The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
Posted: Aug 21, 2017 at 19:45 Quote
I heard so many people complain of broken chainstays I was leary of buying a Slash. Mines been used pretty hard so far with no issues. I do wish the downtube was a bit more robust though. Damned if it doesn't dent easier than a beer can....

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 6:51 Quote
Does anybody ride 2.5 DHF front and rear on a slash ? or does it just accepts 2.3?

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 7:34 Quote
Paradis6 wrote:
mollow wrote:
Foxy87 wrote:
It is now the second time that my chainstay broke on my Trek Slash 9.8 2015!

One of my friend got also the 9.8 and his chainystay also broke already once.

Is this a common issue?? Does any of you guys have the same Problem with their Slash 9.8 2015/2016 ??

Snapped my chainstay and my seatstay on my 9.8 2016

I really love Trek bike. I was looking for a Slash until I read a hundred stories about this issue. Just sold my 2013 Remedy 8 after 3 years. Each year I make road trips of more than a month and 15 000 km with my 2 bikes, only for mountain biking (Quebec to Whistler, Moab, California, Alaska etc), and dont want to have a broken frame or any issues with my bikes during the trip.... All these chainstay+warranty issues with Trek made me buy something else.

Sadly, I can compare my Trek to my old 2012 Subaru Impreza...
Really pleasant to drive, very capable, but a real garbage, with repeated engine problems and a denied warrenty each f*cking time for silly reasons Madder Cool

Just get the 9.9 mate! It's the alu chainstays that are weak

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 10:39 Quote
drpepperrider2 wrote:
Does anybody ride 2.5 DHF front and rear on a slash ? or does it just accepts 2.3?
Also, does anybody knows how to switch from the High setup to the Low setup? does it require an extra hardware ? im not sure i understand it fully. sorry for all the stupid questions. I appreciate your answers tho Smile

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 11:14 Quote
All you need is an allen key... Unscrew the flip chip, flip it, retighten it. Do that on both sides and you're good to go

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 16:02 Quote
So I'm sure I'm going get a bunch of folks fired up but I gotta ask.. Has anyone tried 26+ (Dhf 26x2.eight) on their 27.5 slash? I live on Maui and our soil is like clay, so when it's wet it's grease on grease. I'm looking for some more traction. But I can't swing a new 5k bike (27.5+) nor am I sold on the big wheels for what I ride. I'm looking at a 27.5 slash frame to try 26+ instead as that would suit my riding style anyway, my racing days are over, I just want to rail some turns and throw some whips. Problem is that it's on the mainland, none are around here for me to measure. Need seat stay and chain stay widths. (2015 slash eight) Thanks for the help in advance.

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 16:27 Quote
Slash 27.5 won't clear a 2.8 tire. I there isn't about of clearance with a 2.5 tire

Posted: Aug 22, 2017 at 21:07 Quote
william4269 wrote:
Slash 27.5 won't clear a 2.8 tire. I there isn't about of clearance with a 2.5 tire

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. I was hoping the 26x2.8 might be just "smaller" enough to be lower in the stays where the frame might be wider. From all the pics though the seat stays look pretty square to each other and don't appear to widen out much as they head toward the dropouts. Might do it anyway, I like the numbers on that frame. We'll see.

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 2:56 Quote
Mine , now has race face nylon chester pedals, still looking for a new bar and stem combo
photo

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 17:51 Quote
Anyone ever have a ABP bearing push out of the lower chainstay? My 2016 Slash8 looks like the bearing is pushing out compared to the other side. Gap between the upper and lower chainstay is different side to side as well. I was looking for a groaning noise I get sometimes when braking.

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 4:13 Quote
Are the abp nuts tight? I know the mino chip bolts like to losen off on their own

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 6:37 Quote
dirtrider76 wrote:
Anyone ever have a ABP bearing push out of the lower chainstay? My 2016 Slash8 looks like the bearing is pushing out compared to the other side. Gap between the upper and lower chainstay is different side to side as well. I was looking for a groaning noise I get sometimes when braking.
Check torque on abp and bearing life, also is the rear rotor inline with pad or the caliper bolts loose?

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 18:46 Quote
Nut was tight and bearing is fine. Brakes were dragging, I was actually messing with this when I noticed it. I've had to keep adjusting the brakes lately due to rubbing and noise. I tore it apart last night and the bearing was not seated all the way. Pressed it in and reassembled and it was fine riding today. The bearing was so far out the upper and lower chainstays were rubbing on each other. Going to talk to my LBS see if they had any issues with this. I'm not really sure what would cause it to push out, it went back in nice and snug and no signs of damage around it.

I actually locktight and zip tie my mino chips. I zip tie loops right through the bolt perfectly.

Posted: Aug 29, 2017 at 2:53 Quote
dirtrider76 wrote:
Nut was tight and bearing is fine. Brakes were dragging, I was actually messing with this when I noticed it. I've had to keep adjusting the brakes lately due to rubbing and noise. I tore it apart last night and the bearing was not seated all the way. Pressed it in and reassembled and it was fine riding today. The bearing was so far out the upper and lower chainstays were rubbing on each other. Going to talk to my LBS see if they had any issues with this. I'm not really sure what would cause it to push out, it went back in nice and snug and no signs of damage around it.

I actually locktight and zip tie my mino chips. I zip tie loops right through the bolt perfectly.

Never had any issue over 4 years with mino coming loose even though been warned about them.
I find with Trek rear caliper can have a very limited adjustable range.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2017 at 6:09 Quote
Anyone recall how many/if any volume spacers come stock in the monarch on 2016 Slash 8?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012325
Mobile Version of Website