Will a 650b wheel with DH tire fit on a 26" Fox 40?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Will a 650b wheel with DH tire fit on a 26" Fox 40?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Oct 20, 2014 at 13:52 Quote
If anyone knows from personal experience, or can provide a radius measurement (ie: center of axle to outside of tire) from a 650b with a 2.35+ DH tire so I can do the math, I'd really appreciate it. Would love to test out a 650 on the front of my DH bike (newer Turner DHR with older Fox 40) without dropping a bunch of cash, and it looks like alot of the other 26" Fox forks work with a 650 wheel, so I figured my chances are decent the 40 does too... just couldn't find anything on google confirming it.

Any help/guidance would be very much appreciated!

Posted: Oct 20, 2014 at 17:30 Quote
mdibo wrote:
If anyone knows from personal experience, or can provide a radius measurement (ie: center of axle to outside of tire) from a 650b with a 2.35+ DH tire so I can do the math, I'd really appreciate it. Would love to test out a 650 on the front of my DH bike (newer Turner DHR with older Fox 40) without dropping a bunch of cash, and it looks like alot of the other 26" Fox forks work with a 650 wheel, so I figured my chances are decent the 40 does too... just couldn't find anything on google confirming it.

Any help/guidance would be very much appreciated!

My 26" wheels run 2.7" wide kenda blue grooves and the over all diameter is a 1/4" larger than my 27.5 with 2.20s so a 27.5 with 2.35s should fit.

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 13:52 Quote
Check that the tire clears the bottom of the crown at full fork compression before riding (air down the fork or pull the coil spring). If the tire bottoms on the crown at high speed, you're hosed.

Posted: Oct 21, 2014 at 17:12 Quote
tbagtantalizer wrote:
My 26" wheels run 2.7" wide kenda blue grooves and the over all diameter is a 1/4" larger than my 27.5 with 2.20s so a 27.5 with 2.35s should fit.

Thanks! Your post prompted me to double check... looks like my existing wheel/tire combo (2.6" Kenda) is about 27.25 and I probably have a bit more than 1/2" to work with, so I'm guessing a 2.35 or 2.4 will probably work. That said, it does beg the question... why bother? Does having less sidewall make that much of a difference? I can't imagine an extra 1/4" of wheel diameter is going to do much...

OctoHammer wrote:
Check that the tire clears the bottom of the crown at full fork compression before riding (air down the fork or pull the coil spring). If the tire bottoms on the crown at high speed, you're hosed.

I was definitely planning on pulling the spring and checking clearance regardless, but since I don't know anyone with a 650b DH bike, a decent DH 650 front wheel runs $300'ish (as does a set of outlaws...), and tires ain't cheap, I was hoping for some information beforehand.

That said, I'll probably hold off for now since it really doesn't seem like I'll be getting that big of a gain, but it does sounds like it will work.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 11:53 Quote
Another thing you may want to consider since you can probably make the fork fit the tire is the angle of rake on the fork lowers. For the fork to help compensate for the extra 1.5 inches it has to have a slightly increased angle of rake. This is not detrimental to ride, but because of slacker angle you will find the cockpit more sluggish due to this.

Coot

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 5:00 Quote
can anyone confirm whether this will work?
I have a 2010 fox 40.. any winning wheel/tire combo for enough clearance at full travel?

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 20:31 Quote
Wow, 4 years later and I just attempted this reverse mullet experiment on my 2012 V10 and 40 Fit RC2. I took a 650b Roval DH wheel and slapped a WTB Convict 2.4 on it and it has ample clearance from the fork arch. I removed the coil, compressed the stanchions all the way into the lowers, and no issue that I can discern.

However, the shorter offset of the 26er lowers made for my 203mm rotor to smash up into the caliper. My choices are:

1) Replace the lowers with a 650b set (which I just bought second-hand)

2) use the 26er lowers but add spacers between the brake mount and caliper mounting holes

3) use the 26er lowers and swap the 203mm rotors with a 180mm rotor

Option #1 seems to make the most sense, so I'll have my shop swap everything out when it's time for a fork service...

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 5:54 Quote
Hey dude thanks for trying it and updating us!!

Good to know about the brake, that didn't even cross my mind.
Also cool to know you can swap just the lowers.. is it as simple as just buying the 650b lowers? I.e. will original seals and internals from the old lowers fit?
I have an older 40 but interested to know anyway
Thanks

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 6:23 Quote
nordland071285 wrote:
Hey dude thanks for trying it and updating us!!

Good to know about the brake, that didn't even cross my mind.
Also cool to know you can swap just the lowers.. is it as simple as just buying the 650b lowers? I.e. will original seals and internals from the old lowers fit?
I have an older 40 but interested to know anyway
Thanks

I’ve read that it is possible to swap lowers on Ridemonkey forum posts, but won’t
know until I bring it in. I got a set of Float lowers off PB for $40 with nothing inside so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Check this thread out: https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/fox-float-40-26-to-650b-conversion.270550/page-2

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 15:10 Quote
Thanks dude, I'd be really grateful if you could post your conclusions when youve done it too Smile

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 5:29 Quote
nordland071285 wrote:
Thanks dude, I'd be really grateful if you could post your conclusions when youve done it too Smile

yo, i've a 2011 fork and a spare set of 2016 lowers kicking around so I measured them up.

The lowers are all interchangeable and use the same seals, so you can swap new ones on your old fork. You will need new brake adapters though cos they use post mount instead of IS mount.

The old style lowers can fit 27.5 but you might not be able to get a mudguard or a big tire on. 2.35 schwalbe and most maxxis tires should be ok.
fox changed the lowers from 2015 on and the 26'' versions fit 27.5s better than the old ones, so if you can find them for cheap also that's another option. I'm told shorter fork offset can make it ride nicer but i can't tell that stuff apart.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 5:47 Quote
Thanks so much dude, that's really useful info!

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012000
Mobile Version of Website