Whats with Troy Lee helmets?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Whats with Troy Lee helmets?
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 12:01 Quote
ok sweet. cheers

i was just having a look at my helmet and say that where its glues to the polystyrene and helmet its detached its self. Would gluing it back together help? or will i just leave it?

Mod Plus
Posted: Sep 27, 2010 at 12:10 Quote
If it has detached itself from the shell I would send it back so TLD can have a look and see what needs to be done (I would assume it needs to be glued in the correct place). That being said, out of the two options you presented I would glue it.

Posted: Sep 30, 2010 at 10:25 Quote
dhc-murphy wrote:
ok sweet. cheers

i was just having a look at my helmet and say that where its glues to the polystyrene and helmet its detached its self. Would gluing it back together help? or will i just leave it?

The same thing happened to my Giro Remedy. While the polystyrene was glued to the shell to begin with, I am hesitant to glue it back myself for fear of the glue breaking down the foam, as many chemicals can. I am not sure what types of glue are safe for polystyrene. That being said, if the helmet is done up properly, there is little to no chance of the shell actually separating from the foam.

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 4:29 Quote
hey guys my folks just got me a medium d3 for my birthday second hand but its a bit small and i cant really take it back. ive heard that you can change the liners in some of the sizes i was wondering if you could put a large liner and cheek pads in a medium shell. would that work? cheers

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 7:47 Quote
stewy34 wrote:
hey guys my folks just got me a medium d3 for my birthday second hand but its a bit small and i cant really take it back. ive heard that you can change the liners in some of the sizes i was wondering if you could put a large liner and cheek pads in a medium shell. would that work? cheers

If you put large liners in a medium shell, that'll make it even smaller, no?

Personally, I would not risk running a poorly fitted helmet (i.e. wrong size), even if it's a D3. Not only that, but I would also never use a second-hand helmet either, but if you know the history of the helmet (if it was your friends and you know what it has been through), then I might make an exception.

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 11:32 Quote
they should be replaced after a hard crash or every 5 years.

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 16:22 Quote
I'm not sure about the Troy Lee helmets, but I know with the Fox helmets you can fine tune the fit by swapping out the cheekpads. The cheek pads get thinner as the size of them goes up.

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 17:36 Quote
smike wrote:
stewy34 wrote:
hey guys my folks just got me a medium d3 for my birthday second hand but its a bit small and i cant really take it back. ive heard that you can change the liners in some of the sizes i was wondering if you could put a large liner and cheek pads in a medium shell. would that work? cheers

If you put large liners in a medium shell, that'll make it even smaller, no?

Personally, I would not risk running a poorly fitted helmet (i.e. wrong size), even if it's a D3. Not only that, but I would also never use a second-hand helmet either, but if you know the history of the helmet (if it was your friends and you know what it has been through), then I might make an exception.

Cheers mate. i sort of knew the guy who owned it and i know he didnt use it for any more than a few rides. and with the liner i didnt mean getting a larger liner i meant getting a liner that fit a large head. i think i would rather get a brand new lid anyway. just have to save up my pennies. cheers for your help boys

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 17:50 Quote
stewy34 wrote:
smike wrote:
stewy34 wrote:
hey guys my folks just got me a medium d3 for my birthday second hand but its a bit small and i cant really take it back. ive heard that you can change the liners in some of the sizes i was wondering if you could put a large liner and cheek pads in a medium shell. would that work? cheers

If you put large liners in a medium shell, that'll make it even smaller, no?

Personally, I would not risk running a poorly fitted helmet (i.e. wrong size), even if it's a D3. Not only that, but I would also never use a second-hand helmet either, but if you know the history of the helmet (if it was your friends and you know what it has been through), then I might make an exception.

Cheers mate. i sort of knew the guy who owned it and i know he didnt use it for any more than a few rides. and with the liner i didnt mean getting a larger liner i meant getting a liner that fit a large head. i think i would rather get a brand new lid anyway. just have to save up my pennies. cheers for your help boys

keep wearin it, it'll pack in... my fox helmet was a bit small when i first got it but now it fits uber nice...

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 18:32 Quote
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:
keep wearin it, it'll pack in... my fox helmet was a bit small when i first got it but now it fits uber nice...

Sweet cheers man.

Posted: May 24, 2011 at 18:48 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
little friend, coming from a 15 year old thats funny. And retarded? well, once again... you're 15, so i'm not too worried about it. Come say it to my face, and we'll see, mister internet tough guy

ANYWAY, the test results of helmets are not NEARLY as critical in saving lives as you, my retarded little friend, think. ANYONE can do different tests that say "X helmet is scientifically better than Y helmet", but it varies by testing machine, location of test..... lots of factors. Have you ever heard of someone saying, "yeah its a shame Billy died, if he had a TLD, he would still be here today"? No, and its because helmet standards are WAY higher than they need to be to save someone.

I have personally witnessed motorcycle accidents in which a guy doing 140mph hit an Accord, and drove the passenger door into the drivers leg, and his helmet didnt fail... but his head did. Literally, his head exploded/came apart inside it from deceleration when the helmet impacted. Like I said again, helmet standards are way higher than they need be, and anything that passes the certifications for the new standards will protect your head plenty.
yo take a chill pill bro, and its pretty f*cked up you keep calling this kid, "retarded", coming from a mod thats pretty pathetic

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 at 16:29 Quote
I just got a medium/large and its just a tad wide, Could i buy some thicker cheek pads?

Chanks guys

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 at 16:50 Quote
Chris-the-Ripper wrote:
I just got a medium/large and its just a tad wide, Could i buy some thicker cheek pads?

Chanks guys
Depends man. if you bought a large ( a medium/large helmet with the pads that fit a large head) then yeah you can put the medium sized pads and liner in. i think they sell cheek pads on chainreaction for 30 or so AUD$

Posted: Jun 1, 2011 at 18:30 Quote
Ok thanks for the help.

Posted: Dec 24, 2012 at 0:59 Quote
It is the fit, the weight, the graphic, the shape, the fact that any pro rider who is anything has one.

I have a Carbon Remedy, and like it, but when you put a TLD on, it just feels so much better.

$300 more?

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016275
Mobile Version of Website