Flickable 650b

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Flickable 650b
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 9:26 Quote
I'm looking for suggestions for a medium travel trail bike, that has the fast handeling and fun written all over it.
I am not super familiar with the newest wave of 650b bikes, so all suggestions welcome.
thanks

Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 12:16 Quote
what is your budget?

One pretty popular one is the Santa Cruz 5010/solo

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 14:49 Quote
134/153 process. Lowest top tube possible. Steer with you feet kind of bikes. Best compromise of playful and just plain fast going. There are better climbers and more plush but they just ooze fun. It's the Dh /bike pike rider bike

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 1:24 Quote
the word "flickable" = Kona Process 153

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 7:48 Quote
brianl wrote:
what is your budget?

at the moment I have not set a budget, I plan to build from scratch and will tweak the part selection accordingly

it's funny you mentioned the solo I started off hunting for a discounted Carbon trc frame - then I got into the idea that this bike will have to last for 5 years of riding future so 650b seems like a good all round fit...

I just wonder if the chainstays on the solo couldn't be shorter...

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 11:51 Quote
JungleT wrote:
brianl wrote:
what is your budget?

at the moment I have not set a budget, I plan to build from scratch and will tweak the part selection accordingly

it's funny you mentioned the solo I started off hunting for a discounted Carbon trc frame - then I got into the idea that this bike will have to last for 5 years of riding future so 650b seems like a good all round fit...

I just wonder if the chainstays on the solo couldn't be shorter...
on paper the 5010 doesn't have "new school" geometry, but it rides very nice.
I didn't buy one partly because they are expensive up here (the demo I rode listed at $7300), plus I'm 5'8" with a long torso, and the medium's TT is just a bit shorter than I wanted. If you can get access to a demo, take it for a ride.

Aside from the Kona Process everyone here is suggesting, also check out the Giant Trance.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 22:50 Quote
[Quote="brianl"
on paper the 5010 doesn't have "new school" geometry[/Quote]

forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by this? and is it just the kona, or are other brands going to follow suit?

thanks very much

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 11:39 Quote
JungleT wrote:
[Quote="brianl"
on paper the 5010 doesn't have "new school" geometry

forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by this? and is it just the kona, or are other brands going to follow suit?

thanks very much[/Quote]
Longer TT, short stem (I think the Process comes with 40mm stem), shorter chainstays, slacker HA.
Some brands aren't following, some are. It might be a fashion that changes again in a couple of years.

Posted: Nov 10, 2014 at 8:18 Quote
Loving my Devinci Troy...super short, playful and a handful of fun.

Posted: Nov 11, 2014 at 9:16 Quote
Just got a Kona Process 134 DL very quick and nimble bike

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 at 20:43 Quote
+1 on the kona process for the aggressive and playful geometry. you won't be dissappointed.

also check out the knolly warden, giant trance, and banshee spitfire.. all very dialed goemetry.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2014 at 13:23 Quote
canfield balance

Posted: Nov 24, 2014 at 15:04 Quote
+1 for Kona Process DL
I've had mine for 8 months now and it is just a fun bike to ride.
I test rode a few other bikes along the way and they all felt "squirrelly" when riden slow.
I love this bike.

Posted: Nov 27, 2014 at 22:14 Quote
Any opinions on the Transition scout? I'm thinking of getting one.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014223
Mobile Version of Website