Giant Reign 27.5 Advanced 2015

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign 27.5 Advanced 2015
O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2015 at 8:14 Quote
photo
photo

Build up my Reign Advanced a few weeks ago and luckily mine did not have the swing arm dent that many of you have found on your own bikes. I haven't been able to ride the bike yet due to the snow on the ground in the Northeast and the sub-freezing temperatures but I can't wait to get it out on the trail. I rode a Trance Advanced 1 last year with a 160mm Pike up front and while it was a great bike for trail riding and the few enduro races I did, I always wished for a little extra travel for when things got really fast and rough. Changes from the stock build on my bike include a 1x10 setup (Saint shifter, XT mid cage RD, XT 11-36 cassette, and a KMC X10SL chain), a modified E.13 LG1 chain guide,780mm Specialized S-Works DH handlebars, Specialized Butcher and Purgatory Grid tires setup tubeless, and a 54T upgrade for the Star Ratchet in the rear hub. Weight is 30.75 pounds, which is almost 3 pounds heavier than my Trance from last season but it should feel more competent on the descents. Hopefully I can get my hands on some carbon wheels which would make this bike a killer all around.

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 7:47 Quote
Just got my Reign home the other day and noticed the same issue with the "fix" from Giant on the rear triangle. Needless to say I was dissapointed to find it. I took it back to the store where it was purchased and I was given the same story on how this is a work around from Giant to fix a clearance issue. I just cant believe that anyone is considering this to be acceptable and I cant believe that Giant thinks it is acceptable either.
Listen, don't get me wrong I absolutely loved my last Reign which is why I purchased another one. That being said this model was held back and kept in development for two years and I consider this to be a huge oversight by Giant. When you pay this much money for a bike and you have a company like Giant who are quite exceptional at engineering and frame design this is just unacceptable. I mean they crimp the frame!
I know that this wont affect the ride and "shouldn't" cause any issues down the road. That being said when I brought the bike back and the rep was showing me all of the bikes in the lineup with the same dent. There were a couple things I noticed......they are not all the same. They are all crimped in slightly different spots, some bigger, some smaller than others and some that have two dents. Whats the deal with that? Oh and while I was being shown, I noticed one that didn't have a dent in it? So I had them switch the rear triangle from the one without the dent over to mine.
So I now have a bike that is dent free but am I in danger now of damaging the frame if I bottom out? Anyways I haven't even had a chance to ride the bike yet but i'm sure it will be awesome and I will love it and forget about all of this. I just wanted to express my concern for this very obvious mistake from Giant and how nobody else seems to be as bothered by it. I wish Giant would man up and formally speak on the matter and I would like to see if they are going to provide a "proper" fix. And if so are they going to do the honorable thing and provide that fix to the people who so eagerly pre-ordered their Reigns.

Cheers

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
MTR7 wrote:
Just got my Reign home the other day and noticed the same issue with the "fix" from Giant on the rear triangle. Needless to say I was dissapointed to find it. I took it back to the store where it was purchased and I was given the same story on how this is a work around from Giant to fix a clearance issue. I just cant believe that anyone is considering this to be acceptable and I cant believe that Giant thinks it is acceptable either.
Listen, don't get me wrong I absolutely loved my last Reign which is why I purchased another one. That being said this model was held back and kept in development for two years and I consider this to be a huge oversight by Giant. When you pay this much money for a bike and you have a company like Giant who are quite exceptional at engineering and frame design this is just unacceptable. I mean they crimp the frame!
I know that this wont affect the ride and "shouldn't" cause any issues down the road. That being said when I brought the bike back and the rep was showing me all of the bikes in the lineup with the same dent. There were a couple things I noticed......they are not all the same. They are all crimped in slightly different spots, some bigger, some smaller than others and some that have two dents. Whats the deal with that? Oh and while I was being shown, I noticed one that didn't have a dent in it? So I had them switch the rear triangle from the one without the dent over to mine.
So I now have a bike that is dent free but am I in danger now of damaging the frame if I bottom out? Anyways I haven't even had a chance to ride the bike yet but i'm sure it will be awesome and I will love it and forget about all of this. I just wanted to express my concern for this very obvious mistake from Giant and how nobody else seems to be as bothered by it. I wish Giant would man up and formally speak on the matter and I would like to see if they are going to provide a "proper" fix. And if so are they going to do the honorable thing and provide that fix to the people who so eagerly pre-ordered their Reigns.

Cheers

I don't think they would of been able to achieve the geometry they wanted to if they didn't have the dent, and in my opinion the geo is dialled so I'm happy

Posted: Feb 26, 2015 at 15:28 Quote
hambee-enchurbro wrote:
MTR7 wrote:

Cheers

I don't think they would of been able to achieve the geometry they wanted to if they didn't have the dent, and in my opinion the geo is dialled so I'm happy

Oh come on.....we landed a man on the moon for "Peat" sake! I am sure the engineers at Giant are more than capable of coming up with a solution to this problem without compromising the geometry of the bike.

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 18:18 Quote
I'm considering this bike but I'm curious about the complete weight. Anyone weighed theirs with or without pedals?

Posted: Mar 2, 2015 at 23:09 Quote
jwillsaylor wrote:
I'm considering this bike but I'm curious about the complete weight. Anyone weighed theirs with or without pedals?

it's light haha, haven't weighed it but thinking its probably around 30 pounds stock

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 12:37 Quote
Anyone know the crank arm length? Also the ERD and internal width of the P-AM2 rims. I can't find it anywhere.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 1:46 Quote
jwillsaylor wrote:
Anyone know the crank arm length? Also the ERD and internal width of the P-AM2 rims. I can't find it anywhere.

Believe the rims are 23mm or 24mm internal

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 10:02 Quote
My large came with 175 cranks, may vary depending on size.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 17:42 Quote
jwillsaylor wrote:
Cool, not bad.

my rear wheel isn't in too good shape though after 2 months.. a few dents and had broken some spokes just from riding. I have been thrashing it a bit though, not going to have these wheels for much longer anyway i hope Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 23:47 Quote
jwillsaylor wrote:

It would vary, like any bike. You could build one of these up from ~27lbs if you had the budget to support the parts needed.

The frame is very light for it's intended use.

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 20:36 Quote
HobNob wrote:
jwillsaylor wrote:

It would vary, like any bike. You could build one of these up from ~27lbs if you had the budget to support the parts needed.

The frame is very light for it's intended use.

I'm just talking about the factory build.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2015 at 10:54 Quote
jwillsaylor wrote:

Weighed it at the store, the advanced 1 was 31.5 lbs with pedals that I believe were around 1 lb. As well, we weighed the alloy reign 2 and it was 31.5 lbs without pedals.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 20:17 Quote
Awesome! I just ordered the aluminum reign 2. Immediately taking front d off and running a single ring and setting up tubeless. That will shed at least a pound.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018525
Mobile Version of Website