Specialized Status I: curious if anyone has experience racing enduro on one.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Specialized Status I: curious if anyone has experience racing enduro on one.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2015 at 15:04 Quote
I purchased a 2015 Specialized Status I mid summer for ripping my local park (Highland). I absolutely love it for park riding. This upcoming season I'm planning on entering some races (DH and Enduro) and was curious if anyone has raced enduro on this bike. Specifically, I'm looking for advice on "must have" parts/gear that would increase my enjoyment and performance, specifically for enduro racing as I've not yet participated in one of these events. Thanks in advance for any help this community can provide.

Posted: Jan 4, 2015 at 15:39 Quote
I raced two enduro races on my Status, and did fairly well on it. Don't be fooled though, it's a heavy bike and if there are any extended uphill sections in the races you're entering, you're gonna have a bad time.

Parts-wise, you'll probably want a dropper post and some sort of front mech (or maybe a 1x setup?). I'm running a Hammerschmidt on mine, can be found on eBay for pretty cheap. Otherwise, you're going to have a very tough time climbing hills even in the granny gear.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.scottstedman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/34.jpg
Should give you a basic idea of parts spec. Sorry it's not a static shot, but at least you can see the hammerschmidt. From the research I did when I was modifying the bike, I don't think the frame is compatible with a front derailleur unless you figure out a way to jury-rig one onto the seat tube.

Clips are also not a terrible idea, but that's kind of down to preference.

Hope that helps some! Feel free to ask questions.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 4, 2015 at 16:44 Quote
No reason why not. Might be a pig when pedalling between stages but will be fun going down. You could look at an air fork and shock to lighten it up, as well as a lighter wheelset. Also look at a large range cassette at the back for the climbing as well as a dropper post.

Posted: Jan 4, 2015 at 18:33 Quote
Thanks guys. Great feedback. Drop post is definitely on the list for a start, and I'll look into the hammerschmidt. Lighter wheels are on the list for when I blow the stock ones out (maybe earlier than planned. Lol.) Good point on the air shocks too. I had not considered that. I was also thinking longer cranks, to help with the climbs.

Again, thank you. Looking forward to manhandling this beast!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024406
Mobile Version of Website