How do I set in the bead on my tire?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
How do I set in the bead on my tire?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 10, 2014 at 19:28 Quote
I'm sort of a newbie to replacing innertubes. I got a flat tire from a thorn and replaced the innertube. I put the tire back on and it looked all wobbly when I rolled it. Any suggestions to set in the bead properly? Thanks!

Posted: Nov 11, 2014 at 7:18 Quote
homer123 wrote:
I'm sort of a newbie to replacing innertubes. I got a flat tire from a thorn and replaced the innertube. I put the tire back on and it looked all wobbly when I rolled it. Any suggestions to set in the bead properly? Thanks!
Wipe some dish soap on the bead of the tire. Will pop right into place.

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 22:08 Quote
Same problem here, i've already tried the soap but still cant get a perfect circle, my tire is new and is a bontrager any suggestion?

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 22:28 Quote
Clean bead soapy water and pressa

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2014 at 23:34 Quote
alanthepwner wrote:
Same problem here, i've already tried the soap but still cant get a perfect circle, my tire is new and is a bontrager any suggestion?

Pump it right up to the max pressure, if you're feeling good maybe 10% more.

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 1:05 Quote
alanthepwner wrote:
If you're still having problems seating the bead of a stubborn tire even using soap and slightly over pressuring it, you could try to work it into place using just enough pressure to maintain the shape of an inflated tire. Meaning, when the tire is pumped up enough to look round sitting there, find any flat spots and try to push the tire out to seat. You may have to really give it the buisness to work it into place. Then when you have it seated fill it to desired pressure. I've never had a decent tire not pop into place when using some soap or soapy water. Not to say it could never happen.
I'm wondering if maybe the expectation of a truly round tire vs. the reality don't match. You'll never get a tire as round and true as a properly trued wheel. There will be variances in a seated tire that you may not be able to get rid of. It's a rubber tire, not a precision component. I have a Hans Dampf that has a slight left/right wobble in the centre cast line in one place. Doesn't affect the tire at all, just doesn't look 100% right when the wheel is spinning. It's not defective, just not completely true, but is properly seated. If this isn't the case and you have a really stubborn tire, plug away at it. Eventually you'll win. Hope this helps a little. Cheers!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.038006
Mobile Version of Website