Flickable 650b

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Flickable 650b
Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 10:15 Quote
thanks for the input I was a torn between the kona process and transition scout, I ended up going with the scout. (I'm building it up as light as I can, the trails I ride are mostly gnarly XC ish)
chose the scout for a few reasons but the real clincher may seem like a silly reason
I do a lot of short rides (1h) in the morning before work and I can't stand having the water bottle under the down tube, the scout has it in the frame.
waiting for the January sales to finishe gettingn all the components I need now Smile

Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 23:01 Quote
JungleT wrote:
chose the scout for a few reasons but the real clincher may seem like a silly reason
I do a lot of short rides (1h) in the morning before work and I can't stand having the water bottle under the down tube, the scout has it in the frame.

did you happen to notice the new Giant Reign? It also has your water bottle mount https://dirtragmag.com/first-ride-2015-giant-reign-advanced-27-5-1/

Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 21:35 Quote
JungleT wrote:
thanks for the input I was a torn between the kona process and transition scout, I ended up going with the scout. (I'm building it up as light as I can, the trails I ride are mostly gnarly XC ish)
waiting for the January sales to finishe gettingn all the components I need now Smile
Post up a photo when you're done mate. Also you're impressions. cheers.

Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 21:40 Quote
esstinkay wrote:
JungleT wrote:

did you happen to notice the new Giant Reign? It also has your water bottle mount https://dirtragmag.com/first-ride-2015-giant-reign-advanced-27-5-1/
I took the new reign out for a demo. I thought it had lost some fun factor compared to the 2013 model. Latest pinkbike review confirmed what I thought. They are more stable now cause aiming to be an enduro race bike rather than burly trail bike. The trance seems to be the burly trail bike now with its updated geometry but I haven't ridden a new model. My old 09 trance is definitely more at the xc end of the trail bike scale by today's standards.

Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 21:41 Quote
Looking at the yeti sb66, it seems like the geometry is almost the same as the Kona process 134, which would be a better all around er for the PNW?

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 5:56 Quote
MorganBH wrote:
Looking at the yeti sb66, it seems like the geometry is almost the same as the Kona process 134, which would be a better all around er for the PNW?
the sb66 was an amazing bike! The only problem is they stopped making them. But if u can get a good deal, or wanna build up (frames go for around 1000 online) then that could be awesome

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 14:40 Quote
I want a split between my Santa Cruz TRc and Nomad Carbon (both 26s) in a 27.5. Right now, based on input from you guys, I'm looking at the Kona Process 153 DL. the TRc is my love, but need a little more travel at times. What about the SC Bronson? I'll check out the Yeti, but I like what I see in the 153 specs.
Also - I need 3 similar bikes for me and my two boys, 16 and 20. Rt now, someone has to take turns on the 29er hardtail.

Other suggestions?

Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 22:28 Quote
@ajjrsons, if you love the blur, you'll love the bronson. here's a good read for you: http://www.bermstyle.com/bike-check-santa-cruz-blur-trc-aka-review-part-3/

Posted: Dec 31, 2014 at 6:10 Quote
Reeb bikes make one. Search for Oskar Blues Brewery.

Posted: Dec 31, 2014 at 15:22 Quote
Santa Cruz 5010. Love mine

Posted: Dec 31, 2014 at 15:23 Quote
JungleT wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for a medium travel trail bike, that has the fast handeling and fun written all over it.
I am not super familiar with the newest wave of 650b bikes, so all suggestions welcome.
thanks

Santa Cruz 5010. Love mine!!

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2015 at 1:10 Quote
I'm loving my process 134. the stock sektor fork is a let down, but a 2014 float 34 can be had for a great price since everyone is jumping to the pike.

compared to my last bike (a 2012 reign), I feel it is just as maneuverable, but gives me the single pivot sensitivity that I felt was lost with the maestro/vpp design. definitely suggest giving one a try if you can find one. My friend rides a bronson, which is also a great bike, but i didn't connect with it like the process. something about it felt numb, but that could be the way he sets up his suspension

Posted: Jan 2, 2015 at 8:42 Quote
oogens wrote:
I'm loving my process 134. the stock sektor fork is a let down, but a 2014 float 34 can be had for a great price since everyone is jumping to the pike.

compared to my last bike (a 2012 reign), I feel it is just as maneuverable, but gives me the single pivot sensitivity that I felt was lost with the maestro/vpp design. definitely suggest giving one a try if you can find one. My friend rides a bronson, which is also a great bike, but i didn't connect with it like the process. something about it felt numb, but that could be the way he sets up his suspension

I rented a 134 and it was the bike i've had the most confidence of any bike i've ever ridden (on big jumps). But this is the reason I want a 153 now

Posted: Jan 3, 2015 at 8:17 Quote
esstinkay wrote:
@ajjrsons, if you love the blur, you'll love the bronson. here's a good read for you: http://www.bermstyle.com/bike-check-santa-cruz-blur-trc-aka-review-part-3/

Thanks @esstinkay -- I'll check it out.

Posted: Jun 10, 2015 at 9:51 Quote
sooo
i got the transition scout built up Big Grin and have about 50 miles on it now. which to be totally honest is not much, but they have been some of the most fun 50 I have ever ridden.

I ordered the frame last November but it didn't arrive until May (wtf!) because of some delays with transition, more than a few times I picked up the phone to cancel my order with my LBS but I'm glad I never went through with it.

I think that the PB review of this frame nailed it, I would only like to highlight how impressed I am with the ride position. I'm 5'9ish 165lb and I got a medium frame, I was not looking for an 'in the bike feel' that a larger frame would have offered as by preference I much prefer the 'on the bike feel' however this is an all to binary description of a very personal preference.

the position when climbing seated gives plenty of room and weights the rear wheel very nicely for tech climbs without making the front feel like it's ready to float upwards, it feels stable and wander free in on the ups and the grip really is astounding. it's maybe not the fastest climber but a very comfortable platform when climbing and when on a 2000ft grind it's lovely.

on the downs is where I find the geometry most appealing, the longer front compensates the shorter rear keeping the wheelbase from being too short, yet the wheels are a therefore feel a little more forward of my center of gravity than I was used to, this has enabled me to lean more forwards into the bike without feeling like I'm too far forwards, I know this is very anecdotal, however the results speak for themselves, my cornering is faster my confidence is way up and I have smashed my mates on downhills that we have always been neck and neck on. when in the attack position the bike feels lithe and free, the nimbleness is fantastic and the brute strength of the frame just ups the confidence more. the suspension sucks up the bumps way better than I expected for 125 out back (I have a 140pike up front) and really allows you to focus on lines and pushing hard on the trails, it's just super super fun to be on a frame that feels just right.

anyway that's my 2cents

I found my flickable 650b, but I think any bike with similar approach to geometry and fit would be well worth some serious attention.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013322
Mobile Version of Website