Are DH Bikes needed in the UK?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Are DH Bikes needed in the UK?
| Next Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 7:25 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
laramee wrote:
I had a chat with one of the staff at BP Wales and he told me that you really don't need DH bikes in the uk and most of the guys who buy them in the uk are well below the standard needed to make the most of a serious DH rig.

Something like all the gear and seriously no idea!

An interesting vie of not a little negative..

Then I'll just disagree... Smile

If I follow what the guy you talked to said, then you just don't need DH bikes anywhere in the world. I mean any of us could go down Fort William, Val Di Sole on a trail bike and we'd still make it down. Oh yes it wouldn't be fun, no brakes after 3 turns, fork and shock shot after a few runs, ... Yet we don't see many trail bikes there, because the big DH rigs just allow us to go much faster on these tracks than we would on a trail bike !

I've been 2 years in a row in Ffestiniog, and I was definitely a LOT faster the time I was on a big DH bike (and the weather was even worse), hitting bigger lines, more speed, more fun. The "small" bike I had brought the other time was just not big enough, not giving enough confidence (specs were similar)

So no, we don't "need" these bikes, but it's hellova lot more fun to ride these on most DH trails. Heh, even on my local DH spot (the tracks are like 45s-1min long MAX), I just enjoy more the big DH bike, it gives you more confidence, allows for more errors, miscalculations, just not giving a crap ...

A friend here who has always said "big bikes are useless, you can do it all with an enduro bike" has recently tried my DH bike, and understood right away why I was using it, even on the small DH trails. You just let go the brakes, point where you want to go, and the bike just goes there, sucking up everything you can throw at it, and I love that Smile

@ploutre Well put sir.

@laramee , they would tell you that at BPW that's generally all you need to bimble down there, but did he also mention that none of the top 10 in the last race there were on enduro bikes?

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 at 0:45 Quote
All really good points..
The guy was probably just trying making me feel better for not having a DH bike!
I think the answer to my original question is what you need and what you want and what makes everything more fun are 2 different things.And if you want to get the most out of descending then it looks like a DH rig is the way to go.

Really glad I asked my orginal question.
Thanks guys!

Posted: Dec 30, 2014 at 14:42 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
laramee wrote:
I had a chat with one of the staff at BP Wales and he told me that you really don't need DH bikes in the uk and most of the guys who buy them in the uk are well below the standard needed to make the most of a serious DH rig.

Something like all the gear and seriously no idea!

An interesting vie of not a little negative..

Then I'll just disagree... Smile

If I follow what the guy you talked to said, then you just don't need DH bikes anywhere in the world. I mean any of us could go down Fort William, Val Di Sole on a trail bike and we'd still make it down. Oh yes it wouldn't be fun, no brakes after 3 turns, fork and shock shot after a few runs, ... Yet we don't see many trail bikes there, because the big DH rigs just allow us to go much faster on these tracks than we would on a trail bike !

I've been 2 years in a row in Ffestiniog, and I was definitely a LOT faster the time I was on a big DH bike (and the weather was even worse), hitting bigger lines, more speed, more fun. The "small" bike I had brought the other time was just not big enough, not giving enough confidence (specs were similar)

So no, we don't "need" these bikes, but it's hellova lot more fun to ride these on most DH trails. Heh, even on my local DH spot (the tracks are like 45s-1min long MAX), I just enjoy more the big DH bike, it gives you more confidence, allows for more errors, miscalculations, just not giving a crap ...

A friend here who has always said "big bikes are useless, you can do it all with an enduro bike" has recently tried my DH bike, and understood right away why I was using it, even on the small DH trails. You just let go the brakes, point where you want to go, and the bike just goes there, sucking up everything you can throw at it, and I love that Smile

^^^This^^^

Having just recently upgraded from a full sus XC bike to a sofa steed I can clearly say the big soft suspension and stronger body mean i can not only go a bit quicker I can do it MORE. Rather than it taking 3 or 4 runs on a lesser travel lighter, yet still capable bike, to knacker me out, the bigrig cushioning the bumps/rocks/roots a lot more means my legs and arms do less work allowing me more time on the bike.... that to me is the main reason to be buying a DH specific steed!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013453
Mobile Version of Website