The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
Littan wrote:
Actual weight of the Slash 8 Al Large with pedals?

ThxSmile

31.04 #s without pedals. This is stock off the showroom floor with reflectors, tubes and all. Worthless to post weight with pedals because everyone runs different ones.

Thx for the info

Is this the actual weight of size Large?

On the web 31plage they claim.3 lbs (with tubes) for Medium

Br

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
does weight matter anyway?
The bike is easy to manoeuver as long as you dont sleep, and incredibly stiff where it matters.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 2:27 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
Noypirider wrote:

Oh ok thank you for the reply.

a 150mm one up will slam in a 19.5 frame. I know because I have one.

19.5 is a large frame, not a medium.

I’m on a large carbon, my 150 fox Transfer don’t slam down

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 19:29 Quote
So I have a brand new 29er slash 9.8 XT on the way. Should show up any day now! It comes with rockshox, and I'd really like to go fox factory 36 with a push industry acs coil conversion and a dhx2 in the back. I'd love to turn it into a "super-enduro" so to speak, and was hoping for like 170 up front and 160-165 ish out back.
By my calculations, these are some numbers you can achieve with different stroke lengths:

57.5=150mm (stock)
60=156mm
63=165mm
65=170mm

Is there any reason I shouldn't go for a 63 or 65mm stroke? Keep that 230 eye to eye, and the geometry won't be affected much. A bit lower and slacker due to more sag, The end result will just be a lower bottom bracket on big bottom outs. I'd run it in the high setting, especially with a 170 fork.

Has anyone run some of the bigger numbers? Any issues with clearance? Maybe if a coil doesn't fit, would an air shock fit better?

Much appreciated,
Liam

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
The concerns would be that you might have tire and saddle contact if you increase the rear wheel travel by a bunch, or possibly contact in the linkage somewhere (but I doubt that second part). The solution to the first would be to run your saddle higher, if it even occurs at the stroke you select.

The other concern is that you'll be outside the leverage curve that Trek intended. Your mileage may vary. You might love it, you might not.

I don't anticipate any clearance issues as there's plenty of room to run both a DHX2 and an X2. The e2e doesn't change.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 19:48 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
The concerns would be that you might have tire and saddle contact if you increase the rear wheel travel by a bunch, or possibly contact in the linkage somewhere (but I doubt that second part). The solution to the first would be to run your saddle higher, if it even occurs at the stroke you select.

The other concern is that you'll be outside the leverage curve that Trek intended. Your mileage may vary. You might love it, you might not.

I don't anticipate any clearance issues as there's plenty of room to run both a DHX2 and an X2. The e2e doesn't change.
As soon as it gets in I'll have to check how much clearance there is. I'll end up with probably a 200mm pnw dropper in the near future, so tire clearance may be an issue. Thanks for your input!

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
Longer fork will make seat angle awkward if your a climber/racer

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
enduroFactory wrote:
iliveonnitro wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

a 150mm one up will slam in a 19.5 frame. I know because I have one.

19.5 is a large frame, not a medium.

I’m on a large carbon, my 150 fox Transfer don’t slam down

Update on the oneup V2: The actuator gets sticky, but it's easy to remove and a dab of fork oil will probably take care of it. However, if you get one now, they are all shipping with the V2.1 actuator. THIS EFFECTS INSERTION DEPTH. The V2.1 actuator cost me close to 10mm of insertion depth! I almost put the old one back on after I figured out why it was sticking!

Fortunately it's still right at the height where it's fine for me without spacers so I'm still getting the full 150mm travel, but in a 19.5 Carbon frame, you CANNOT SLAM the 150 if it has the V2.1 actuator on it.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 17:52 Quote
I own a large 2019 slash 8 alu. I can slam a 150mm oneup v2 with 2.1 actuator no problem.

I know the aluminum version has a deg steeper seat tube. Wonder if it makes a difference.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
xetal wrote:
I own a large 2019 slash 8 alu. I can slam a 150mm oneup v2 with 2.1 actuator no problem.

I know the aluminum version has a deg steeper seat tube. Wonder if it makes a difference.

The 8 is definitely designed to fit a longer travel post.

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 1:02 Quote
Anybody know what the Stock Bontrager Line 30 Comp Wheels weigh that come with the 2020 Slash 8?
Thinking of changing out the wheelset for something lighter

Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 1:39 Quote
El-Mustachio wrote:
Anybody know what the Stock Bontrager Line 30 Comp Wheels weigh that come with the 2020 Slash 8?
Thinking of changing out the wheelset for something lighter

co-sign. Need something lighter and stiffer (DT Swiss EX511), still debating on whether to keep current rims.
I ll keep the hubs, did the rapid driver upgrade on the rear, they work just fine.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 6:00 Quote
xetal wrote:

The seat tube on the aluminum slash 8 does have a steeper angle and it looks more like the seat tube on a remedy. My buddy has a 19.5 carbon remedy and he can slam the one up 150 with the v 2.1 actuator. If The actuator was threaded slightly differently where it was at the right angle you might be able to get close to slamming it, But I wouldn't count on that.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
[Quote="chrysanthos"]
El-Mustachio wrote:

About 2100g, most of which is in the hubs, as the Line Elites use the same rim and are 1800g, and that makes the Line Carbon wheels that they're speccing on their higher end slashes right around 1900g which is kind of bullshit.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2019 at 13:44 Quote
[Quote="nouseforaname"]
chrysanthos wrote:
El-Mustachio wrote:

About 2100g, most of which is in the hubs, as the Line Elites use the same rim and are 1800g, and that makes the Line Carbon wheels that they're speccing on their higher end slashes right around 1900g which is kind of bullshit.

I'm really not convinced its the hubs. I just laced up the stock rear Comp hub to a EX511 29 rim with DT Swiss Competition Spokes, Squorx Nipples, PHR washers. The full wheel is now 1048g, down from 1088 with the stock rim and spokes. The EX511 rim is not light, it is about 70g more than the stock Comp rim. The stock hub only weighs 288g with the free hub. The stock hubs are very competitive in weight from what I've been able to find. I think much of the weight is in the spokes. The Line Elite wheels use strait pull spokes. Plus the stock Comp hubs have great engagement when adding to paws to make 108 POE.

For reference;

Hope Pro 4 311g
Shimano XT 308g
DT Swiss 350 282g
I9 Hydra 304g

And the stock hub has more POE than many of those. I see no reason not to use the stock hub when building up a new wheel.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010959
Mobile Version of Website