The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 4:07 Quote
On my end i replaced the stock shock w/o even trying it.

X2 it is from day one. Well see next season if i feel like trying both or just the X2.

The X2 as a huge range of ajustments. Also the quantity of installable volume spacers is huge. I feel like the bottom out control of the stock shock is a let down, especially for big riders.

O+
Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 6:59 Quote
xetal wrote:
On my end i replaced the stock shock w/o even trying it.

X2 it is from day one. Well see next season if i feel like trying both or just the X2.

The X2 as a huge range of ajustments. Also the quantity of installable volume spacers is huge. I feel like the bottom out control of the stock shock is a let down, especially for big riders.

For me, that's been the only weakness of the thrushaft. only fits 2 spacers (comes with them stock) or a slightly-modified gnardog (i was told one would fit but it was too wide so i had to dremmel it down around the edges. not worth the effort). But i've had some hard hits with it and it's been fine. And, for actual enduro racing, it's really good. (even if it's not the best for 8ft drops-to-not-so-steep)

It was looking like people started putting megneg cans on it, which made it really progressive, but then i started seeing that people weren't getting full travel with the megneg. Anyone try this?

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 7:05 Quote
Whats the problem? Using too much travel and nor enough mid stroke support?

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
Hi guys, had my Slash 8 for a couple of months now and it's been bombproof. Going to change the Yari out for a Fox 36 Factory but not sure on going X2 or DHX2 on the rear. What are your experiences with either?

photo

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 8:58 Quote
benleung wrote:
Hi guys, had my Slash 8 for a couple of months now and it's been bombproof. Going to change the Yari out for a Fox 36 Factory but not sure on going X2 or DHX2 on the rear. What are your experiences with either?

photo

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
I vote x2 as well... Being able to control ramp up more effectively is a big plus. I think the slash as a platform (and most treks!) Work better with air shocks as you have to put a stiff enough spring that it somewhat defeats the point of having a coil.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
I vote x2 as well... Being able to control ramp up more effectively is a big plus. I think the slash as a platform (and most treks!) Work better with air shocks as you have to put a stiff enough spring that it somewhat defeats the point of having a coil.

2nd!

I just put a X2 on my Slash 9.8 after getting rid of the Reactiv and also trying the DPX2 all summer. Float X2 has much better traction and bottom out control compared to both. Also, have no issues pedaling up anything compared to the others.

My Float X2 settings.

My weight: 180lbs
Float X2:
PSI - 200
HSR - (11)
LSR - (15)
HSC - (14)
LSC - (15)
Spacers - 2 (stock?)

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 7:26 Quote
J4m3z420 wrote:
j-t-g wrote:

2nd!

I just put a X2 on my Slash 9.8 after getting rid of the Reactiv and also trying the DPX2 all summer. Float X2 has much better traction and bottom out control compared to both. Also, have no issues pedaling up anything compared to the others.

My Float X2 settings.

My weight: 180lbs
Float X2:
PSI - 200
HSR - (11)
LSR - (15)
HSC - (14)
LSC - (15)
Spacers - 2 (stock?)

Thanks guys! Do you know if there's clearance to over-stroke the shock to 65mm? Ill be running a 170mm 36 up front so was thinking of over-stroking the rear to balance it out a bit. Ill be going for the X2 from what you're saying. Many Thanks.

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 7:39 Quote
I haven't heard of anyone long shocking the slash

O+
Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
Lots of people long shock the Slash to a 230x60mm. These shocks are easy to find and result in about 156mm of rear travel with no clearance issues. I'm not sure there would be enough clearance for a 65mm shock. I've been running a 60mm shock for a few months with no issues.

Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
Sorry if this has been done, I searched but couldnt find a solid answer...

Does anyone know the maximum insertion for a dropper post in a 18.5/19.5 frame, i.e from seat clamp to the kink in the seatube.

Was wondering about slamming a 170mm dropper into a 19.5, or how much a 170mm dropper would stick out of a 18.5.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 11:28 Quote
Davido2005 wrote:

Does anyone know the maximum insertion for a dropper post in a 18.5/19.5 frame, i.e from seat clamp to the kink in the seatube.

Was wondering about slamming a 170mm dropper into a 19.5, or how much a 170mm dropper would stick out of a 18.5.

Thanks!

On my 19.5" Large frame i measure 9.5" inch of clearence inside the frame from the shock pivio bolt to the top of the seat tube.

So i doubt you can slam a 170mm in there. It will stick out a bit.

Vince

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
Davido2005 wrote:

Thanks!

The only post I know of that can be slammed in a 19.5 carbon frame is the OneUp 150mm, and if it was any longer, it wouldn't be able to. So if you're going 170, definitely go OneUp as it is the shortest insertion depth on the market. I doubt it can be slammed, but it will still probably get you 10mm more insertion depth than the stock bontrager 150mm post

O+
Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 6:13 Quote
I’m struggling to resolve the very different ideas of “first FS bike” and “dream bike”...

As it is your first FS bike, don’t change a thing and don’t worry about what us wankers on the internet think. The bike is great out of the box. Trek is been at this for a long time. Ride the ever living piss out of it and replace things as you need to. Don’t waste money replacing brand new parts.

bfed wrote:
Hey Everyone, I am looking at getting a new slash aluminum 8. I have never owned a full suspension bike or an enduro bike at all. I have only seen the bikes in the shop and ridden them a bit. With this bike, is there any first changes you would recommend to me when I first get it. For example swapping grips, saddle, tires, etc. Thanks and let me know, as I am building this into my dream enduro bike.

Posted: Nov 8, 2019 at 6:30 Quote
sngltrkmnd wrote:
I’m struggling to resolve the very different ideas of “first FS bike” and “dream bike”...

As it is your first FS bike, don’t change a thing and don’t worry about what us wankers on the internet think. The bike is great out of the box. Trek is been at this for a long time. Ride the ever living piss out of it and replace things as you need to. Don’t waste money replacing brand new parts.

bfed wrote:
Hey Everyone, I am looking at getting a new slash aluminum 8. I have never owned a full suspension bike or an enduro bike at all. I have only seen the bikes in the shop and ridden them a bit. With this bike, is there any first changes you would recommend to me when I first get it. For example swapping grips, saddle, tires, etc. Thanks and let me know, as I am building this into my dream enduro bike.

Since it is your first FS Bike just keep it as it is.
If you notice you dont get along with the grips then change em out. If you get sores or tingly from the saddle change it out. As long as the contact points are fine it is an awesome bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013481
Mobile Version of Website