2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Mar 25, 2017 at 23:33 Quote
How much air are you guys running in the duel air pike? Am having to run 120 psi to achieve 20 % sag. Seams quite alot to me. Am a 180 pounds in riding gear.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 0:29 Quote
Fresh raw and polish on 2015 Reign

Fresh raw and polish ready to build back up

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 0:30 Quote
I'm 157 pounds , I use 72 psi in the DPA pike. Maybe there's air trapped in your lowers?

I'm waiting for my pike to return from warranty, so in the mean time I purchased a vivid coil shock to replace the monarch. I'd like to run the coil as soon as my fork comes back if possible. I purchased a 450 pound spring for my weight 157 pounds( 70kg) , should I buy a 400 pound spring just in case it's too heavy? Or dose anyone have a coilshock on he Reign and weigh similar to me? Lastly when people say minimum one turn of preload, is this measured from the isntant the preload collar touches the spring and then 360* from there?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 0:36 Quote
dirch wrote:
Fresh raw and polish on 2015 Reign

Fresh raw and polish ready to build back up

That looks awesome!
I've wanted to do this for weeks, but have been worried it may turn out bad.
Did you do it yourself ? Please tell me about your method!

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 0:36 Quote
Reignrob wrote:
How much air are you guys running in the duel air pike? Am having to run 120 psi to achieve 20 % sag. Seams quite alot to me. Am a 180 pounds in riding gear.

DPA pikes require a bit more pressure. I'm around 80kg and I have 1 token in there and have around 22-24% sag from 105psi.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 1:28 Quote
Mattherby wrote:
Reignrob wrote:

DPA pikes require a bit more pressure. I'm around 80kg and I have 1 token in there and have around 22-24% sag from 105psi.

How is the behaviour of the Pike different between SA and DPA? Thinking of getting DPA. Thanks.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 1:34 Quote
Mattherby wrote:
Reignrob wrote:

cheers I just looked at the air spring guide on fork and it reccomends for a 180-200 pound rider between 105-125 psi. I wasn't aware you could use tokens in the duel airs. That's something I might have to have a play with.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 4:27 Quote
kolja wrote:
I'm 157 pounds , I use 72 psi in the DPA pike. Maybe there's air trapped in your lowers?

I'm waiting for my pike to return from warranty, so in the mean time I purchased a vivid coil shock to replace the monarch. I'd like to run the coil as soon as my fork comes back if possible. I purchased a 450 pound spring for my weight 157 pounds( 70kg) , should I buy a 400 pound spring just in case it's too heavy? Or dose anyone have a coilshock on he Reign and weigh similar to me? Lastly when people say minimum one turn of preload, is this measured from the isntant the preload collar touches the spring and then 360* from there?

Thanks

I'm 110 lbs and I used a 400 lbs spring so I'll think you'll be fine

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 5:32 Quote
Reignrob wrote:
Mattherby wrote:
Reignrob wrote:

cheers I just looked at the air spring guide on fork and it reccomends for a 180-200 pound rider between 105-125 psi. I wasn't aware you could use tokens in the duel airs. That's something I might have to have a play with.

My Reign Advanced 1 come with two spaces in a bag, tried none at first and I was blowing throught the travel too easy. Put 2 in to see the difference and it was hell of a ramp up on the forks, way too much. Finally settled on 1 token and that seems much better.

Not perfect though because I had Marzocchi 350CR before the pikes and I find them a better fork overall.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 5:48 Quote
GeoffHollister wrote:
Has anyone slapped at 170mm or larger fork on their Reign? And do you have any feedback on how it affects geometry/handling? I'm a large guy who races primarily DH, and I want a little more forgiveness when I'm pinned on the trail bike.

I rode 180mm xfusion metric before, with reign 2, handling kinda sluggish for me, but it does gave u confidence to tackle steeper/rougher trails...but at d cost of few headset...first 2-3 months, it was ok, but then those headsets started creaking..after lowering down the travel to 160, all is good for 3 months..and handles well too on downhill, much playful

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 6:24 Quote
Reignrob wrote:
You mean Dual Position right? I'm running 105psi with 3 Tokens on my DPA Pike. I'm about the same weight as you.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 8:29 Quote
Hi guys noticed my rear wheel develops a bit of play after a few runs. It stays tightened but develops play. If i untighten it then do it back up the play goes. Anyone noticed this or had any problems? Gisnt pam2 wheels

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 13:16 Quote
Hey guys just an update on the 2017 advanced 1.

I had the seat post looked at as I thought it was not as smooth as the brand new one (150mm giant post as well) on my 2015 reign. After getting it back it was still doing it. Turns out the seat clamp they use on the new advanced one is a dual screw type instead of the adjustable one. I unscrewed both and then slowly screwed them back in taking turns between the two and sure enough it works fine now.

Just a note, I think I read someone on here ask if the large frame would allow the 150 post. It does, my large came with it one, and I can pretty much slam it all the way down. Although I have it up about 2in to get it in the right climbing position for my hight 6'2", and 31" in seem.

Lastly, while the bike was in for the post I took my 2015 reign 2 out for a ride, as i havnt sold it yet. After going back to the advanced 1, wow what a difference. The bike turns better, tracks better, climbs better, and decends like a champ. The x2 is always there for support, and I do an almost 2 hour ride on the road to get to and from the local hill and the lockout is awesome. The new XT drive train has also been running smoothly even with that pie sized ring on the back. The only thing I would have like is another step between the 36T and 46T. Although maybe it wasn't worth it, and I will have to trust Shimano's engineering team Smile .

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 13:59 Quote
oli99 wrote:
Hi guys noticed my rear wheel develops a bit of play after a few runs. It stays tightened but develops play. If i untighten it then do it back up the play goes. Anyone noticed this or had any problems? Gisnt pam2 wheels

Sadly, these rear hubs are adjustable. A lot of pages back I wrote about it, use the search function as I am too lazy to look it up myself.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 15:53 Quote
wolfhawk wrote:
Hey guys just an update on the 2017 advanced 1.

I had the seat post looked at as I thought it was not as smooth as the brand new one (150mm giant post as well) on my 2015 reign. After getting it back it was still doing it. Turns out the seat clamp they use on the new advanced one is a dual screw type instead of the adjustable one. I unscrewed both and then slowly screwed them back in taking turns between the two and sure enough it works fine now.

Just a note, I think I read someone on here ask if the large frame would allow the 150 post. It does, my large came with it one, and I can pretty much slam it all the way down. Although I have it up about 2in to get it in the right climbing position for my hight 6'2", and 31" in seem.

Lastly, while the bike was in for the post I took my 2015 reign 2 out for a ride, as i havnt sold it yet. After going back to the advanced 1, wow what a difference. The bike turns better, tracks better, climbs better, and decends like a champ. The x2 is always there for support, and I do an almost 2 hour ride on the road to get to and from the local hill and the lockout is awesome. The new XT drive train has also been running smoothly even with that pie sized ring on the back. The only thing I would have like is another step between the 36T and 46T. Although maybe it wasn't worth it, and I will have to trust Shimano's engineering team Smile .

Yeah a QR seat post clamp and dropper don't mix well. Overtightening of the post clamp is one of the biggest mistakes with dropper posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018659
Mobile Version of Website