Vancouver Island - Spring 2015 trip location ideas?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Vancouver Island - Spring 2015 trip location ideas?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 29, 2014 at 21:49 Quote
Hi all

We are planning a trip to the Island in April / May time next year to escape the Calgary Winter and get some riding in! We've heard great reports about the island and are very keen to explore it.

We would likely drive from Calgary then get the ferry over, to somewhere on the island.

Focus on mainly All Mountain riding for the trip, although we both have a DH background and would enjoy odd days shredding. We aren't that fussed about Victoria unless there is good riding, we are happy to head to straight to the wilds of the island.

I'm starting to plan this trip now - any 'must go to' trail locations? cool towns to stop in? other non biking things highly recommended?

So far we've been told about Campbell River and Comox Valley...? Cumberland...? Worth going via the Sunshine Coast and getting a ferry from there?

Any pointers most appreciated!

Cheers
Iain

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2014 at 22:08 Quote
Cumberland, which is about 20ish minutes outside of Comox/Courtenay (no riding there, I live in Comox) has some good AM/XC trails for sure! I ride DH mostly, but have done the odd day of that.

Duncan has good DH riding on Mt.Prevost. Not sure about any XC/AM riding down there, would have to ask the locals.

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2014 at 22:32 Quote
best spots are comox valley and duncan, both with a bit of everything. Sunshine coast is amazing but keep in mind it's two ferries from the island to get to the lower SSC where the awesome riding is which adds up in time and cost if you're doing a short trip.

If you wanted to hit somewhere awesome on the way, ride squamish before heading to the horseshoe bay ferry, or the north shore

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2014 at 22:39 Quote
Forbidden Plateau has some good riding too! Would definitely want to pick up a map, or go with someone that knows the trails there though. Same with Cumberland though.

Posted: Nov 30, 2014 at 13:59 Quote
You have to ride mt.doumont and rollercoaster on benson . Jughead up at hammerfest is probly the most flow/loam trail you can ride out here

Posted: Nov 30, 2014 at 14:01 Quote
Mt.tzouhalem .?? Not sure if I spelt that correct
But it's pretty gnarly

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 10:39 Quote
Tzouhalem isn't that gnarly, good for xc/am riding. So is maple mountain. Prevost not so much, I've done laps on a trail bike there but was sorely missing the big bike haha. Those are the three main spots in Duncan. Victoria has some good riding too and is a cool city if you want to check it out

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 19:47 Quote
Spot on, thanks all. Much appreciated. I'll draft up a route in the next couple of months and let you know. Maybe see you on the trails!

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 10:58 Quote
Getting all of that in one may be a bit difficult. Mt.Washington is the islands mountain for skiing. Comox Valley is closest to it. Comox does have 2? golf courses, very little shopping though haha. I think Comox Valley is around 60,000 people (Comox, Courtenay, and Cumberland). Victoria area is bigger.

Trails are pretty good in Cumberland, which is like 20 minutes from Comox. But they are not very fond of new trails being built. So there's not a lot in the way of good DH, there is pretty good XC/AM riding though, they just tend to be higher up in the mountains. Also have Forbidden Plateau, which has some pretty good riding. A good mix of riding really.

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 15:25 Quote
If skiing is a big priority then comox valley or Cumberland are the top choice. If shopping is then victoria and Nanaimo. I don't golf, there's lots of courses in victoria though. Of course all these places are only a couple hours apart. I grew up in victoria and would bike all year, ski 10-20 days at Mt Washington, Victoria to mt wash is about 3 hours driving. My parents are almost retired and my dad just sails his boat all the time in victoria.

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 18:50 Quote
edwardbear wrote:
thanks folks. planning on a trip down in feb possibly. i've ridden in cumberland, campbell river and forbidden plateau. rode nanaimo like twenty years ago. i really liked the trails and can certainly recomend them to original post . being able to ride all year sounds great, but after twenty some years in the cariboo i am not sure about the rain factor. i hear good things about riding in cowichan valley too. i am moving ,so its a big commitment and i only want to do it once. what is the riding community like? welcoming? cliquey? i realize that in moving to civilization that i will need to conform, and join a group/club and follow rules regarding my trail fetish. skiing is a great way to enjoy the winter, but it isn't so much a priority and i think the heavy snow( compared to minus 10-30 pow here) might point me toward kayaking, scuba, or hey 'year round riding!!' any input is appreciated, and worthy of a beer when i become your neighbour.

I just moved to the island and it was the best thing I've done yet. Making new friends and always exploring new trails. Island is where it's at. And some of the best brew comes off this rock.

Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 21:46 Quote
edwardbear wrote:
sx ripper...so where did you move to and why did you chose there?. great beer, and new trails await. i live in a great place with great trails, skiing, people and shops that look after builders, but its time for something new in my life. duncan? courtenay/cumberland?quadra?victoria??????
I moved to nanaimo because it's central to everything else on the island . Also lots of new houses being built which is good for my trade.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010492
Mobile Version of Website