AM or DH - If you were to buy a 2015 bike would you go?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
AM or DH - If you were to buy a 2015 bike would you go?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 20, 2014 at 5:42 Quote
So want to throw a question out there!

If you were to buy a 2015 bike would you go AM or DH?

I'm struggling to see any advantage of full DH with the advancement of AM bikes running 160mm - 180mm and AM geometry of 65 deg head angles and way lighter bikes.

My thinking is what is the % of rides that you defo need a full DH. I tested a Specialized Enduro Elite 650b the other week and did the Monkey at Cannock Chase and we took the black route and had no issues what so ever. I did get FULL travel both F & B but that's what I think you should be doing. Why have 200mm if you actually only use 180/160mm 90% of the time.

Also doesn't is come down to rider skill to be able to take on a track eg Aaron Gwin winning at Sea Otter on a Enduro 29er - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Aaron-Gwin-and-Jill-Kintner-Win-Downhill-Race-Sea-Otter-2013.html

And let's not forget that it's all about having fun and enjoying the ride Big Grin

Posted: Nov 26, 2014 at 13:39 Quote
Theres not really that much of a debate to have here, the question simply comes down to what kind of trails are you going to ride the most? Buy a bike that suites it.

if you want to ride DH do it on a DH bike, if you want to ride trails get a trail bike...
But i wouldnt go out and buy an AM/Enduro bike to ride predominantly DH tracks if thats what you are getting at.

Personally i have a DH bike for DH riding, and a Trail bike for all other riding.
Probably use the DH bike more, just cause its more fun, even if its not most efficient all the time, but i wouldnt want one allround bike to replace both of those.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 8:15 Quote
Aye got to say that I have gone down the route of a dh and a trail bike. The money mainly goes into the dh. My trail bike is something I am upgrading slowly but surely but it's really for those days the dh bike would be overkill.
as I prefer dh - I got a dh bike. I guess it depends on the trails you ride.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 8:21 Quote
I'd love to really nail some of the local DH trails on a full DH rig, but sadly my balls are the limiting factor over the bike, and given how capable modern bikes are, I think it'll be a while until I'm looking at a DH rig, so for me, trail bike it is!

Posted: Dec 8, 2014 at 2:10 Quote
I live in London and I wish I had some trails bigger than my balls ):

Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 9:36 Quote
OfficerFriendly wrote:
I live in London and I wish I had some trails bigger than my balls ):
Aston Hill, various DH & freeride spots around Surrey Hills, Rogate, Hindhead.

Okay need transport to get to them, but not too far away.

Anyway, in my case balls definitely not big enough, so AM bike it is. Mostly riding Surrey Hills, and trips to Wales, Alps, and the odd bit of (in my case gentle) DH like the above places, Cwmcarn, FoD, Stiniog, etc.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.011740
Mobile Version of Website