Vancouver Island - Spring 2015 trip location ideas?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Vancouver Island - Spring 2015 trip location ideas?
Posted: Jan 17, 2015 at 21:47 Quote
edwardbear wrote:
sx ripper...so where did you move to and why did you chose there?. great beer, and new trails await. i live in a great place with great trails, skiing, people and shops that look after builders, but its time for something new in my life. duncan? courtenay/cumberland?quadra?victoria??????

I see you ride a knolly too... That bike will be perfect for the cowichan valley trails

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 23:58 Quote
cranny wrote:
Hi all

We are planning a trip to the Island in April / May time next year to escape the Calgary Winter and get some riding in! We've heard great reports about the island and are very keen to explore it.

We would likely drive from Calgary then get the ferry over, to somewhere on the island.

Focus on mainly All Mountain riding for the trip, although we both have a DH background and would enjoy odd days shredding. We aren't that fussed about Victoria unless there is good riding, we are happy to head to straight to the wilds of the island.

I'm starting to plan this trip now - any 'must go to' trail locations? cool towns to stop in? other non biking things highly recommended?

So far we've been told about Campbell River and Comox Valley...? Cumberland...? Worth going via the Sunshine Coast and getting a ferry from there?

Any pointers most appreciated!

Cheers
Iain
Take the ferry over to Nanaimo, days and days of riding await in the Nanaimo area alone. Westwood/Benson, Abyss, Ridgerunner and Hammerfest are all trail/am rides. If you want to get some DH in you can hit Doumont and Rollercoaster. Heck! shoot me a message I'll give you a tour!
Cumberland is an absolute must. Campbell river is great if you plan are driving up that far.
For south island, Maple Mountain is also a must-do. Tzouhalem is good, better if you have a local to show you a sweet loop. Central-North island is so jam packed with good riding there really isnt a need to even go to Victoria in my opinion.

As far as non-biking activities surfing in Tofino (if you have the time to make it over there) is a must! Tofino never disappoints! Would also be not a bad time of year for a beginner surfer and the camping/resorts would not yet be in tourist-season pricing. Could even hit some Port Alberni trails on the way over, some good stuff there too!

Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 18:41 Quote
Gold DarrenV!! Thanks for the info mate and everyone else who has contributed. Definitely keen for a riding with some locals, beers by the camp fire on us!

I just put down the deposit for the RV today so this is happening!! Dates might changes slightly but at the moment we are shooting for April 17 - 27.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 30, 2015 at 20:17 Quote
cranny wrote:
Gold DarrenV!! Thanks for the info mate and everyone else who has contributed. Definitely keen for a riding with some locals, beers by the camp fire on us!

I just put down the deposit for the RV today so this is happening!! Dates might changes slightly but at the moment we are shooting for April 17 - 27.

That's the best time of year for riding around here! so sweet, so tacky. You'll be smack in the middle of race season and probably be able to hit a couple of them if you wanted.

Posted: Feb 2, 2015 at 7:30 Quote
A race or two would be a good laugh. Although our winter ski beer bellies will definitely put us at a disadvantage!

Posted: Feb 12, 2015 at 17:36 Quote
For anyone coming to Nanaimo area, if my schedule is open, im happy to join, share some trails, point you in the right direction, whatever. Feel free to drop me a line see if we can make it work!

Posted: Apr 7, 2015 at 21:25 Quote
WE ARE A GO.

I'm picking up the RV this Friday and we will be riding all around the island from April 11th to 18th. Drop me a message if you are up for a ride and campfire beers!!

Exact route to be confirmed in the pub on Friday night.

Most excited for our island adventure!!

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 11, 2015 at 11:20 Quote
Slight thread highjack...

I'm going to be in Campbell River for work this coming week. Going to bring my bike and hope to get in an evening ride or two, looks like Snowden demo forest has some good riding and is right in town? Will be starting at 5:30pm. Was hoping to check out Cumberland but will have to wait for another trip.

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 17:54 Quote
Hey gramboh

Lots of stuff here for you; http://cvmtb.com/

Cumberland is definitely worth the trip - the riding right in the woods in the village is great, the town itself is a great wee spot, and the forbidden plateau is definitely worth the grind. The guys in Dodge City Cycles and Riding Fool hostel will keep you right.

Campbell River the bulk of the riding seems to be at Snowden demo forest. We went for a day. Plenty of cross country riding to be had. Trails are well marked. Pick up a map at the local bike shops - Outdoor Addiction or Swicked. Apparently there is access to Snowden through a network of other access trails but we ended up driving out to Snowden.

One of the locals here can give you more info too...have a great trip!! We are having a great time exploring the island!

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 12:53 Quote
Thanks for all the contributors here, has been a useful thread!

I am going to be on the island for July 22-29, riding everyday, AM stuff ideally.

I had Hornby recommended to me. I don't see it mentioned here... any thoughts?

Definitely will check out Nanaimo and Cumberland.

Posted: Jun 23, 2015 at 13:19 Quote
Hornby was great, definitely worth a trip. Just an overall fun day, getting the ferry across with the bikes etc. Fun network of trails. The provincial camp site on Denman was excellent too.

Here's a link to my photos from our road trip...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101220947633561.1073741843.61008408&type=1&l=ef25580259

One of the Hornby shots...
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11150575_10101220951465881_1448059653380444944_n.jpg?oh=c1c2f8e6f428070053cf9d41abb091c2&oe=56273378

O+
Posted: Jun 23, 2015 at 14:44 Quote
The one tagged Campbell River harbor is Comox harbor just by the way Wink I live there haha

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 13:05 Quote
Haha now fixed Wink the week was a bit of a blur!

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 22:14 Quote
cranny wrote:
Haha now fixed Wink the week was a bit of a blur!

I bet! Looks like you had a great time

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017655
Mobile Version of Website