Pimp 650b wheel build?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 12:19 Quote
Looking to make a wheelset on around £800 got a grey and minimal orange colorway ie orange hubs

Any ideas?

Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 13:11 Quote
Chris King or Tune mango hubs laced onto any grey 650b rim you can lay your hands on...?

Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 13:33 Quote
Chris king seem to get alot of bad rep for a expensive hub and look high maintenance so I'm a little put off, seems a nightmare to find any cool rims aswell!

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 13:36 Quote
The light bicycle carbon rims are a dark grey if you get them in matte UD flavour.

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 13:48 Quote
Actually, Kings are quite the contrary. Yes, they're very expensive. But you're paying for a quality product that will last longer than time. Unlike other hub manufacturers, Kings have a solid axle which is stronger. Also, their ring drive system has 72 points of engagement, which is extremely quick. As you pedal harder, the system grabs harder and reduces slip. I highly recommend Kings because, well, nothing is a King. If you're looking for a less expensive alternative, Hope Pro2 EVOs are an excellent alternative.

As for rims, you can't go wrong with a pair of Light-Bicycle rims. You can customize these bad boys to your liking. I've heard excellent things about their carbon rims and customer service. In fact, I'm ordering a pair myself this winter.

Hopefully this helps and please let us know what you get!

Posted: Dec 18, 2014 at 14:05 Quote
I just sold a set of Kings which I'm gutted bout but needed the dollar to pay off the wolves!

Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 4:37 Quote
Cheers lads swinging towards orange kings, ill check them rims out too!

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 4:47 Quote
Unfortunately don't match your colour scheme but the superstar carbon wheelset is well within budget and is a great wheelset. Love mine so far. Stiff, great pick up on the hub, tubless really easy, come with lifetime truing warranty and you get crash replacement if you manage to smash up a rim.

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2014 at 6:02 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Unfortunately don't match your colour scheme but the superstar carbon wheelset is well within budget and is a great wheelset. Love mine so far. Stiff, great pick up on the hub, tubless really easy, come with lifetime truing warranty and you get crash replacement if you manage to smash up a rim.

The overall build quality on Superstar wheels is pretty poor. I've had two sets, neither has lasted particulary long before a rebuild. Perfectly happy with the hubs though and pretty much everything else that I've used from Superstar.

O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 8:01 Quote
StueyStuey wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:

The overall build quality on Superstar wheels is pretty poor. I've had two sets, neither has lasted particulary long before a rebuild. Perfectly happy with the hubs though and pretty much everything else that I've used from Superstar.
Got to admit they could do with a tweak but i cant see why you would ever need a full rebuild unless you broke spokes.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 2:00 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
StueyStuey wrote:
Shoe2190 wrote:

Got to admit they could do with a tweak but i cant see why you would ever need a full rebuild unless you broke spokes.

That's where they eventually ended up. I'm learning to build my own wheels now instead.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015652
Mobile Version of Website