I'm disappointed in you, Colorado.

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
I'm disappointed in you, Colorado.
Previous Page |
Posted: Dec 20, 2014 at 7:10 Quote
Why is everyone in this state so obsessed with XC riding when we're a leader in downhill and lift served riding areas? I've got nearly a dozen LBS's within 5 miles of me (Colorado springs) but nobody stocks downhill/freeride bikes, or even parts for them, like forks or shocks. Even the huge Trek dealer Bycycle village, doesn't even have one single Session in stock. I asked a salesman about one, and his response was "I can show you a nice picture!" seriously !!!

Does anyone actually think I would buy a new bike sight unseen and hope it fits me right?

What the actual f*cking f*ck? I don't get it, and it's like this everywhere, all over the state, save for the bike shops that are actually AT the resort areas. I already have like 7484030737283 XC and enduro type bikes, and they're everywhere. Just once, I'd like to see a local dealer stock a few high end DH rigs. It's not like they're more expensive. I've seen some new S-works enduros pushing $10k, and there's multiples sitting on the rack. Rant over.

Posted: Jan 7, 2015 at 7:12 Quote
Go to Mojo Wheels in Denver. Your mind will be changed...

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 15:28 Quote
Mojo is Awesome. The Fix in Boulder has DH bikes too. I saw an Intense 951 in the window of a new shop on Colefax Ave.
You do have a good point though. I think its because the market isn't as big. Shops like Bicycle Village is trying to just make a buck.
It would be nice to be able to find a little more.

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 16:54 Quote
Anthonyfonzi wrote:
Mojo is Awesome. The Fix in Boulder has DH bikes too. I saw an Intense 951 in the window of a new shop on Colefax Ave.
You do have a good point though. I think its because the market isn't as big. Shops like Bicycle Village is trying to just make a buck.
It would be nice to be able to find a little more.

I've seen exactly one nice intense at timberline cycles here in the springs, but I think it was a special order for a customer

Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 9:48 Quote
Not surprised, you're in the city, at least 2 hours from any lift-served downhill. Now up here in the mountains, 3 bike shops that serve a town of 5k people, and their stock of all-mountain/trial and downhill bikes is quite nice, even have them up for demo riding.

Posted: Feb 18, 2015 at 11:16 Quote
It ain't just CO that has that issue.

Every single bike I've wanted, I've had to order. Period.

All the way from years ago.

Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 4:22 Quote
Yourworstnightmare wrote:

My point was, Colorado shouldn't HAVE that issue. We're supposed to be mountain bike USA, but no.....

Posted: Mar 4, 2015 at 7:49 Quote
Ryanek9freak wrote:
Yourworstnightmare wrote:

My point was, Colorado shouldn't HAVE that issue. We're supposed to be mountain bike USA, but no.....

I'm pretty sure C3 in Denver has an Intense Evo 951 on the shop floor. But yes, I agree that Colorado shops should stock more DH bikes.

Posted: Mar 9, 2015 at 19:39 Quote
From an outsiders perspective of the U.S,. in general, is that the dh/ freeride scene is still in its infancy and hasn't caught on. I have ridden in Id, Wy, Mon, Ore, Wash, and Utah. The closest to a legit dh scene was Jackson. I hear park city is decent and I have thought about Colorado. Maybe California? I haven't ridden there yet.

Posted: Mar 12, 2015 at 14:55 Quote
As a Bicycle Village employee... We don't have a market for DH. We have one session 88 in our stores. We sell A LOT of Fuels, Remedys and Slashes. The guys in our shop have raced everything from Road to CX to XC to DH. BV is also a part of Vail Resorts, so we do carry some DH bikes in our Mountain shops.

Posted: Mar 12, 2015 at 16:20 Quote
Redbullwarrior43 wrote:
As a Bicycle Village employee... We don't have a market for DH. We have one session 88 in our stores. We sell A LOT of Fuels, Remedys and Slashes. The guys in our shop have raced everything from Road to CX to XC to DH. BV is also a part of Vail Resorts, so we do carry some DH bikes in our Mountain shops.

I simply do not believe that there is no market. People buy them! Lots of people!

Posted: Mar 12, 2015 at 17:32 Quote
I go to school in Boulder but the few shops I've been to in the area have 1 or 2 DH bikes. That being said, what the Bike village employee said IS true whether you want to believe it or not. Downhill really doesn't have a huge demand. I'd say the downhill scene in the Bay Area is bigger than Boulder(which is weird because there are actually mountains here), but the shops who stock DH bikes in my area don't get their money from DH bike sales. DH bike maintenance? Sure. But not many bike sales. I race for a shop in San Jose who has a pretty big DH stock: 5-6 Demos and 2-3 951s (used to stock Yeti DH when that was a thing). Last time I was there, they had a single 40 and 2 boxxers. But you don't see those bikes or parts get moved often. Biggest DH sales are tires, tubes, and drive train. Out of the 20 DH riders I grew up with, only 1 DH bike was bought from a bike shop over the 6 years I was riding at home. Even personally, I only bought my first bike from a shop a year and a half ago. Out of the 100 people I've come to know somewhat well from riding, I'd say 65% buy used, and 30% have some level of sponsorship in which they get it from a rep through a shop.

Another thing to take into consideration is the port slow down that's been happening since November. I'm not sure if it's been as much of a deal for CO as it has CA, but 1000s of bikes are stuck in the ports right now. I've got a new frame that I was supposed to arrive at the end of November that has been stuck on a freighter in the port because of the union strike since, and only yesterday did I get confirmation that it is finally moving again

Posted: Mar 15, 2015 at 11:15 Quote
Criterium is probably best for that in the springs. There's some DH'rs that work there and when I was there we usually stocked a couple dh bikes at a time. But the DH market is a tough one, you gotta tie a lot of money into it as it is relatively high dollar but the inventory doesn't turn quickly.

Posted: Mar 15, 2015 at 17:27 Quote
jagarcia89 wrote:
Criterium is probably best for that in the springs. There's some DH'rs that work there and when I was there we usually stocked a couple dh bikes at a time. But the DH market is a tough one, you gotta tie a lot of money into it as it is relatively high dollar but the inventory doesn't turn quickly.

In all the years I've been going to criterium, I've seen the same Status there that I always do. Why not a demo?

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006634
Mobile Version of Website