The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
Author Message
Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 5:43 Quote
Hello, it's nice to see so many fork/shock conversion for previous Slash generation....I'm on the edge of changing fork to my beloved Slash 8 2019 (size M), from Yari to Lyrik ultimate. Recently I've found some good bargain, but with 42mm offset versus the original Yari offset of 51mm.
Do someone could help deciding? Will I found it too short for my bike/body size (I'm 170cm)?
My bike has original kit, with exception for shorter stem (from 50mm to 40mm).
Based on HOURS of youtube video and article readings I guess that shortest fork offset sounds "good", mabye I'll gain some front-end traction, since I'm confident on steep trails while on less steep situations I tend to have some kind of under-steering sensation.
Any advice, experience, sharing of impression of who switched from 51mm offset to 42-44mm could help, I'm just an amateur, but still want to improve my Slash.

Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 6:19 Quote
Bogob80 wrote:
Hello, it's nice to see so many fork/shock conversion for previous Slash generation....I'm on the edge of changing fork to my beloved Slash 8 2019 (size M), from Yari to Lyrik ultimate. Recently I've found some good bargain, but with 42mm offset versus the original Yari offset of 51mm.
Do someone could help deciding? Will I found it too short for my bike/body size (I'm 170cm)?
My bike has original kit, with exception for shorter stem (from 50mm to 40mm).
Based on HOURS of youtube video and article readings I guess that shortest fork offset sounds "good", mabye I'll gain some front-end traction, since I'm confident on steep trails while on less steep situations I tend to have some kind of under-steering sensation.
Any advice, experience, sharing of impression of who switched from 51mm offset to 42-44mm could help, I'm just an amateur, but still want to improve my Slash.

The shorter offset works really well for the Slash. Mine is 44mm and I am 168cm (I ride a medium). Also your 40mm stem will work better with a 44mm rake vs a 51mm one.

In my experience, shorter offsets are generally better for head angles less than 65 degrees so you might want to overfork by 10mm. What I mean is, instead of getting a 160mm fork (like the stock one), replace it with a 170mm instead.

Posted: Oct 11, 2022 at 3:15 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
Bogob80 wrote:
Hello, it's nice to see so many fork/shock conversion for previous Slash generation....I'm on the edge of changing fork to my beloved Slash 8 2019 (size M), from Yari to Lyrik ultimate. Recently I've found some good bargain, but with 42mm offset versus the original Yari offset of 51mm.
Do someone could help deciding? Will I found it too short for my bike/body size (I'm 170cm)?
My bike has original kit, with exception for shorter stem (from 50mm to 40mm).
Based on HOURS of youtube video and article readings I guess that shortest fork offset sounds "good", mabye I'll gain some front-end traction, since I'm confident on steep trails while on less steep situations I tend to have some kind of under-steering sensation.
Any advice, experience, sharing of impression of who switched from 51mm offset to 42-44mm could help, I'm just an amateur, but still want to improve my Slash.

The shorter offset works really well for the Slash. Mine is 44mm and I am 168cm (I ride a medium). Also your 40mm stem will work better with a 44mm rake vs a 51mm one.

In my experience, shorter offsets are generally better for head angles less than 65 degrees so you might want to overfork by 10mm. What I mean is, instead of getting a 160mm fork (like the stock one), replace it with a 170mm instead.


Sure mate, the idea is to "overfork", the one I choose is exactly 170mm, but I can always shorten it.
Digging into geometry maniacs I've found this useful site for comparing the 2 forks on my bike (160mm 51mm offset vs 170mm 42mm offset). The biggest difference are on reach, which I find already short and wheelbase.
See numbers:

The real question is...How will it ride?
Another fact: is 17cm of steerer tube enough for Slash 2019 frame?

Posted: Oct 11, 2022 at 5:00 Quote
17cm is ample enough for your steerer tube length, mine is at 16-ish and I still have spacers and a knock-block in there.

Another thing you might want to note is that axle-to-crown lengths of different manufacturers/models are different. If I remember correctly, a Lyrik has a longer a2c length than a same travel Fox 36.

As for the change in the ride, I came from a 51mm 160 Fox 36 to a 44mm 170 Fox 36 and my impression is that I could turn a little bit better on steep turns so I liked it. The trails in the mountain I usually ride in points downward so I haven't been able to try mellower trails (or climbs, actually).

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 4:55 Quote
Bogob80 wrote:
Hello, it's nice to see so many fork/shock conversion for previous Slash generation....I'm on the edge of changing fork to my beloved Slash 8 2019 (size M), from Yari to Lyrik ultimate. Recently I've found some good bargain, but with 42mm offset versus the original Yari offset of 51mm.
Do someone could help deciding? Will I found it too short for my bike/body size (I'm 170cm)?
My bike has original kit, with exception for shorter stem (from 50mm to 40mm).
Based on HOURS of youtube video and article readings I guess that shortest fork offset sounds "good", mabye I'll gain some front-end traction, since I'm confident on steep trails while on less steep situations I tend to have some kind of under-steering sensation.
Any advice, experience, sharing of impression of who switched from 51mm offset to 42-44mm could help, I'm just an amateur, but still want to improve my Slash.

For going from yari to lyric ultimate you only need to install the charger 2.1 damper cartridge.

Posted: Oct 19, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
Msahr wrote:
Bogob80 wrote:
Hello, it's nice to see so many fork/shock conversion for previous Slash generation....I'm on the edge of changing fork to my beloved Slash 8 2019 (size M), from Yari to Lyrik ultimate. Recently I've found some good bargain, but with 42mm offset versus the original Yari offset of 51mm.
Do someone could help deciding? Will I found it too short for my bike/body size (I'm 170cm)?
My bike has original kit, with exception for shorter stem (from 50mm to 40mm).
Based on HOURS of youtube video and article readings I guess that shortest fork offset sounds "good", mabye I'll gain some front-end traction, since I'm confident on steep trails while on less steep situations I tend to have some kind of under-steering sensation.
Any advice, experience, sharing of impression of who switched from 51mm offset to 42-44mm could help, I'm just an amateur, but still want to improve my Slash.

For going from yari to lyric ultimate you only need to install the charger 2.1 damper cartridge.


Sure I know, but in the end I managed to sell the YARI for a very good price and bought a Lyrik Ultimate for less than the price of a "Charger 2.1 upgrade". I'm waiting the shipping, I'm eager to test it!

Posted: Oct 19, 2022 at 21:12 Quote
Hey i don't if this has been awnsered yet but I have a slash 8 2021 and I wanted to put a dual crown on it for the park. Is it possible? Is it worth it? What fork should I get? Thanks for any info/opinion!

Posted: Nov 1, 2022 at 8:49 Quote
Bogob80 wrote:
Msahr wrote:
Bogob80 wrote:
Hello, it's nice to see so many fork/shock conversion for previous Slash generation....I'm on the edge of changing fork to my beloved Slash 8 2019 (size M), from Yari to Lyrik ultimate. Recently I've found some good bargain, but with 42mm offset versus the original Yari offset of 51mm.
Do someone could help deciding? Will I found it too short for my bike/body size (I'm 170cm)?
My bike has original kit, with exception for shorter stem (from 50mm to 40mm).
Based on HOURS of youtube video and article readings I guess that shortest fork offset sounds "good", mabye I'll gain some front-end traction, since I'm confident on steep trails while on less steep situations I tend to have some kind of under-steering sensation.
Any advice, experience, sharing of impression of who switched from 51mm offset to 42-44mm could help, I'm just an amateur, but still want to improve my Slash.

For going from yari to lyric ultimate you only need to install the charger 2.1 damper cartridge.


Sure I know, but in the end I managed to sell the YARI for a very good price and bought a 2021 Lyrik Ultimate for less than the price of a "Charger 2.1 upgrade". I'm waiting the shipping, I'm eager to test it!

Quick update, the 2021 Lyrik Ultimate on my Slash 2019 is simply a game changer. It feels better even going uphill! I have improved the times a lot on my usual routes and the fork is much less tiring. Thanks for the tips.
Next upgrade...shock!

Lyrik Ultimate C3 2021

Posted: Nov 2, 2022 at 1:50 Quote

I am loving this upgrade. It's pricey but absolutely worth it for your Trek Slash, more so if you have high engagement hubs.

Btw, I am using the 9 degree elastomer and I'm on Hope hubs.

Posted: Nov 28, 2022 at 2:28 Quote
hello everybody...I'm digging a lot on Internet & forums, also wrote to Trek site, but without answer...
I'm looking for a compatility table for frame-shock on 2017-2020 Slash aluminum frame.
I have a M-17.5 and I would like a more sensitive shock absorber. The standard one travels rather "high" and remains active (with 30% Sag), but often hops on the bumpy, ending up making me lose a little grip.
I'm thinking about "air" since it's maybe simpler to configure/test without dealing with coils, but I'm just asking, which 230x57.5mm would fit without touching the frame ?

Randomly I'm looking for compatibility with size M alu frame 2017-2020:

- RS super deluxe ultimate RC2
- RS super deluxe ultimate RC2T
- RS super deluxe ultimate coil (newer and old version)
- RS Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3 thrushaft (i.e. ammo from a trek rail)
- FOX X2 2021
- DVO TOPAZ T3AIR
- DVO Jade X

Any help is welcome!

Posted: Nov 28, 2022 at 10:14 Quote
X2 works fine in 230/60mm

Posted: Nov 28, 2022 at 21:20 Quote
Bogob80 wrote:
hello everybody...I'm digging a lot on Internet & forums, also wrote to Trek site, but without answer...
I'm looking for a compatility table for frame-shock on 2017-2020 Slash aluminum frame.
I have a M-17.5 and I would like a more sensitive shock absorber. The standard one travels rather "high" and remains active (with 30% Sag), but often hops on the bumpy, ending up making me lose a little grip.
I'm thinking about "air" since it's maybe simpler to configure/test without dealing with coils, but I'm just asking, which 230x57.5mm would fit without touching the frame ?

Randomly I'm looking for compatibility with size M alu frame 2017-2020:

- RS super deluxe ultimate RC2
- RS super deluxe ultimate RC2T
- RS super deluxe ultimate coil (newer and old version)
- RS Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3 thrushaft (i.e. ammo from a trek rail)
- FOX X2 2021
- DVO TOPAZ T3AIR
- DVO Jade X

Any help is welcome!

Do not get the X2.

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 5:08 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
Bogob80 wrote:
hello everybody...I'm digging a lot on Internet & forums, also wrote to Trek site, but without answer...
I'm looking for a compatility table for frame-shock on 2017-2020 Slash aluminum frame.
I have a M-17.5 and I would like a more sensitive shock absorber. The standard one travels rather "high" and remains active (with 30% Sag), but often hops on the bumpy, ending up making me lose a little grip.
I'm thinking about "air" since it's maybe simpler to configure/test without dealing with coils, but I'm just asking, which 230x57.5mm would fit without touching the frame ?

Randomly I'm looking for compatibility with size M alu frame 2017-2020:

- RS super deluxe ultimate RC2
- RS super deluxe ultimate RC2T
- RS super deluxe ultimate coil (newer and old version)
- RS Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3 thrushaft (i.e. ammo from a trek rail)
- FOX X2 2021
- DVO TOPAZ T3AIR
- DVO Jade X

Any help is welcome!

Do not get the X2.

Bad experience about? I was thinking about the 2021 version, with firmer block and revised hidraulic....any help and share of experience could be helpful

Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
Bogob80 wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
Bogob80 wrote:
hello everybody...I'm digging a lot on Internet & forums, also wrote to Trek site, but without answer...
I'm looking for a compatility table for frame-shock on 2017-2020 Slash aluminum frame.
I have a M-17.5 and I would like a more sensitive shock absorber. The standard one travels rather "high" and remains active (with 30% Sag), but often hops on the bumpy, ending up making me lose a little grip.
I'm thinking about "air" since it's maybe simpler to configure/test without dealing with coils, but I'm just asking, which 230x57.5mm would fit without touching the frame ?

Randomly I'm looking for compatibility with size M alu frame 2017-2020:

- RS super deluxe ultimate RC2
- RS super deluxe ultimate RC2T
- RS super deluxe ultimate coil (newer and old version)
- RS Super Deluxe Ultimate RT3 thrushaft (i.e. ammo from a trek rail)
- FOX X2 2021
- DVO TOPAZ T3AIR
- DVO Jade X

Any help is welcome!

Do not get the X2.

Bad experience about? I was thinking about the 2021 version, with firmer block and revised hidraulic....any help and share of experience could be helpful
those ones are the ones with damper and seal issues

Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 15:09 Quote
Have anyone tried the 2023 RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T? Would you recomend the linear or the progresive option? HBO or not?
About if it's available or not, from ROCKSHOX:

The Super Deluxe Ultimate with Hydraulic Bottom Out is available aftermarket. The 230x62.5mm configuration is part number 00.4118.358.086 (Rear Shock Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T - (230X62.5) Linear Air, 0 Neg/1 Pos Token, LinearReb/LowComp, Hydraulic Bottom Out, 320lb Threshold, Standard Standard - C1). This is still a new aftermarket shock configuration, so it may take some time to become available in your region. It will be best to continue to check with your local shop or dealer.

See our dealer locator to find a dealer near you:

https://www.sram.com/en/dealer-locator

Alternatively, you can order the non-HBO version (00.4118.358.001- Rear Shock Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T - (230X62.5) Linear Air, 0 Neg/1 Pos Token, LinearReb/LowComp,320lb Threshold, Standard Standard - C1) and then install part number 11.4118.054.625 (REAR SHOCK DAMPER BODY - STANDARD EYELET 62.5MM W/ HYDRAULIC BOTTOM OUT (DAMPER BODY, BUSHING, VALVE CORE, 2.5MM TRAVEL SPACER & CAPS) - SUPER DELUXE C1+ (2023+)), which will add HBO.


Big thanks

If you want to buy the progresive kit you should look for:
The progressive air can for the 230x62.5mm Super Deluxe Ultimate RC2T is part number 11.4118.059.010 (REAR SHOCK AIR CAN ASSEMBLY - PROGRESSIVE 57.5-65MM (DECALS, COUNTERMEASURE, AND SPRING) - SUPER DELUXE THRUSHAFT C1 (2021+)/ SUPER DELUXE C1/DELUXE C1 (2023+)).


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012456
Mobile Version of Website