Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 18:36 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
HI guys,

As the title says, has anyone taken delivery of a Transition Patrol (Bike or Frame) as yet?
This is more a question you guys in the U.S. & Canada as they have not yet arrived on European shores and probably won't until December.
I have pre-ordered one and just wanted to know how it rides. I currently have a Covert and love it, based on that, I decided to order one regardless as U.K. Stock was almost sold out before delivery dates were available (or so I am told!) so a test ride was not going to be an option......

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 18:38 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
HI guys,

As the title says, has anyone taken delivery of a Transition Patrol (Bike or Frame) as yet?
This is more a question you guys in the U.S. & Canada as they have not yet arrived on European shores and probably won't until December.
I have pre-ordered one and just wanted to know how it rides. I currently have a Covert and love it, based on that, I decided to order one regardless as U.K. Stock was almost sold out before delivery dates were available (or so I am told!) so a test ride was not going to be an option......

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 18:50 Quote
I got lucky. I was able to buy a medium Patrol that a purchaser decided not to buy. Medium XT build. I had ordered the same bike in the blackberry color, wanted the raw AL. The guys at the Outpost let me know this raw color Patrol was available due to a cancelled order. Picked it up the next day. I have only ridden it once due to carpel tunnel surgery three days later. Galbraith is just up the road from the Outpost. First impression was, amazing! It felt much better than my 2018 Bronson with 11-6 shock and MRP Ribbon coil fork. The Fox suspension on the XT build is amazing. It’s 35 pounds but it climbs just fine. Excellent build for the price. Can’t wait to get back on it. About another week to go.

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 10:32 Quote
Just ordered a medium blueberry frame!

Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 5:41 Quote
Got my GX build raw alloy patrol in a couple of weeks ago and 3 rides in, thought I would share some initial thoughts. I'm 5'9"/175cm and 181lbs/82kg. Overall liking it but I have had some issues with setup and in general so thought I would share.

Zeb was pretty easy to set-up, running stock tokens (whatever that is, haven't opened up yet) and a couple PSI lower than the recommended. Have the compression damping fully open for now as it felt fine but will see as things progress.

Rear suspension was trickier, perhaps similar to the issues reported on pinkbike with the Spire and RockShox set-up. I am coming off a 2019 Stumpjumper evo with a cascade link and 60mm stroke shock for 167mm travel with a DPX2 and obviously that is more travel but I found that the stumpy felt a lot more supple and bottomless. For the patrol, with the stock 3 tokens, at 26% sag it rides like a shorter travel bike, poppy and fun but harsh, at 33% sag it feels ok off the top but blew through the travel super easily. I added a gnar dog token with 1 regular to bring total to 3.5 and at 30% sag that felt good off the top but still bottomed a little too easy, I'm going to try 30% sag with 4.5 tokens and see how that goes.

Some other initial issues:

Clunking and creaking in rear suspension - the lower shock mount/flipchip was not properly installed and was clunking after a quick ride, this was sorted after removing, greasing/loctiteing as appropriate but after one more ride it started making a lot of noise/creaking. I have removed and greased again and it seems to be ok but will be super annoyed if I have to do this regularly with a new bike, not sure if this is a fit/build quality issues. Also had to tighten the lower pivot during the first ride out after appropriately torquing and loctiteing which is not great. Have put a bit more loctite this time so will see what happens.

Headset - I think this is the nature of a 1.5in steerer, in part, but it is a struggle to tighten the properly headset as the spacers etc are harder to get to seat together, this is particularly challenging with a one-up top cap which I'm running. In addition to that, even when properly tightened there is a big space between the headset top cap and the top of the head tube so I am concerned that it will get water, grit and dirt into the headset very easily. Will see on that front but I have put extra grease in to help keep it running smooth. I am going to check with the shop if there is a missing seal or something and if not may try to make one as it's a 1-2mm gap.

as noted, I am liking the bike overall but it has not been the super smooth experience that one hopes for with a new bike. One other thing to note, the early builds (including mine) of size medium get the 150mm Oneup dropper but later builds will get a 180mm (according to the transition support team). This has been fine for me but if you're a bit longer legged that may influence things. Not clear when early/later cutoff is.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 0:06 Quote
spudsmtb wrote:
Got my GX build raw alloy patrol in a couple of weeks ago and 3 rides in, thought I would share some initial thoughts. I'm 5'9"/175cm and 181lbs/82kg. Overall liking it but I have had some issues with setup and in general so thought I would share.

Zeb was pretty easy to set-up, running stock tokens (whatever that is, haven't opened up yet) and a couple PSI lower than the recommended. Have the compression damping fully open for now as it felt fine but will see as things progress.

Rear suspension was trickier, perhaps similar to the issues reported on pinkbike with the Spire and RockShox set-up. I am coming off a 2019 Stumpjumper evo with a cascade link and 60mm stroke shock for 167mm travel with a DPX2 and obviously that is more travel but I found that the stumpy felt a lot more supple and bottomless. For the patrol, with the stock 3 tokens, at 26% sag it rides like a shorter travel bike, poppy and fun but harsh, at 33% sag it feels ok off the top but blew through the travel super easily. I added a gnar dog token with 1 regular to bring total to 3.5 and at 30% sag that felt good off the top but still bottomed a little too easy, I'm going to try 30% sag with 4.5 tokens and see how that goes.

Clunking and creaking in rear suspension - the lower shock mount/flipchip was not properly installed and was clunking after a quick ride, this was sorted after removing, greasing/loctiteing as appropriate but after one more ride it started making a lot of noise/creaking. I have removed and greased again and it seems to be ok but will be super annoyed if I have to do this regularly with a new bike, not sure if this is a fit/build quality issues. Also had to tighten the lower pivot during the first ride out after appropriately torquing and loctiteing which is not great. Have put a bit more loctite this time so will see what happens.

Headset - I think this is the nature of a 1.5in steerer, in part, but it is a struggle to tighten the properly headset as the spacers etc are harder to get to seat together, this is particularly challenging with a one-up top cap which I'm running. In addition to that, even when properly tightened there is a big space between the headset top cap and the top of the head tube so I am concerned that it will get water, grit and dirt into the headset very easily. Will see on that front but I have put extra grease in to help keep it running smooth. I am going to check with the shop if there is a missing seal or something and if not may try to make one as it's a 1-2mm gap.

as noted, I am liking the bike overall but it has not been the super smooth experience that one hopes for with a new bike. One other thing to note, the early builds (including mine) of size medium get the 150mm Oneup dropper but later builds will get a 180mm (according to the transition support team). This has been fine for me but if you're a bit longer legged that may influence things. Not clear when early/later cutoff is.

I have an XT/Fox build Patrol but have noticed a few of these issues. I trust the shop that I bought my bike from so assume it was built properly, but headset loosened up after a few ride and was knocking. The shop pulled it apart when I brought it in after 7 rides (complementary first service to check everything over) and said the headset was already dirty/gritty inside. To be fair, one of those rides was an absolute mudder in Whistler but my previous bike headset was barely dirty after a year of riding. I have an EDC (threaded) in there now and had to tighten it up a bit 2 rides after the shop installed it, dunno if that is normal.

Today I was messing around with suspension setup in my yard and noticed a clunking when compressing the shock by pushing down on the saddle with my arm, noticed the seatstay pivots were a bit loose.

@tbernert - curious how you find the rear end of the Patrol compared to your Bronson with an 11-6? The 38 feels awesome but having trouble getting the X2 dialed in, feels kinda muted and harsh at higher speeds, running 30% sag. To be fair I haven't cracked it open to see if it has 0, 1 or 2 spacers in it yet.

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 4:20 Quote
My freshly built up sentinel!
170 Marzocchi bomber z1 air
Full GX AXS
I9 101 Hubs
Dt swiss ex511 hoops
Sram Code R breaks
Sram centerline X 180mm rotors front and rear
Minions DHR2 rear DHF front
Renthal cockpit with 33mm sram and 35mm 30mil rise bar
Deathgrip grips
Wolf tooth remote
Oneup 150m dropper
Hope 24mm bb with Raceface cranks
Float X2 shock
XX1 gold chain

Crappy living room photo for now haha

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 6:45 Quote
Anybody have the actual max seat post insertion for a 2018-2020 medium patrol? Seems like it's more than the stated 185mm. Trying to avoid pulling out my dropper to measure if it's already been confirmed. thanks.

Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 17:29 Quote
Me too, Roval carbon controls, 30 mm internal width, with stock Disector & rekon. All good.

privateer-wheels wrote:
Mfacey wrote:
Hi all,

I'm doing my research on a Spur X01 model. I've invested in a handbuilt wheelset with 30mm DT rims and i9 Hydra hubs that I would like to carry over to the Spur. What's the clearance on the Spur like? Could you still run 2.4 tires front and rear on 30mm rims? Its running 25mm stock from what I can read.... Anyone have experience to share?

I use 30mm/2.4", no clearance issues. That 5mm doesn't change the overall width of the tire massively.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
Wow! it's 7 years ago today that I started this thread! Eek

It's certainly been a well used thread with lots of valuable information shared between us.
Thanks for all of your input!

Keep posting your Transitions guy! tup

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
slipperyb wrote:
Anybody have the actual max seat post insertion for a 2018-2020 medium patrol? Seems like it's more than the stated 185mm. Trying to avoid pulling out my dropper to measure if it's already been confirmed. thanks.

It depends, they did a running change after the first year of the SBG. Even transition was confused about it when i asked them about it. first year has less insertion, I don't remember the exact numbers.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
Anyone know if this reservoir can will clear on a V2 Sentinel Large frame?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3169363/

Kinda torn between the Jade and a Topaz.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 5:24 Quote
groghunter wrote:
It depends, they did a running change after the first year of the SBG. Even transition was confused about it when i asked them about it. first year has less insertion, I don't remember the exact numbers.

Fair enough, specifically I'm referencing the '19/'20 models. So I went ahead and shoved a OneUp dropper in as far as it would go while still being operational, and did the math based on the dropper post specs, and it seems a Medium Aluminum Patrol can fit 205mm of dropper post with the cable connected. I then swapped posts to PNW Loam dropper, and did the same thing with that post, and it fit 220mm of that post while still functioning normally. So for future info, it looks like a medium AL '19/20 patrol can fit 205-220mm depending on post type.

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 6:47 Quote
slipperyb wrote:
groghunter wrote:

Fair enough, specifically I'm referencing the '19/'20 models. So I went ahead and shoved a OneUp dropper in as far as it would go while still being operational, and did the math based on the dropper post specs, and it seems a Medium Aluminum Patrol can fit 205mm of dropper post with the cable connected. I then swapped posts to PNW Loam dropper, and did the same thing with that post, and it fit 220mm of that post while still functioning normally. So for future info, it looks like a medium AL '19/20 patrol can fit 205-220mm depending on post type.

In that case, 185 is probably applicable to the first year of SBG patrols only then. your numbers line up with my memory, i just couldn't pull it out of the back of my brain unprompted.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 18:03 Quote
gramboh wrote:
spudsmtb wrote:

I have an XT/Fox build Patrol but have noticed a few of these issues. I trust the shop that I bought my bike from so assume it was built properly, but headset loosened up after a few ride and was knocking. The shop pulled it apart when I brought it in after 7 rides (complementary first service to check everything over) and said the headset was already dirty/gritty inside. To be fair, one of those rides was an absolute mudder in Whistler but my previous bike headset was barely dirty after a year of riding. I have an EDC (threaded) in there now and had to tighten it up a bit 2 rides after the shop installed it, dunno if that is normal.

Today I was messing around with suspension setup in my yard and noticed a clunking when compressing the shock by pushing down on the saddle with my arm, noticed the seatstay pivots were a bit loose.

@tbernert - curious how you find the rear end of the Patrol compared to your Bronson with an 11-6? The 38 feels awesome but having trouble getting the X2 dialed in, feels kinda muted and harsh at higher speeds, running 30% sag. To be fair I haven't cracked it open to see if it has 0, 1 or 2 spacers in it yet.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008536
Mobile Version of Website