Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 8:23 Quote
I’m 5’9 with long legs / shorter arms and torso and I’m on a medium alloy 2022 sentinel with a 50mm stem.

I’m about right - but if you have long torso / arms you may want to size up to the large. In terms of dropper I’m running a 210mm one v2 dropper at full extension and the lower of the post could drop further into the frame if needed - it’s got a straight seat tube essentially.

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 8:28 Quote
Cheers Joe.

What's it like pedalling on the boring flat stuff? My patrol is a bit sluggish which doesn't help chasing mates on SB150's and speccy enduros!

JoeBristol wrote:
I’m 5’9 with long legs / shorter arms and torso and I’m on a medium alloy 2022 sentinel with a 50mm stem.

I’m about right - but if you have long torso / arms you may want to size up to the large. In terms of dropper I’m running a 210mm one v2 dropper at full extension and the lower of the post could drop further into the frame if needed - it’s got a straight seat tube essentially.

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 9:48 Quote
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:
Cheers Joe.

What's it like pedalling on the boring flat stuff? My patrol is a bit sluggish which doesn't help chasing mates on SB150's and speccy enduros!

JoeBristol wrote:

I think that’s the 27.5 vs 29er wheels rolling you’re experiencing! If you pump and let off the brakes the 29ers keep momentum and roll faster.

I’m 5’7 on a v1 medium Sentinel, with a 35mm stem and 20 rise Oneup bars.

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 11:49 Quote
Yeah of course, just wondered how the sentinel goes when pinching out the miles on a flat.

Don’t get me wrong, the patrol rips downwards.

Pyres wrote:
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:
Cheers Joe.

JoeBristol wrote:

I think that’s the 27.5 vs 29er wheels rolling you’re experiencing! If you pump and let off the brakes the 29ers keep momentum and roll faster.

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 13:04 Quote
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:
Cheers Joe.

JoeBristol wrote:

I think the Sentinel v2 pedals better than any of the Patrols - even the mullet one.

I’d say it pedals pretty well for the type of bike it is - it’s more poppy than I expected with the amount of travel and geometry on paper.

It’s good on steep tech and it’s good on even flowy descents tbh. I’d say on very pedally flat singletrack you notice the weight / heft a bit.

That said it’s my first 29er and whilst it doesn’t accelerate out of corners quite as well as my previous 650b bike (Bird Aether 7) it keeps up speed much better. I find myself spinning along really nicely and keeping up a higher average pace. I’d say the 29er version of the same tyres also find more grip than the 650b version. Particularly the dhr2 I’ve got on the rear - it find more traction on slippery climbs - and I’ve cleared stuff on the Sentinel that I could clear on the Aether. The Sentinel is probably 1-2lbs heavier than the Aether.

I should add both the Aether and the Sentinel run a coil shock - I prefer it to the air shocks as it holds up firmer in the mid range and wallows less through compressions.

Posted: Jan 6, 2023 at 14:47 Quote
Not sure this helps but I had a large 2016 Patrol. I'm 6' with 6' 4" arm span.

I just changed to a large Spire and sold the Patrol to someone about 5' 9". He's very happy on it.

The Spire is 485 reach versus 457 and for me it's better everywhere than the Patrol. I've cleaned climbs I never have before as well as ripping downhills, of course. The large is great for me but it's a big bike. If I were you on the Sentinel I'd be leading to the medium for more fun and pop on flatter trails but depends a lot on terrain and preference.

Talking about reach, my old original Nukeproof Mega was 435 in a large! I've still got PBs on it I'll not come close to. I think bikes have got bigger but will start to come back down again at some point!

Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 0:17 Quote
Great feedback cheers diggery/joe.

The spire would be too much for what I ride, hence the ‘do it all’ need.

An ideal world would be an aggressive smuggler!

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 0:59 Quote
Apparently an updated smuggler is coming this year. According to an mtbr thread anyway.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2023-smuggler.1209135/page-2

Posted: Jan 7, 2023 at 17:49 Quote
sourmix wrote:
sourmix wrote:
Looking for Scout owners who have ridden it stock for a while then swapped over to the 150mm shock option.
How did it change the ride feel and handling, what was most obvious upsides/downsides?
TIA!
*BUMP*
Still curious - anyone out there?

I came off a 2019 Patrol with DVO Diamond fork and Jade X rear coil at the standard 165mm travel. I ended up getting two stroke reducers for the Jade X, one 5mm (for 140mm) and one 2.5mm (for 150mm). In addition, I bought the travel reduction kit for the fork to bring it down to 150mm.

I really didnt want to break the fork open to install the travel reducers just yet, so I figured I would try it at 170/150 to start with in order to mimic the Patrol a bit before I went the 150/140 route. I asked Transition about it and they said it effectively "tilts" the bike back a bit (slacker HA ~63 deg, steeper SA, higher BB), but definitely wouldnt void any warrantee. It actually rides so good that I have left it like that since I built the bike up a year ago - super precise on downhills, can still hit big stuff, and did 100k of climbing on it in 2022.

Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 5:30 Quote
I know timing will be against me on that, guaranteed it will launch as i buy something!

appltn wrote:
Apparently an updated smuggler is coming this year. According to an mtbr thread anyway.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/2023-smuggler.1209135/page-2

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 23:29 Quote
My 5th Transition. 165mm Eewings just fitted. Might just be my favorite bike of all time.

Eewings just fitted. Might just be my favorite bike of all time. Transition Spur

Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 5:28 Quote
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:
Yeah of course, just wondered how the sentinel goes when pinching out the miles on a flat.

Pyres wrote:
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:
Cheers Joe.

Of course it rips

I also had a Patrol and I remember this friend of mine that rode with me, when he bought a Hightower I suddenly had to pedal on flat sections just to keep up with him while he was relaxed and only “pumping “ his way around. Couple of months later I got my Sentinel. 2 and a half years later I still have it. Tried to get something else but then I go for a ride and see no point about selling it. Love it

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 6:28 Quote
Pyres wrote:
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:

Pyres wrote:

Of course it rips

I also had a Patrol and I remember this friend of mine that rode with me, when he bought a Hightower I suddenly had to pedal on flat sections just to keep up with him while he was relaxed and only “pumping “ his way around. Couple of months later I got my Sentinel. 2 and a half years later I still have it. Tried to get something else but then I go for a ride and see no point about selling it. Love it

Get yourself a cascade components link and you will love it even more.

Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 7:45 Quote
s3ntin3l wrote:
Pyres wrote:
CHRISSYWADDLE wrote:

Of course it rips

Get yourself a cascade components link and you will love it even more.

My sentinel v2 alloy already has a cascade link with a CC Kitsuma coil shock. Bloody brilliant so far - a couple of rides in on the cascade link and it’s stayed poppy and pedalling well but it’s even more mega through rocky / rooty chundery stuff.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021338
Mobile Version of Website