Warden, Rune, or Nomad?

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 14:14 Quote
Looking to get my second bike after riding a Spec Enduro Comp for a few years. I live near Park City, UT and most of my riding takes place in northern Utah with a few annual trips to Moab and hopefully a trip to Durango, Bend and Nelson BC next year.

I fall into that 'aggressive trailrider' category with a lot of emphasis on going down and having fun playing around with a big grin. But I also climb a lot. 2-3,000' or for a normal PC climb, but I also do bigger loops on occasion with 20+ miles and 4,500'+ vert.

6'2, 200lbs. I loves the Enduro coming down(besides the '13 suspension) but would like something a little better on the climbs. But Id rather not sacrifice downhill ability. Budget is ~$6500. I can get a deal on a Nomad at Competitive Cyclist, and that's what I'm leaning towards. But the Warden and Rune seem to be so well received that I can't ignore them. I'd like some input and opinions on everything, and any comparison between my current Aluminum Enduro and one of these 3 options would be great.

Thanks in advance

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 3:54 Quote
Clamber wrote:
Looking to get my second bike after riding a Spec Enduro Comp for a few years. I live near Park City, UT and most of my riding takes place in northern Utah with a few annual trips to Moab and hopefully a trip to Durango, Bend and Nelson BC next year.

I fall into that 'aggressive trailrider' category with a lot of emphasis on going down and having fun playing around with a big grin. But I also climb a lot. 2-3,000' or for a normal PC climb, but I also do bigger loops on occasion with 20+ miles and 4,500'+ vert.

6'2, 200lbs. I loves the Enduro coming down(besides the '13 suspension) but would like something a little better on the climbs. But Id rather not sacrifice downhill ability. Budget is ~$6500. I can get a deal on a Nomad at Competitive Cyclist, and that's what I'm leaning towards. But the Warden and Rune seem to be so well received that I can't ignore them. I'd like some input and opinions on everything, and any comparison between my current Aluminum Enduro and one of these 3 options would be great.

Thanks in advance

Order a Transition Patrol, otherwise the Nomad, followed by the Rune.

To expand on this:

I'm on full spec SC Nomad C, and it climbs ok, destroys everything in its path and is awesome on all levels. But my bike is a 2013 26" bike designed to be a general trail destroyer. You are probably looking at the 2014 enduro race bike. It will still destroy everything in it's path, but it is definitely not a fun bike. The Patrol will climb better than your Enduro, but will be a lot more fun going down . The Rune is a beast....if you spend a lot of time in Bikeparks, this is the bike for you!

Go demo all of them before you make any decisions.

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 16:05 Quote
Rvdm555 wrote:
Clamber wrote:

Thanks in advance

To expand on this:

I'm on full spec SC Nomad C, and it climbs ok, destroys everything in its path and is awesome on all levels. But my bike is a 2013 26" bike designed to be a general trail destroyer. You are probably looking at the 2014 enduro race bike. It will still destroy everything in it's path, but it is definitely not a fun bike. The Patrol will climb better than your Enduro, but will be a lot more fun going down . The Rune is a beast....if you spend a lot of time in Bikeparks, this is the bike for you!

Sound advice right here Salute

Posted: Nov 16, 2014 at 0:39 Quote
I'm in a similar situation. I'm about to sell my Niner RIP9 and Kona Entourage to get a bike that's somewhere in the middle. I'm spending too much time and money keeping my RIP9 running because i'm thrashing it, and i don't ride my Entourage enough cause it's really only good for shuttles. I've got a vivid air and duroluxes on the entourage that I may even keep to put on the new bike for shuttling weekends.

I'm leaning towards the Rune, because I can find one down here, anything else i should be looking at?

Posted: Nov 16, 2014 at 13:04 Quote
the new nomad is sick it climbs really well and destroys going downhill!

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 at 7:44 Quote
Rvdm555 wrote:
Clamber wrote:

Thanks in advance

To expand on this:

I've been looking at the Patrols and I'm really interested. I think I know roughly what you mean, but could you expand of what would make the Transition more of a fun bike?

The Patrol 1 build that Transition does seems like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Good weight too for me, I don't even have to worry about the dilemma of waiting for a carbon version.

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 at 20:25 Quote
Clamber wrote:
Rvdm555 wrote:
Clamber wrote:

Thanks in advance

To expand on this:

I've been looking at the Patrols and I'm really interested. I think I know roughly what you mean, but could you expand of what would make the Transition more of a fun bike?

The Patrol 1 build that Transition does seems like it's exactly what I'm looking for. Good weight too for me, I don't even have to worry about the dilemma of waiting for a carbon version.

I'm not RVD but I think what he means is:

The transition patrol was developed with pure fun in mind, Transition does not have much of a focus on enduro as SC does. This meant they built a bike that likes to pop off lips and feel playful whilst going down the trail.

When SC made the Nomad they focused on making a bike built for pure speed because they are pretty well invested in enduro and racing in general (the opposite of Transition). This intention would lead to a less playful feel on the trail because it is going for pure speed.

Of course this is all in theory and you should test the 2 bikes if you can.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 8:50 Quote
NovemberBravo wrote:
Clamber wrote:
Rvdm555 wrote:

To expand on this:

I'm not RVD but I think what he means is:

The transition patrol was developed with pure fun in mind, Transition does not have much of a focus on enduro as SC does. This meant they built a bike that likes to pop off lips and feel playful whilst going down the trail.

When SC made the Nomad they focused on making a bike built for pure speed because they are pretty well invested in enduro and racing in general (the opposite of Transition). This intention would lead to a less playful feel on the trail because it is going for pure speed.

Of course this is all in theory and you should test the 2 bikes if you can.

Thanks NovemberBravo! You basically took the words out of my mouth.

Agree 100%. Smile

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 10:06 Quote
I want to be able to climb a lot but with the emphasis not on how quickly it can climb, but instead on being able to have as much fun as possible coming down, whether it be fast flowy single track, techy descents or jumps. The Patrol's geometry lends it to being a fun, poppy bike that can still handle pretty much anything, up or down?

I know their old Coverts got a bad wrap for being really bobby and inefficient under pedaling. Had the new suspension design for the Patrol changed this?

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 1:39 Quote
Clamber wrote:
I want to be able to climb a lot but with the emphasis not on how quickly it can climb, but instead on being able to have as much fun as possible coming down, whether it be fast flowy single track, techy descents or jumps. The Patrol's geometry lends it to being a fun, poppy bike that can still handle pretty much anything, up or down?

I know their old Coverts got a bad wrap for being really bobby and inefficient under pedaling. Had the new suspension design for the Patrol changed this?

Email Transition, and go read the various "first ride impressions" after Interbike & Outerbike. Google...Smile

The guys at Transition are very good at replying to " new buyer" queries.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 12:17 Quote
How well do you think a Lapierre Spicy would measure against the aforementioned bikes? I can only find a Rune in medium, and i really need a large (i'm 6'3.5). It's got 160mm pikes, rockshox rt3 plus on the back. Would it handle as much punishment as my entourage with a vivid air and 180mm duroluxes?

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 16:17 Quote
Rvdm555 wrote:
Clamber wrote:

Thanks in advance

To expand on this:

As the owner of a new nomad I disagree. That said my bias is strongly towards DH, as I pedal up to go down, and not really for the challenge of climbs etc... Regardless I believe its a more forgiving bike, but does not lack any pop with your suspension set up correctly. The only scenario where its more forward riding bias is a drawback(as far as where you ride on it for a relatively in between the wheels position) is when you have to have super slow speed awkward moves. I love mine and its a blast if you love to charge everywhere, just begs to stomp at everything. If you're used to more 'trail' oriented situations and bikes it may feel sluggish under ~10km/h, and it very well may be overkill depending on your preferences and priorities when riding.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 17:34 Quote
Wouldn't a bronson better fit your description? With the front set to 160mm just from reading reviews I think it'd still be more capably going down than the knolly.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 18:08 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
Wouldn't a bronson better fit your description? With the front set to 160mm just from reading reviews I think it'd still be more capably going down than the knolly.
I agree with Friendly, and having ridden one as well as the nomad it is a much more neutral bike, standing on the pedals feels right, opposed to the over the bars style required for the nomad. Ride both before purchase if you can

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 at 19:43 Quote
Having spent the last 7 months riding the knolly and have spent time (4-5 hours max) on the rune and the nomad, I would strongly recommend the warden. I have used it a lot in the bike park and ridden pretty much everything the shore has to offer and have never once felt it lacking. I am mainly a DH based rider having raced the last 10 years and spent about 40 days in the bike park this year. The suspension action is fantastic on the knolly and the geometry works very well for the type of bike it is. Even though its not as super slack as the nomad etc it still drags you into things where you out of the bottom laughing at how you survived. Maintenance wise I have had to do very little to it which is a godsend and there are a few less bearings in it than the Santa cruz. Mine is also built up to 28lbs with pedals which means it isnt a beast to pedal uphill. Whatever bike you end up with you are going to get a good bike, If you have any questions just send me a PM

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013164
Mobile Version of Website