Whats with Troy Lee helmets?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Whats with Troy Lee helmets?
O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 7:30 Quote
Are you saying the POC is not better at the job?
POC is top-notch ski-racing armour and helmets, and their bike stuff is also top-notch for cheaper than the TLD

Performance doesnt = money.

And starting this season, new helmet every year.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 7:34 Quote
i dont know if this has been mentioned before but in britain, THE helmets are pretty popular. Look pretty good and feel snug.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 7:38 Quote
nishnash wrote:
and their bike stuff is also top-notch for cheaper than the TLD

not much cheaper on crc,more than the d2's,not much less than a d3 on crc.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 7:43 Quote
marquis wrote:
Keit wrote:
harriieee wrote:
I drop my helmet every so often. f*ck replacing after every one.

how much does a helmet cost; now compare that to the time and money spent on you education be it academic or day to day life.

looking at it that way even a D3 is a small investment almost insignificant

but heck once a vegetable you won't lament poor choices anymore anyway

ps what colour bibs do you want for your dribble

(but harsh but i hope it emphasizes my argument)

agreed but a giro remedy is more than enough.

agree entirely; albeit the giro does not fit me well.

for trails and lesser outings i use a specialized deviant

then i have a 4year old d2 which santa is replacing with an se2 (i must note that the se2 is heavy compared to the other two; but the added protection and the amazing fit will compensate) also i can use it on the dirtbike/cbr

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 9:28 Quote
nishnash wrote:

this seems silly

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 9:29 Quote
Keit wrote:
stryke wrote:
id buy the poc helmet which will last for more then 1 crash! multi impact is ground breaking, flashy graphics is not!

you cannot be this gullible. one hit/bang/drop or 5 years of use and you should replace any lid.

i didnt say its going to last forever, of course you still need to replace lids, but if you crash hard on a d3 and hard on a poc you may be able to run the poc for another season compared to the d3 which will be dead

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
stryke wrote:
Keit wrote:
stryke wrote:
id buy the poc helmet which will last for more then 1 crash! multi impact is ground breaking, flashy graphics is not!

you cannot be this gullible. one hit/bang/drop or 5 years of use and you should replace any lid.

i didnt say its going to last forever, of course you still need to replace lids, but if you crash hard on a d3 and hard on a poc you may be able to run the poc for another season compared to the d3 which will be dead

What do you understand by crashing hard on your'e head?

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 14:44 Quote
stryke wrote:
nishnash wrote:

this seems silly
nah, i have enough small spills.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 14:51 Quote
So the conclusion is that the POC cortex kicks the D3's butt?

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 14:56 Quote
i dont know what happens in their construction / materials, but the d3 looks much safer / bigger than the poc.
i recently bought myself a d2 and i absolutely love it... dont know whats all the hate with tld, ive got nothing against it.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 15:00 Quote
sie7e wrote:
i dont know what happens in their construction / materials, but the d3 looks much safer / bigger than the poc.
i recently bought myself a d2 and i absolutely love it... dont know whats all the hate with tld, ive got nothing against it.

I think it's partly down to the fact TLD are one of the more expensive brands, so naturally there going to come under heavier criticism.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 15:02 Quote
yes, that might be the main reason, some poeple just cant get over their inferiority complexs haha
of all the S/ i've read in this thread there are no reasons for real hate on TLD.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
sie7e wrote:
yes, that might be the main reason, some poeple just cant get over their inferiority complexs haha
of all the S/ i've read in this thread there are no reasons for real hate on TLD.

The D2 had inadequate protection.

Have you ever crashed it?

Didn't think so.

So you have no idea whether it was actually a good product.

Now Troy Lee have acknowledged that their helmet, which was the most expensive on the market, was inadequate. They fix the problem, and bump the price up even higher.

As for your view that TLD helmets 'look' more protective, thanks for your informed opinion.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 15:33 Quote
harriieee wrote:
sie7e wrote:

The D2 had inadequate protection.

Have you ever crashed it?

Didn't think so.

So you have no idea whether it was actually a good product.

Now Troy Lee have acknowledged that their helmet, which was the most expensive on the market, was inadequate. They fix the problem, and bump the price up even higher.

As for your view that TLD helmets 'look' more protective, thanks for your informed opinion.

Bullshit, its called R&D. Just because Ferrari comes out with a new car doesnt mean that last one was shit.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 15:41 Quote
You obviously know your shit.

How adequate was the protection of the D2, especially considering the premium price tag?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010653
Mobile Version of Website