'15 Trance SX

PB Forum :: Giant
'15 Trance SX
Author Message
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 10:09 Quote
sorenwrang wrote:
I am a little unsure how to set up my suspension, with regards to compression dampening and rebound. Any suggestions?

For now, I have adjusted the pressure so the sag is around 30%. On the fork, I have dialed the compression dampening and rebound around 1/3 of the clicks from minimum towards maximum.

The shock is set to "mid" and the red dial is also 1/3 of the clicks from minimum towards maximum.

I think this is a good starting point, but I would like to hear what you have done.

Best regards

I have about 5 rides on mine and found that I need the rear at 35% with at 9 out of 12 clicks (i think) from minimum.

The fork I run a little less sag and about the same rebound. I started off where you are but found the suspension didn't feel very active or fun

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 12:36 Quote
crispy4505 wrote:
sorenwrang wrote:
I am a little unsure how to set up my suspension, with regards to compression dampening and rebound. Any suggestions?

For now, I have adjusted the pressure so the sag is around 30%. On the fork, I have dialed the compression dampening and rebound around 1/3 of the clicks from minimum towards maximum.

The shock is set to "mid" and the red dial is also 1/3 of the clicks from minimum towards maximum.

I think this is a good starting point, but I would like to hear what you have done.

Best regards

I have about 5 rides on mine and found that I need the rear at 35% with at 9 out of 12 clicks (i think) from minimum.

The fork I run a little less sag and about the same rebound. I started off where you are but found the suspension didn't feel very active or fun

Okay, so you went for quite fast rebound I see.
What about the 3-click dial on the rear? Middle setting?

Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 16:02 Quote
sorenwrang wrote:
crispy4505 wrote:
sorenwrang wrote:
I am a little unsure how to set up my suspension, with regards to compression dampening and rebound. Any suggestions?

For now, I have adjusted the pressure so the sag is around 30%. On the fork, I have dialed the compression dampening and rebound around 1/3 of the clicks from minimum towards maximum.

The shock is set to "mid" and the red dial is also 1/3 of the clicks from minimum towards maximum.

I think this is a good starting point, but I would like to hear what you have done.

Best regards

I have about 5 rides on mine and found that I need the rear at 35% with at 9 out of 12 clicks (i think) from minimum.

The fork I run a little less sag and about the same rebound. I started off where you are but found the suspension didn't feel very active or fun

Okay, so you went for quite fast rebound I see.
What about the 3-click dial on the rear? Middle setting?

Are you talking about the compression (blue lever). I keep it in the middle mostly which is similar to the Fox Trail setting. If I am riding mostly downhill I will flip the lever to Min I believe (pointing toward the back of the bike)

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 5:01 Quote
So it is like the Climb-Trail-Descend on Fox, just called Firm-Mid-Min?

ace10brian wrote:
sorenwrang wrote:
crispy4505 wrote:


I have about 5 rides on mine and found that I need the rear at 35% with at 9 out of 12 clicks (i think) from minimum.

The fork I run a little less sag and about the same rebound. I started off where you are but found the suspension didn't feel very active or fun

Okay, so you went for quite fast rebound I see.
What about the 3-click dial on the rear? Middle setting?

Are you talking about the compression (blue lever). I keep it in the middle mostly which is similar to the Fox Trail setting. If I am riding mostly downhill I will flip the lever to Min I believe (pointing toward the back of the bike)

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 12:46 Quote
Yeah

sorenwrang wrote:
So it is like the Climb-Trail-Descend on Fox, just called Firm-Mid-Min?

ace10brian wrote:
sorenwrang wrote:


Okay, so you went for quite fast rebound I see.
What about the 3-click dial on the rear? Middle setting?

Are you talking about the compression (blue lever). I keep it in the middle mostly which is similar to the Fox Trail setting. If I am riding mostly downhill I will flip the lever to Min I believe (pointing toward the back of the bike)

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 21:14 Quote
sorenwrang wrote:
Okay, so you went for quite fast rebound I see.
What about the 3-click dial on the rear? Middle setting?

I usually run it in the wide open position unless there's a significant climb, then I'll put it in the middle. Coming from an for bike, maestro is so efficient

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 at 9:30 Quote
crispy4505 wrote:
ace10brian wrote:
Anyone running the stock wheels tubeless? Which rim strips are needed?

My bike came with the tubeless conversion kit, just needed to buy sealant. I plan on doing the conversion before spring, which might be June

Just wondering if you have you done your conversion yet? Was it a Stan's conversion kit that came with your bike? I couldn't find which kit would work for the Giant P-AM2 rim on the Stan's website so I contacted Stan's and even they weren't sure... They were going to contact a local Gaint dealer last week but I haven't had a relply yet. They say the Giant rims tend to be a bit different and sometimes take some testing to find the correct strip. Has anyone had sucess with converting to tubeless with the P-AM2 rim?

Posted: Mar 14, 2015 at 19:49 Quote
ubnaka wrote:
crispy4505 wrote:
ace10brian wrote:
Anyone running the stock wheels tubeless? Which rim strips are needed?

My bike came with the tubeless conversion kit, just needed to buy sealant. I plan on doing the conversion before spring, which might be June

Just wondering if you have you done your conversion yet? Was it a Stan's conversion kit that came with your bike? I couldn't find which kit would work for the Giant P-AM2 rim on the Stan's website so I contacted Stan's and even they weren't sure... They were going to contact a local Gaint dealer last week but I haven't had a relply yet. They say the Giant rims tend to be a bit different and sometimes take some testing to find the correct strip. Has anyone had sucess with converting to tubeless with the P-AM2 rim?
you might find some help here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/

Posted: Mar 28, 2015 at 3:20 Quote
Anybody running a chain guide on the 2015 SX? I think I'm going to need a bash ring riding on rocky New England trails and with the 1x11 it looks like the best setup would be a chain guide/bash ring like the e*thirteen LG1+. Anybody using the LG1+ or have another recommendation? Is a chain guide overkill for trail riding? Also, does this bike use the ISCG (old) or ISCG05 bolt pattern?
thanks.

Posted: Mar 28, 2015 at 11:47 Quote
Kiloengineer wrote:
Anybody running a chain guide on the 2015 SX? I think I'm going to need a bash ring riding on rocky New England trails and with the 1x11 it looks like the best setup would be a chain guide/bash ring like the e*thirteen LG1+. Anybody using the LG1+ or have another recommendation? Is a chain guide overkill for trail riding? Also, does this bike use the ISCG (old) or ISCG05 bolt pattern?
thanks.
"14 SX had a ISCG05 pattern. Don't think they changed the frame from '14 - '15. Chain guide might be a bit of overkill with a N/W, but a bash guard might not be a bad idea. The Blackspire Bruiser is on my list. The LG1+ has a nice techy look to it I must say. My '14 originally had an MRP G3 mini come stock but it developed cracks around the guide pull housing. Was not impressed. Apparently it was an issue with that guide.
Cheers!

Posted: Mar 28, 2015 at 18:09 Quote
2015 trance SX ,, super spec I bought one in dec after demo riding the advanced reign !! the reign was geared to much for the downhill didn't climb that well!! .. I bought a set of rovel fattie wheels ( new take offs) (142+ off a specialized YES they fit right on to the trance frame a small 1.6mm washer drive side.. went tubeless nobby nics next bars , more bac sweep .. devo seat and it's perfect about 27 lbs no pedals.. and great price up here in Canada..

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 12:22 Quote
Kiloengineer wrote:
Anybody running a chain guide on the 2015 SX? I think I'm going to need a bash ring riding on rocky New England trails and with the 1x11 it looks like the best setup would be a chain guide/bash ring like the e*thirteen LG1+. Anybody using the LG1+ or have another recommendation? Is a chain guide overkill for trail riding? Also, does this bike use the ISCG (old) or ISCG05 bolt pattern?
thanks.

I'm rocking the AMg on my '15 Trance SX: http://www.mrpbike.com/amg

Had the Giant store install it before I left the shop, it works great! I'm glad I have them install it, watching them remove the cranks looked like a PITA.

FYI, there is a little rubbing when you are in the highest and lowest cogs but that's expected, according to MRP.

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 16:44 Quote
Thanks crispy and fuzzysock - they both look like great solutions that i hadn't seen before. Leaning toward the AMg because it has a bash guard and an upper chain guide but doesn't use the idler like the E*thirteen. Hoping to take delivery of the bike in a few days and this will be the first mod. Can't wait!

Posted: Apr 11, 2015 at 19:03 Quote
Kiloengineer wrote:
Anybody running a chain guide on the 2015 SX? I think I'm going to need a bash ring riding on rocky New England trails and with the 1x11 it looks like the best setup would be a chain guide/bash ring like the e*thirteen LG1+. Anybody using the LG1+ or have another recommendation? Is a chain guide overkill for trail riding? Also, does this bike use the ISCG (old) or ISCG05 bolt pattern?
thanks.

I definitely recommend a chain guide if you are an aggressive rider. I have had to run them on both my old 2014 Trance 1 and my new 2015 reign 1. If you want a bash guide just get a combined bash guard and box guide. My reign runs a standard OEM MRP AMg guide and it runs like a dream. Another option which I ran on my trance was just a Csix box guide that comes off the deraileur mount on the frame. Extremely light and effective but drops that extra safety of protecting your chain ring.

On the other hand my girlfriend has been riding her new Trance SX for a month or so now and as she is currently a significantly less aggressive rider she has had no need for one.

Posted: May 19, 2015 at 10:58 Quote
What upgrades have people done to their SXs so far?
Mine's pretty stock atm and was thinking either wheels or bars and seat.
Opinions please Smile


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008475
Mobile Version of Website