Drive train modification for 2014 Rocky Mountain Altitude rally edition

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
Drive train modification for 2014 Rocky Mountain Altitude rally edition
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2014 at 17:34 Quote
Hey just wondering if anyone has a recommended / preferred drivetrain upgrade for this bike ?
the 1x10 is not at all user-friendly for steep climbs

Stock CRANKS & CHAINRINGS
RACE FACE TURBINE 170-175MM 34T 1X10SPD

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 11:21 Quote
You could get Race Face rings or basicly any brand will do. Front derailleur and shifter is needed, there should be a place for it. I tried to look for picture above cranks but couldnt find one. X9 is quite good, but if you get a good deal get what you can. Hope this helps!

Posted: Dec 9, 2014 at 11:08 Quote
I put a 30t race face NW up front and a 42t removing the 17t on the cassette. I ride 1500 vertical feet over 3 miles with this setup no problem. No way in hell I was making it up Tahoe rides on the stock drivetrain.

Posted: Dec 9, 2014 at 11:51 Quote
Yeah, a wider range 1x10 setup, or upgrade to 1x11.

Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 11:10 Quote
Same upgrade for me. I tried a 32t but it just wasn't enough - swapped to a 30t a week or so back and it is perfect for me/local terrain.

TahoeOrange wrote:
I put a 30t race face NW up front and a 42t removing the 17t on the cassette. I ride 1500 vertical feet over 3 miles with this setup no problem. No way in hell I was making it up Tahoe rides on the stock drivetrain.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 23:09 Quote
I modified from a 2x10 to the 32 chain ring and a 42. It's awesome. It took my legs a few weeks to gain a little more power but I adapted and it's better then ever. I still have ok speed on the flats and my climbing is doing great. I will consider a 1x11 when I need to replace my cassette but for now, this works very well.

Posted: May 7, 2016 at 10:46 Quote
I'm on a 2015 Thunderbolt, 11-36T cassette and a 30t chain ring.

Perfect for steep climbing, top end is a TOUCH weak, but I don't race, I never have once though "shit this isn't fast enough" so I think it's perfect.

I'm sticking with this until I need to replace parts and will go 1X11 but this is a good set up.

Posted: May 16, 2016 at 19:04 Quote
Jbelot wrote:
I modified from a 2x10 to the 32 chain ring and a 42. It's awesome. It took my legs a few weeks to gain a little more power but I adapted and it's better then ever. I still have ok speed on the flats and my climbing is doing great. I will consider a 1x11 when I need to replace my cassette but for now, this works very well.

I too did this, but with a oneup components 32 oval ring. The oval really does help smooth out your pedal stroke and does seem to make climbing more efficient. My only complaint is that the shifting isn't quite as crisp due to the B screw having to be wound in further to accommodate the expander cog. I will be going 1x11 or 12 or 13? lol who knows? when it comes time to replace. Also the coloured expander cog looks pretty badass

Posted: May 17, 2016 at 10:27 Quote
JCFIV wrote:
Jbelot wrote:

I too did this, but with a oneup components 32 oval ring. The oval really does help smooth out your pedal stroke and does seem to make climbing more efficient. My only complaint is that the shifting isn't quite as crisp due to the B screw having to be wound in further to accommodate the expander cog. I will be going 1x11 or 12 or 13? lol who knows? when it comes time to replace. Also the coloured expander cog looks pretty badass

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 at 21:15 Quote
I just ordered the shimano 1x11, 32 crank and 11-42 cassette. The one up was great to lose the front derailer, I'm looking forward to the upgrade. I'll keep this thread posted but I won't be riding the upgrade until late feb.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008378
Mobile Version of Website