Stephen Murray accident

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Stephen Murray accident
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 15:04 Quote
so he either rides a bike made of paper or a bike that doesn't move...

im pretty sure its basicly just an exercise bike...

edit- i was writing this when he said that

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 15:05 Quote
fitlife wrote:
yah like an excersise bike

He can't move his legs. Last I heard he has little movement in his fingers/hands, and no movement in his arms either.

So I doubt he can ride any type of exercise bike, and I doubt he is worried about riding a bike at the moment.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
when did you last hear this... beacause im damn sure i heard that he was riding an excersise bike. and if youve evr seen fitlife in the bonus features a kid got paralyzed and now he can ride his bike up and down the street

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
warrior1 wrote:
fitlife wrote:
yah like an excersise bike

He can't move his legs. Last I heard he has little movement in his fingers/hands, and no movement in his arms either.

So I doubt he can ride any type of exercise bike, and I doubt he is worried about riding a bike at the moment.

it might be like a self driven one like the crank arms move by themselves and his feet strapped in just to get his leg muscules going...

not 100% sure just an idea...

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 15:16 Quote
fitlife wrote:
when did you last hear this... beacause im damn sure i heard that he was riding an excersise bike. and if youve evr seen fitlife in the bonus features a kid got paralyzed and now he can ride his bike up and down the street

Well, I'm not going to argue you.

If you have an article or link to some info saying he can ride an exercise bike, then I'll believe you.

Until then, I'm going to go off of the facts I see in these videos which contain an interview with Stephen, in a wheelchair.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Edit*

Just came across basically all of the updates for Stephen. Last one seems to be 4 days ago, and no sign of him riding a bike.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 15:19 Quote
-Matt- wrote:
stationary-paper and stuff
stationery-stands still (i think)

Other way around, the A is in the word "car" and a car doesnt have to be moving the whole time. My worst fear is neck down paralysis, I could live fine with waist down, but neck down, I don't know what I'd do Cry

Edit: That was some real tough shit to watch, not sure if I still want to try a flip this year...

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 15:27 Quote
dammm thats harsh!!

hopefully not properly paralized and his body is just in a koma/shock mode?

hope gets well soon

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 15:30 Quote
I just watched the tribute to him on youtube.im not a big bmx person, but thats an extremely touching video. so sad how these terrible things happen to people who dont deserve it at all. i really hope he recovers or gets better at all.

Cheers Stephen Murray, get well soon.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
that sucks thats all i could say

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6GSMg5cQFWo

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hFsVExWVb3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6Y-tM-ATw&NR=1

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fLami3rKMSg&feature=related

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 19:51 Quote
Yeah I think he over rotated and pushed his tailbone up into his spine, breaking some vertabrae and what not. That's the video I saw of the crash but then again, may not have been stephen murrey.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 19:54 Quote
Thoes videos are really, really touching. Its really horrible to see, or hear about.

It just goes to show that one second can change your life.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 19:58 Quote
fitlife wrote:
apparently he can ride a stationary bike right now so hopefully he will be back riding in a year or two.

i think i read about that a while ago, pretty sure he had some kind a muscle-stimulizer or something to pedal the bike, to keep his muscles strong or somethin.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 20:09 Quote
Every single person on that interview said it was one of the most hardest thing to deal with and they have seen. i dont even know the guy and i was sitting there watching tho's videos with tears in my eye's, i could never think of putting myself in his perspective. hes just one of those guys who you just knows there strong and can get through something that devastating i give him all the best wishes and hope he recovers!

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 21:48 Quote
Ya, there is NO videos of it unless there is some unknown site or something. I searched for like a hour to show someone and didn't find anything, BUT the family wanted everyone to remove the videos so that is why. And this happened at the Dew Tour right? But it is still sad. Stay Strong Stephen! Also Dans Comp is selling shirts, wristbands and backpacks with all the profits or something going to his fund. And Vans was so nice that they personally gave $10,000 to his fund. And there was a write up with him in this issue or last issue of RideBMX and they say he is getting better, but won't be able to ride for the rest of his life or for a VERY long time. Also his family set up a site where you can donate money to his fund.

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 21:58 Quote
It would sure suck to have that happen, my dad went through the same thing about 10 years ago. He's very lucky though, my dad broke his neck too, unfortunatly like Stephen he can't move anything from the neck down, like anything at all. My dad has a bit of movement in his shoulders and he can move his head and thats it, he can't move his arms/fingers, legs,toes, to get around he has a sip and puff system in his chair. Either way though, he is sure happy he is alive and that he gets to spend time with his kids a such, just like Stephen.

Hopefully one day he will walk again, but the chances look very slim. This is going to sound bad, but it could have ended a lot worse, at least he didn't hit his head and substain brain damage, he could have died. He looks happy and strong for someone who just went through that, he sher looked better than my dad when he was at that stage.

Chom,

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013285
Mobile Version of Website