Scott Gambler 720 vs Voltage FR 720

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Scott Gambler 720 vs Voltage FR 720
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2014 at 12:25 Quote
Hi there

I am thinking about buying either a Scott Gambler 720 or a Scott Voltage FR 720.
The two bikes are similar in many ways. 27.5" wheels, coil fork and coil shock and similar frame geometry. The only MAJOR difference, that I can see, is the rear shock setup (linkage type).

Weight-wise, the gambler is not much heavier (just 400 grams).

So how could I expect that the two bikes will feel and behave, compared to each other? As they both have coil forks and shocks, I suppose they'll feel quite similar? Do you think the rear shock setup will make them feel very different?

Link to Gambler 720: http://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/products/238264/SCOTT-Gambler-720-Bike/
Link to Voltage FR 720: https://www.scott-sports.com/de/en/products/238267/SCOTT-Voltage-FR-720-Bike/

Best regards,
Søren

Editor O+ FL
Posted: Jan 5, 2015 at 11:15 Quote
Although there are a few similarities between the Gambler and the Voltage, out on the trail they have noticably different personalities. With a longer wheelbase, 210mm of travel vs. the Voltage's 170 or 190mm, and a slacker head angle, the Gambler shines on burly, straight down the fall line types of trails, similar to what you'd find on the most technical stops of the World Cup. An aggressive riding style is required to take advantage of the Gambler's capabilities, and at slower speeds the bike can feel like a handful. The Gambler's rear suspension design helps keep it glued to the ground, which is an asset for the extremely rought terrain its designed for, but it does require more effort to get it airborne. Not that it can't jump - Nico Vink's monster hucks on the FEST series circuit should be evidence enough - it's just that it takes more rider input to lift those wheels off the ground.

This year our inclusion of the Voltage on our list of nominees for DH Bike of the Year raised some eyebrows, but the fact is, for most riders, the Voltage will be an easier bike to ride, and that translates to more fun on the trail. A slightly steeper head angle, shorter wheelbase, and a little less travel gives it a more playful personality, one that's suited for a wider range of terrain than the Gambler. Choosing which bike to purchase will depend on your intentions. Will your riding mainly take place in bike parks, perhaps with a few local DH races thrown into the mix? Choose the Voltage. Do you have expert (or better) bike handling skills, and constantly seek out the steepest, gnarliest tracks around? The Gambler will be the way to go.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008299
Mobile Version of Website