Clipless vs Flat Pedals

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 18:42 Quote
I'm just the opposite, i'm trying flats for the first time in 25 years. I just had a hip replacement so i have to baby it some and won't be able to try for a month or so.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 18:52 Quote
Going from crank bros. mallet to performance forte convert flats. Cant beat 50 buck pedals when you are trying something new.

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 8:46 Quote
timsnutz wrote:
Going from crank bros. mallet to performance forte convert flats. Cant beat 50 buck pedals when you are trying something new.

Get some sticky shoes like 5-10's and you will get a lot more bite into the pedals.

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 15:31 Quote
Those are on the list. Used to race BMX back in the day and always wore Vans. The question is do i get the clipless compatible 5 tens or stick to the flat only ones.

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 15:59 Quote
Ride flats, wear 5-10s, rip it.

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 17:08 Quote
For enduro purposes, pedaling up turning around and hauling down would you still recommend flats? I just got a free pair of Mgnesium DMR vault flats but haven't used them yet because I'm interested in some fun mamba pedals

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 17:13 Quote
UnboundBoarder wrote:
For enduro purposes, pedaling up turning around and hauling down would you still recommend flats? I just got a free pair of Mgnesium DMR vault flats but haven't used them yet because I'm interested in some fun mamba pedals

It depends how much climbing is a priority for you. Also I would prefer flats on a faster tighter smoother track so i could go foot out if need be, clips on rougher straightline tracks so feet dont come off as easily.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 17:52 Quote
Shimano Spd DX platforms with the tension set as low as possible is the best of both worlds. I rode the older metal LX model for the last three years and just put the newer DX model on to save some weight. I have no problem putting a foot down through a corner or stepping off when shit hits the fan and it hasn't slowed my jumping down.

Adam

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 20:35 Quote
lifeofloon wrote:
Shimano Spd DX platforms with the tension set as low as possible is the best of both worlds. I rode the older metal LX model for the last three years and just put the newer DX model on to save some weight. I have no problem putting a foot down through a corner or stepping off when shit hits the fan and it hasn't slowed my jumping down.

Adam

+1. love my dx's.

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 at 13:50 Quote
riish wrote:
lifeofloon wrote:

Adam

+1. love my dx's.

+2. This year I did my first Enduro on flats as I have been using them from day one. I felt like half the time I was concentrating on tryna keep my feet on the pedals. So made the switch to Shimano SPS DX Pedals & A45 shoes. After a few tip over crashes it's been a huge plus over flats. I know longer have to worry about my feet getting blown off the pedals. The climbs are so much more efficient also.

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 at 14:32 Quote
Yeah mates. I my fee constantly fall off and it's brought my ride down I feel. Now I just worry 'oh crap is my foot gonna slip off this little drop' gives me commitment issues

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 at 17:38 Quote
UnboundBoarder wrote:
Yeah mates. I my fee constantly fall off and it's brought my ride down I feel. Now I just worry 'oh crap is my foot gonna slip off this little drop' gives me commitment issues

If you need clips to keep your feet on the pedals on a drop or in the air you should go back to basic's and learn how to do things properly. Things like drop's, jumps, bunny hopping, log overs ect. should not be a issue keeping yourself on the bike.

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 at 21:51 Quote
dirtrider76 wrote:
UnboundBoarder wrote:

If you need clips to keep your feet on the pedals on a drop or in the air you should go back to basic's and learn how to do things properly. Things like drop's, jumps, bunny hopping, log overs ect. should not be a issue keeping yourself on the bike.

ye for sure. it's easy to learn bad habits on clips.

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 at 0:28 Quote
The only reason why I want to get clips is because I feel like clips give you a consistent place on the 'pedal' but then don't clips also feel like you might have a tiny platform pedal underneat your shoe?? I have big feet and that is a concern

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 at 2:42 Quote
Riding a hardtail, I really appreciate the secure connection spd's provide on rough terrain. Didn't ever imagine I'll miss them more on descends than climbs, but I do. Knowing that I just can't dab a foot here and there makes me commit 100% to clearing the obstacle and often I manage to clear things I didn't know I could. Also feel "one" with the bike, like it responds to body movements better. That could be placebo though...

Wipe outs are not a problem, I have them tensioned to the max but they still release when I crash.

I'm fairly competent on flats too as I often switch in order not to get rusty, but overall I prefer clipless.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031425
Mobile Version of Website