The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 12:32 Quote
Hey All

Looking for some help/ insight on my 2018 Trek Slash 9.8. Over my past few rides, I developed a nasty, annoying squeak coming from the RockShox Deluxe Thru Shaft. I took it into my local shop and they tried to service it but couldn't get the squeak to go away. They are going to send it off to Rockshox to get the problem figured out. Has anyone else had issues with the Thru Shaft??

As a result I'm looking to do an upgrade and was wondering if anyone is running a Coil on the Slash. Was considering getting a Fox DHX2 but have little knowledge about them. Any insight on what people are running and what a good spring option would be for a 195 lbs rider

Thanks All

Mike

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 16:22 Quote
messon wrote:
Hey All

Looking for some help/ insight on my 2018 Trek Slash 9.8. Over my past few rides, I developed a nasty, annoying squeak coming from the RockShox Deluxe Thru Shaft. I took it into my local shop and they tried to service it but couldn't get the squeak to go away. They are going to send it off to Rockshox to get the problem figured out. Has anyone else had issues with the Thru Shaft??

As a result I'm looking to do an upgrade and was wondering if anyone is running a Coil on the Slash. Was considering getting a Fox DHX2 but have little knowledge about them. Any insight on what people are running and what a good spring option would be for a 195 lbs rider

Thanks All

Mike
Yep, I’m running a coil on it and am loving it. I’m 165lbs and have a 500lb spring.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
messon wrote:
Hey All

Thanks All

Mike

I’ve been having a super nasty squeak too but I thought it was coming from one of the pivot points. I haven’t had time to look at it since it’s been in the shop for the past week while Trek warranties the seatpost but I have to tackle that squeak next as soon as I get it back and now I’m wondering if it’s the shock like yours.

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 20:39 Quote
PUSH has an Eleven-Six SS for our bikes now.

messon wrote:
Hey All

Thanks All

Mike

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 20:43 Quote
I've got 46mm of post above the collar on the 170mm Highline in my XL frame.

chrysanthos wrote:
hi all.
does anyone have experience with fitting a >150mm dropper in a 21.5 frame? thinking of a oneup or highline but want to slam it in for clearance purposes

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 23:08 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:

chrysanthos wrote:
hi all.
does anyone have experience with fitting a >150mm dropper in a 21.5 frame? thinking of a oneup or highline but want to slam it in for clearance purposes

Is it as far as it will go due to the kink in the ST, or where you prefer the overall saddle height?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
messon wrote:
Hey All

Thanks All

Mike

Some folks have issues with getting the air shock progressive enough to work well. A coil shock will not make this any better.

Did you/your shop check the frame bearings? My first set lasted only a couple of months before they were rough. Replacing them resolved a bit of noise i was getting. Main (forward) chainstay pivot. Was good for the rest of the season after that.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
messon wrote:
Hey All

Thanks All

Mike

Some folks have issues with getting the air shock progressive enough to work well. A coil shock will not make this any better.

Did you/your shop check the frame bearings? My first set lasted only a couple of months before they were rough. Replacing them resolved a bit of noise i was getting. Main (forward) chainstay pivot. Was good for the rest of the season after that.

The Slash is progressive enough to run a coil. I'm 190 lbs running a 550 lb spring and have yet to bottom it out. The biggest drop I've taken is roughly 5 ft. I run a Cane Creek DB CS.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 9:12 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:
messon wrote:
Hey All

Thanks All

Mike

The Slash is progressive enough to run a coil. I'm 190 lbs running a 550 lb spring and have yet to bottom it out. The biggest drop I've taken is roughly 5 ft. I run a Cane Creek DB CS.
Ill second that, biggest drop I have done is 13ft and I bottomed it out, but I would have bottomed an air shock out to. My regular ride involves 6ft drops and steep rollers and I have no problems with bottoming out.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
StumpyJR wrote:
ZSchnei wrote:
nouseforaname wrote:

Ill second that, biggest drop I have done is 13ft and I bottomed it out, but I would have bottomed an air shock out to. My regular ride involves 6ft drops and steep rollers and I have no problems with bottoming out.
Slash29 linkage rasp is around 27% only a handful of bikes run more like a YT Capra for example

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 21:32 Quote
Bottomed out as requested.
chrysanthos wrote:
sngltrkmnd wrote:

chrysanthos wrote:
hi all.

Is it as far as it will go due to the kink in the ST, or where you prefer the overall saddle height?

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 5:09 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:

messon wrote:
Hey All

Thanks All

Mike

Is there a good option for under $1200? I don't even know a reasonable cost for a rear shock, but >$1k seems excessive for someone who doesn't race.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
sngltrkmnd wrote:

messon wrote:
Hey All

Thanks All

Mike

Is there a good option for under $1200? I don't even know a reasonable cost for a rear shock, but >$1k seems excessive for someone who doesn't race.
A few of us are running cane creek dB coil shocks

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:59 Quote
StumpyJR wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
sngltrkmnd wrote:

im running a fox
new fox on trek with custom bushings

A few of us are running cane creek dB coil shocks

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:
Bottomed out as requested.
chrysanthos wrote:
sngltrkmnd wrote:

Can you post a photo?? Big Grin

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011853
Mobile Version of Website