Want to build new set of Tubeless wheels for Downhill

PB Forum :: Downhill
Want to build new set of Tubeless wheels for Downhill
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 1, 2015 at 17:02 Quote
I have never had tubeless wheels before. I have a 2014 Giant Glory and I want to build a new set of wheel and I am not sure what to buy. I will start with the hubs. I would like to go with Hope Pro 2 evo's. Just need to double check what size to order. I believe the rear should be 150mm X12mm and the front is just the 20mm is this correct? For the wheels I really don't know I should go with I kind of narrowed it down to two. I was thinking of going with Stan's ZTR Flow EX or Mavic EX 823. I do hit and smash through stuff so I do need some durability. I mostly ride the Whistler Bike Park. Do I need to use a special tire or can I use any Maxxis Minions DHF. Can I use a folding tire or should i use a wire tire? Also do I need to use sealant? Thanks for any Help

Posted: Jan 1, 2015 at 19:16 Quote
Tagging along as I just had an 823 built up.

I can't get my wire bead minion dhf to hold air- the bead seals but it leaks air thru the sidewall consistently and evenly all the way around have 2 oz of stans sealant inside going to try adding a bit more but if not I'll be going with a foldable bead ust minion.
Kinda upsetting since the minion has 3 hrs in the bike park on it and that's it.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2015 at 13:27 Quote
why build custom? the Easton Havoc UST150 is the official wheel of whistler... well it was at some point. it comes tubeless ready. the rear can easily switch between 150 and 157 (rear widht depends very much on what bike you have but i presume the glory is a 150mm width). is light. strong. has great warranty. looks good and is trusted by several world cup racers. dont know about prices in canada at the moment but i just picked up a pair for the equivalent of about $600 canadian. other than that i hear a lot of people are running the flow ex's with no problems for DH stuff and the hope hubs are amazing and noisy, which i like.

Kent as for your sealing problem have you tried 3-4oz of sealant? the volume of big dh tyres sometimes needs a bit more. also with no knowledge of what rim you're running and how old/dinged it is its difficult to offer good advice. same with the tyres. i had an almost new hans dampf that wouldnt stay up. turns out i put a huge gouge in the sidewall on the first ride that i hadnt noticed. no surprise that it kept going flat! my minion dhf on the other hand has always sealed well, and thats on an old singletrack rim that was never made to be tubeless...

Posted: Jan 3, 2015 at 16:03 Quote
eqsound wrote:

Kent as for your sealing problem have you tried 3-4oz of sealant? the volume of big dh tyres sometimes needs a bit more. also with no knowledge of what rim you're running and how old/dinged it is its difficult to offer good advice.

its a mavic 823 which is a tubeless rim and its brand new i have never ridden it becuase i cant get the tire to seal. Im going to try adding more sealant to see but I may buy a new ust minion.
the tire has 3 hours in whistler on it. no gouges, it takes about 4 hours to go from 35 psi to empty. slow bubbles thru the sidewall

Posted: Jan 3, 2015 at 18:42 Quote
I have had my ex823 for two seasons now, I've built the wheels myself on pro2evos with 2.0mm dt spokes. They are still on the first true and are straight as an arrow, not even the slightest of waving or dent. I am an average rider, not very gentle in the rough stuff and this is why I built those. I would strongly recommend them to you based on my experience, their so good it convinced two of my friends to build the exact same thing. Also on experience, I would not go for Havocs if you are concerned about durability. Another of my riding buddy got a brand new set this season, they were dented and warped on the first day, he's been riding for 10 years and haven't damaged a set of wheels that badly in all is life. They are extremely light though, very thin and high tension spokes and feather light rims make for a nice performing rim but not a durable one imho, especially compared to battle proven ex823's. If durability and almost ''fit and forget'' wheels are more important to you than ultimate speed and lowest weight, get those.

Edit: I've ran them with Conti Derkaiser project tubeless last season no problem, no leak and no burp for me. Obviously using UST tires would definitely be better if availible though since the beads are made to lock with the rim profile.

Posted: Jan 3, 2015 at 19:39 Quote
The Havoc are pricey and there is no hope hubs which I want. So I am leaning towards going Mavic ex823's with hope hubs. If I use ust minions do I need to use sealant? What should I use for spokes and nipples? I think the 823's are the way to go I want tough no maintenance wheels

Posted: Jan 3, 2015 at 19:52 Quote
My buddy runs 823s which convinced me to build my rear up as my 729 didn't even last this single whislter season.
He runs front n rear 823s on ust minions he put a 2 oz bottle in each for good measure but doesnt have any issues.

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2015 at 19:58 Quote
robsmustang wrote:
The Havoc are pricey and there is no hope hubs which I want. So I am leaning towards going Mavic ex823's with hope hubs. If I use ust minions do I need to use sealant? What should I use for spokes and nipples? I think the 823's are the way to go I want tough no maintenance wheels
DT swiss champion spokes and pro lock nipples tup

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2015 at 16:40 Quote
robsmustang wrote:

always use sealant.

Posted: Jan 5, 2015 at 10:49 Quote
Ok thanks I will use sealant aswell. What works best stans or slime?

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2015 at 19:30 Quote
robsmustang wrote:
Ok thanks I will use sealant aswell. What works best stans or slime?
Stan's works like a charm and is really easy to clean up, I've never used slime though and haven't heard of many people using it as a tubeless sealant

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018957
Mobile Version of Website