Downhill tracks in the North West?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Downhill tracks in the North West?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 14:24 Quote
Hi Guys
I live in Manchester and currently hit the road to Wales to find good DH lines. This is a long journey!
I would be really keen to know of anything recent in the NW of the UK or even if anyone can recommend anywhere in Wales that is on the closer site to Manchester as I can only get to places like BP Wales only once a month.
Been told about Farmer Johns in Stockport if anyone has heard of this place?

I would really appreciate any advice here guys.

Merry Christmas!

Posted: Dec 26, 2014 at 11:26 Quote
laramee wrote:
Hi Guys
I live in Manchester and currently hit the road to Wales to find good DH lines. This is a long journey!
I would be really keen to know of anything recent in the NW of the UK or even if anyone can recommend anywhere in Wales that is on the closer site to Manchester as I can only get to places like BP Wales only once a month.
Been told about Farmer Johns in Stockport if anyone has heard of this place?

I would really appreciate any advice here guys.

Merry Christmas!

Not quite the NW, and you probably already know of Wharncliffe / Grenoside woods in Sheffield, but if not, it would be well worth an hours drive from Manchester.

Posted: Dec 27, 2014 at 15:10 Quote
Google Foel gasnach. North Wales but not too far in tbh. Ace little place with 4 tracks to choose

Posted: Dec 27, 2014 at 15:24 Quote
Evo360 wrote:
Google Foel gasnach. North Wales but not too far in tbh. Ace little place with 4 tracks to choose

Just had a look at this place and doesn't look bad !

Posted: Dec 28, 2014 at 14:49 Quote
farmer johns is good because its so local and permanently maintained with plenty of lines. but quite short runs. £7 for the day or £30 a year plus £1 a ride membership. easy to get there, free parking and loo's google his site or hit him up on fb for more info.

Posted: Dec 29, 2014 at 9:24 Quote
laramee wrote:
Evo360 wrote:

Just had a look at this place and doesn't look bad !

Foel is very muddy but good fun. You can run your own uplifts too but you'll need to pay for membership which is about a tenner for the year. (I think). You also have Llangollen which is fairly straight forward and just on the border. Again you can run your own uplift but you must pay membership and ring to the farmer to see if you can ride. Though he does run fairly regular uplifts.

Moelfre also on the border of N. Wales and England is another good one. These guys:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MTBupliftscouk/1412586852304635?fref=ts

Have been putting in a lot of work to revitalise the tracks and run regular uplift days, check their facebook for regular updates and events.

Antur Stiniog is right into the north west coast of Wales. So quite far, but you can easily get to it a straight forward (until the last 15/20 minutes) hour and a bit drive from Chester along the A55.

And Revolution Bike Park which is slightly more difficult to get to and you will need to book well in advance but would be a lot closer than BPW and is a lot harder too!

There is also a few tracks in Shropshire run by Pearce Cycles which have dedicated uplift days, but you will struggle to get on them as they sell out quickly.

Posted: Jan 12, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
Gisburn Forrest just passed clithero mate. Numerous dh lines along with am and xc lines. Check out there website. Only cost is for parking it's cheap though I think if memory serves me right it's like 3 quid for the day.

Posted: Jan 12, 2015 at 12:59 Quote
Cheers mate

Can you ride Gisburn on a DH bike?

Posted: Jan 12, 2015 at 13:04 Quote
Yes mate there's numerous dh lines. Check out Hope line and hully gully and that's just 2 of the routes. There's loads up there.

Posted: Feb 9, 2015 at 7:19 Quote
They have actually just built a new downhill track at gisburn, gap tables, tables, berms and gap tables.
there is also a "secret" big dirty jump section hidden away

Posted: Feb 9, 2015 at 12:55 Quote
Fancy sharing the location haha

Posted: Feb 9, 2015 at 16:06 Quote
Will in summer as I think they are working on it at moment and won't want loads of people bobbing down there!

Posted: Feb 10, 2015 at 9:33 Quote
Haha Ye fair one mate

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 at 10:27 Quote
Not exactly a purpose built DH track, but there's plenty of stuff up Rivington Pike, near Bolton. Another one next to that is Winter Hill - the descent off the top is open and fast. And off the top of my head there are a couple of technical rocky trails there too, slightly lower down the hill.

Indeed, there is a purpose built place at Healey Nab woods too - and they have a DH line, it's short, but so is the push back up, so you can get a few laps in. Hope that helps.

Posted: Mar 18, 2015 at 11:26 Quote
You got dirt Trax in Todmonden couple of DH traxs and some really good free line tracks, but another idea is see if any one heading over to North Wales and jump in with them shares the cost.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012811
Mobile Version of Website