The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
Author Message
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 5:11 Quote
zstover wrote:
zstover wrote:
arweatherby wrote:
Just an FYI and to echo others in this thread as this topic comes up often, I have the 180mm one up dropper on my large aluminum 2020 Slash. It will not slam, sticks out about 40- 50mm from the collar.

Sorry, I was talking about the 2021. I believe it will slam or damn close to slam. I know it does on my M/L 2020 fuel ex, but I run it a bit up from the collar on that one. Both have the same length seat tube and crank length, so my seat height measured from BB centerline should be the same. If it won't slam on the 2021, I'll either shim it down to where it works for me, or live with what it came with and return the 180.

Update on the 2021 slash in M/L. 180mm one up dropper will not fully slam to the collar unless it is inserted backwards/sideways, the actuator hits on the linkage/kink inside. Turns out, I need quite a bit of post extended even with 180mm of travel for proper seat height. Anything longer definitely won't slam on a M/L 2021 slash.

If you could get your hands on the version one actuator that came on the first v2s, it will get you about 5-7mm more drop.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:

If you could get your hands on the version one actuator that came on the first v2s, it will get you about 5-7mm more drop.

Thanks for the heads up. I've tried the 210 on a different bike, but shimmed down to 190mm, I couldn't make it work, it was literally right on the edge of perfect height, but if you changed shoes, it might be too tall.

I settled on the 180mm on the other bike for the same reason, its the most drop I need, and the lower stack height of the collar and seat mount make it work really well.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
I have a preorder in for the teal slash 7 which will arrive early august and the black/grey slash 8 which arrives in mid/late September. I live in BC and summer is primetime riding here, my current bike is no longer cutting it as I bought a cheap beginner bike to see if I would even like the sport. The price difference between the 7 and 8 wasn't the issue so much as availability, I also like the teal colour option I was getting on the slash 7. I'm an intermediate level rider and would hope to keep this bike for years to come and hoping to progress to harder blacks and double blacks, I would be hitting all the terrain that BC has to offer including bike parks.

Question: would it be a big mistake to go for a 7 when it comes with downgraded braking, shocks, and forks compared to the slash 8?

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
Yes. You want the code Rs and gx eagle. Fork is better, also you get the same shock the carbon big dick swingers get. I almost went slash 7, but am glad I didn't.

Only thing I didn't like on it to start was the dropper.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 20:13 Quote
I bought a Trek Slash 8 and i had the same thing with my internal cable routing bought it in Kelowna, BC. Also now having huge creaking issues on this bike my pivot bolts and threaded bottom bracket that everyone is so stoked about keep backing out and its very annoying to take the cranks off to tighten every 5 rides. Also weird things going on with the chainline on this i don't totally understand and it'll shift down gears if i pedal backwards.

overall could not be more stoked on how the bike rides and the performance. when this thing is running tight it is a monster!

zstover wrote:
Just picked up a brand new 2021 slash 8. It is so so so so so good. I am in love. It is way too much travel for most of our local trails, but I've got a fuel ex for those when the wife and I aren't riding together (she rides the fuel, I ride the slash on shorter days).

2 big gripes, both of which are to be blamed on Trek assembly and the LBS that assembled it.

1) cables and hoses should run OUTSIDE the tabs in the in frame storage. Idk if it was assembly or LBS error, but they routed them through the opening of the in frame storage and made it a huge PITA to get the flat kit in. I cut the zip ties, moved it to the correct spot and resecured the cables.

2) The LBS f*cked up the assembly of the knock block....when I got the bike the headset was tight, but there was a huge gap between the cover and first spacer and I could barspin with the stop chip installed. Why? They put the bars on, didn't bother to get the spacers and grooves together and tightened it up. How the f*ck do you f*ck up a knock block when 90% of this shops volume is trek bikes?

I did a full bolt check of the bike when I got it home and am really glad I found this. I don't want to shit on the bike mechanics, so this is 100% on the shop for not paying them enough, and not giving them enough time to actually complete labor correctly.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 3:15 Quote
SA-Shore wrote:
I bought a Trek Slash 8 and i had the same thing with my internal cable routing bought it in Kelowna, BC. Also now having huge creaking issues on this bike my pivot bolts and threaded bottom bracket that everyone is so stoked about keep backing out and its very annoying to take the cranks off to tighten every 5 rides. Also weird things going on with the chainline on this i don't totally understand and it'll shift down gears if i pedal backwards.

overall could not be more stoked on how the bike rides and the performance. when this thing is running tight it is a monster!


Is this your first 1x12? They tend to be very unhappy when pedaled backwards at all in like the 4 lowest gears. Mostly the 2 lowest gears for sure.

I'd consider taking your pivot bolts out completely, clean the bolts and the threads completely with degreaser. Grease the pivot surfaces only, reapply loctite to the threads when fully clean and retorque.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
Does anyone know the progression rate for the 2021 trek slash? I have currently a bird Aeris am9 with a RockShox super deluxe coil ultimate on it and I am wanting to get a slash but swap the coil and fork over and I am wanting to know how it will ride?
Does anyone run a slash with a coil and could comment on how it rides, does it bottom out a lot ect?

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
Hamez-123 wrote:
Does anyone know the progression rate for the 2021 trek slash? I have currently a bird Aeris am9 with a RockShox super deluxe coil ultimate on it and I am wanting to get a slash but swap the coil and fork over and I am wanting to know how it will ride?
Does anyone run a slash with a coil and could comment on how it rides, does it bottom out a lot ect?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-0hZTnQSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlmvAlIPuw

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
mitch160 wrote:
Hamez-123 wrote:
Does anyone know the progression rate for the 2021 trek slash? I have currently a bird Aeris am9 with a RockShox super deluxe coil ultimate on it and I am wanting to get a slash but swap the coil and fork over and I am wanting to know how it will ride?
Does anyone run a slash with a coil and could comment on how it rides, does it bottom out a lot ect?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F-0hZTnQSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlmvAlIPuw
Amazing thank you for that

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
Jamzbund wrote:
I have a preorder in for the teal slash 7 which will arrive early august and the black/grey slash 8 which arrives in mid/late September. I live in BC and summer is primetime riding here, my current bike is no longer cutting it as I bought a cheap beginner bike to see if I would even like the sport. The price difference between the 7 and 8 wasn't the issue so much as availability, I also like the teal colour option I was getting on the slash 7. I'm an intermediate level rider and would hope to keep this bike for years to come and hoping to progress to harder blacks and double blacks, I would be hitting all the terrain that BC has to offer including bike parks.

Question: would it be a big mistake to go for a 7 when it comes with downgraded braking, shocks, and forks compared to the slash 8?

Wait for the 8. The extra month (or two) won't mean anything a year or two into owning the bike. The 8 is a great spec, and gives up nothing until you hit the 9.8, and all you really gain there IMO is the carbon wheels IMO.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 23:29 Quote
Looking into buying an oval chainring for my 2021 Trek Slash 8. I read that 32T 3mm offset works for 2019/2020 models, will it also work for the 2021 version of the bike?
Just wanna make sure before i order all the way from germany.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 0:10 Quote
im running the AB oval on the xt crank with no problems

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
olliridestrek wrote:
Looking into buying an oval chainring for my 2021 Trek Slash 8. I read that 32T 3mm offset works for 2019/2020 models, will it also work for the 2021 version of the bike?
Just wanna make sure before i order all the way from germany.

Answers probably no. The chainline is different between the two bikes.

There's been some discussion about chainrings etc in this thread: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=218428 Probably around the page 100 mark.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
olliridestrek wrote:
Looking into buying an oval chainring for my 2021 Trek Slash 8. I read that 32T 3mm offset works for 2019/2020 models, will it also work for the 2021 version of the bike?
Just wanna make sure before i order all the way from germany.

Answers probably no. The chainline is different between the two bikes.

There's been some discussion about chainrings etc in this thread: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=218428 Probably around the page 100 mark.

According to trek specs it’s a boost crankset so boost chainring will be the go. Have a close look at the writing on the chainring front n back if not sure, if it says boost, that’s what you need. There is only one “boost” offset, chain line of the previous model is irelivant.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 23:28 Quote
Thanks mate, gonna look further into it!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006906
Mobile Version of Website