Work trip to Portland: which bike to bring?

PB Forum :: USA - West
Work trip to Portland: which bike to bring?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 5, 2015 at 12:45 Quote
I'm going to be in Portland from Jan-Mar and keen to ride. Should I bring hardtail or 6" bike? Are there suitable trails for 6" bike at this time of year, close enough for daytrips? Or should I resign myself to fireroads on the hardtail? Are there trails you can ride to from downtown? Where's best on web to hookup with riders? Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted: Jan 8, 2015 at 14:28 Quote
6" travel HT would be all that is needed, but if you plan on only hitting the Mt Hood area courses doing DH, bring the 6" FS bike.

bigquotesAre there trails you can ride to from downtown?
A few, but most of the good trails in city are illegal for bikes. It's the Tualatin Mountain Range just behind Downtown starting at Washington/Forest park and continuing past Linton. Everything North of Linton is legal and not HT friendly. You can either poach past Linton, or you can drive to the legal ride trails. They are the closest, only 10 minutes drive from DT PDX. Anything better than Dixie Mountain[Rocky Point Road](North of Linton Park) is about 40 minutes to an hour drive.

Posted: Jan 9, 2015 at 1:40 Quote
Thanks for the info, I'm staying in Pearl so that's pretty close. What are the consequences of getting caught riding illegal trails? Work would not like me getting into too much trouble. Are there car washes with pressure washers in Pearl area?

Posted: Jan 10, 2015 at 14:43 Quote
lochussie wrote:
Thanks for the info, I'm staying in Pearl so that's pretty close. What are the consequences of getting caught riding illegal trails? Work would not like me getting into too much trouble. Are there car washes with pressure washers in Pearl area?
A jogger scowling at you or telling you what you would already have seen posted on the signs. Only once did a guy try to get in my face on an illegal ride(was not the Tualatin Mountain Range, Wildwood trail), even though I followed trail etiquette and stopped to let him and his dog pass. I just pedaled on; yelling at people never accomplishes anything, other than growing resentment. Though, you can follow Lief Ericson to Linton park and continue north, Linton Wildwood trail is still off limits to our asses on the seat.

Car washes have grease stripping detergents, I suggest not using them and asking the Phat Tire Farm in the Pearl if you could use their hose after a ride, once you buy a tube to show some support. Gas station water hose on NW 30th and Yeon is $0.50, just put your finger in front of the nozzle to induce pressure.

Posted: Jan 11, 2015 at 0:44 Quote
Good info, thank you.

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 11:42 Quote
You can take the Bolt Bus or Amtrak if you have time to travel. If you're going to be there for a weekend, it might be worth a trip up north. There is plenty of riding in Seattle and Olympia.
I know the Amtrak has spots on the train designated for bikes. I'm not sure how it'd work on the Bolt Bus, but I'm guessing you have a bike case.
There's also a Greyhound Bus that goes out to Hood River (awesome Enduro riding).

Posted: Feb 10, 2015 at 16:33 Quote
I just moved to the area for work as well. What is a good trail close to DT I could bring the DH bike through? Also looking for a good AM/XC loop for cardio!

OP; PM me and we can meet up and go for a ride sometime soon!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006049
Mobile Version of Website