The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
The 100% Trek Slash forum: Posts, Comments, Questions and More.
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 7:14 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
arweatherby wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

When my bike was brand new, I was riding around the shop and had the knocking. Oil was leaking from the thrushaft, meaning the seal issue was a problem on it. Check for oil dripping out of the thrushaft. If it is, you need to send it back for warranty. I got a replacement and it has had no issues whatsoever with more than a year of riding on it

I would say that is going on as well, quite a bit of shine from oil on the frame under the thru shaft. thanks for the advice.

Yup. It's just an issue from assembly. A shock either has it or it doesn't. A seal gets flipped and that's it. Get it warrantied and you'll know immediately if it's correct or not. And if it is OK, it seems to be a completely reliable shock at that point. Megneg recommended but its a pain to get the thing apart. Need a cone wrench and a vice and probably another set of hands to get the bottom off.

I've been seriously considering grabbing the Megneg as the review are good. I'm just waiting on a ticket# for my warranty claim and will be sending it back. Thanks again for taking the time and for the advice.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 6:55 Quote
arweatherby wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
arweatherby wrote:

I would say that is going on as well, quite a bit of shine from oil on the frame under the thru shaft. thanks for the advice.

Yup. It's just an issue from assembly. A shock either has it or it doesn't. A seal gets flipped and that's it. Get it warrantied and you'll know immediately if it's correct or not. And if it is OK, it seems to be a completely reliable shock at that point. Megneg recommended but its a pain to get the thing apart. Need a cone wrench and a vice and probably another set of hands to get the bottom off.

I've been seriously considering grabbing the Megneg as the review are good. I'm just waiting on a ticket# for my warranty claim and will be sending it back. Thanks again for taking the time and for the advice.

It's totally worth it IMO. Just go straight for the 2 bands, no tokens setup to start. I run 260 psi and weight about 181 nekked

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 5:28 Quote
ive snapped the lower chainstay pivot bolt (dont really know its actual name) does anyone know what it is called or any where abouts to find one many thanks

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
Motormouth1302 wrote:
ive snapped the lower chainstay pivot bolt (dont really know its actual name) does anyone know what it is called or any where abouts to find one many thanks
Trek dealer

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
Motormouth1302 wrote:

Dealer broke mine trying to get it out and grease it.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:17 Quote
Motormouth1302 wrote:

Here is a main pivot kit for slash and remedy.

Trek number 599909

There is a main pivot bolt is what you need

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 18:56 Quote
Hi all
I just got a slash9.8 xt 2020. My first time with carbon rims and bar. I can’t say I’m liking it. Finding the bike bucking me around and making trails more challenging. My first thought is to try an alloy bar. Anyone know if I can just change the bar or is there something Extra needed for the whole know block system

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 20:00 Quote
iwantanewbicycle wrote:
Hi all
I just got a slash9.8 xt 2020. My first time with carbon rims and bar. I can’t say I’m liking it. Finding the bike bucking me around and making trails more challenging. My first thought is to try an alloy bar. Anyone know if I can just change the bar or is there something Extra needed for the whole know block system
I dont think you have suspension/rebound set up right. Carbon wheels are stiffer but do not "buck"

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 23:33 Quote
iwantanewbicycle wrote:
Hi all

had the same feeling on my 9.9 remedy last season. with carbon wheels and next R bar it was to stiff, with alloy wheels it was ok. i liked it a lot after changing the bar to the new one up "flex" bar with both wheelsets...

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
iwantanewbicycle wrote:
Hi all

Honestly I don’t see carbon wheels and bar making trails more difficult to ride. I would definitely start with suspension tuning before you buy new parts

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 6:45 Quote
StumpyJR wrote:
iwantanewbicycle wrote:
Hi all
I dont think you have suspension/rebound set up right. Carbon wheels are stiffer but do not "buck"

I found that the trek recommended settings for suspension are not good. I'd play around with pressures and clickers for a while before you start shelling out money on parts. Mine felt harsh at first, but then I got it setup right and it was fine

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
iwantanewbicycle wrote:
Hi all

As you're in Canada like me, send me those bucking carbon wheels and bars; and in exchange I will send you my already broken in and trail smoothing alloy bars and wheels (Bontrager branded so you know they're the best!). I won't even charge you any shipping.

Serious answer - you've got something wrong - tire pressure, fork or shock pressure. Has it been a while since you rode last? A lot of Canada has been under snow. New bike + winter off = everything feels like crap. It's not the wheels. The bars may feel stiffer than what you are used to - it all depends on the bars you had before and how stiff they were. *Some* carbon bars are stiffer than *some* alloy bars.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 8:42 Quote
So possibly a dumb question but will a 2020 Fox DPx2 performance 3 position 210 x 55 rear shock fit a 2016 trek slash? it's only 5m less travel.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
camelkicker wrote:
So possibly a dumb question but will a 2020 Fox DPx2 performance 3 position 210 x 55 rear shock fit a 2016 trek slash? it's only 5m less travel.

It's probably more like 13mm less travel, but it's not fully predictable. 5mm less stroke means less overall travel as a 160mm bike does not use 160mm of shock stroke.

eye to eye it will fit yes, clearance is unknown. Those bikes are weird, alloy and carbon fit different shocks, different sizes seem to have more clearance, etc.

For what it's worth, my 2016 remedy 9.8 29er in 21.5 could not fit a DPX2.

Posted: Apr 11, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
camelkicker wrote:

It's probably more like 13mm less travel, but it's not fully predictable. 5mm less stroke means less overall travel as a 160mm bike does not use 160mm of shock stroke.

eye to eye it will fit yes, clearance is unknown. Those bikes are weird, alloy and carbon fit different shocks, different sizes seem to have more clearance, etc.

Good to know I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I am having a terrible time tracking down a rear shock for my slash.
For what it's worth, my 2016 remedy 9.8 29er in 21.5 could not fit a DPX2.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006521
Mobile Version of Website