2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
felix-da-house-mouse wrote:
sweet, is there not a lot of free play to be taken up due to going from 2 chain rings to one?
No, because the 2 rings are on different mounting points. Fit, screw, be happy....

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 8:28 Quote
sweet, is there not a lot of free play to be taken up due to going from 2 chain rings to one?

Don't think there's any free play. The rings are bolted onto the spider so the spider itself will stay in the same position vis a vis the B/B. I've just done similar on a Trance only I stuck to 10 speed but put a 42 on the back and replaced the 15 and 17 wth a 16 and an oval 30 upfront. Absolutely simple. I chose to replace the B/B as it was creaking and there was a bit of play on the drive side, but otherwise the whole thing would have been about a 20 - 30 min job, though getting the chain length and the derailleur tuned just right took a bit of patience. Not sure I'd have bothered doing it if I hadn't been sold on the idea of the oval upfront though.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 8:49 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:
Whitey1 wrote:

The rear brake hose goes through the frame on both the Trance and Reign, so you'd need to split and re-bleed the rear brake each swap, front will be fine.

I'd just switch to a Reign, I'm getting rid of my Trance - I don't ride it anymore, much prefer my Reign.

Ah now it makes sense. But it's external on my Trance, neatly cable tied in. In fact I replaced the brakes but it never had been internal, strange! I could make it internal Now I guess, just never thought of it up till now.
From the responses so far it's clear that I need to get a decent demo on a Reign then but I wonder if I'd asked the same question of Trance owners group re switching, what would the response have been? The key is I'd only want the Reign performance a few months of the year. I thought one or two comments might have suggested the X-Fusion Sweeps would be a weak link on a Reign but none do far. Got to say I think they have been fantastic on the Trance so far, esp after pushing out to 150 (160 with added spacer) . Much MUCH better than the Sektor, Fox 32 (float?) and Revelations I've used on bikes in the past.

Thanks for the responses so far guys, much appreciated.[/Quote]

To be honest, mate, I don't think there's much difference in the climbing capabilities of the Reign and the Trance. I ride mine as a single bike all the time, climbing everything I used to on my hardtail and more. Just the other week I climbed a section of trail I'd never been able to do on my old bikes, and honestly it kept on plugging, without any issues. 40% in places (yes, it's that steep - concrete communications tower access road)

And the way it goes down... oh my my. I'd happily use this thing for multi-day epic rides and where there's no lift access. They're not called All Mountain bikes for nothing...[/Quote]

I think from all the answers so far I've just got to do a proper demo of a good Reign and decide whether to go down the road of changing parts from two frames depending on where I'm biking, or settling for one, whether it be a Trance or a Reign. I might well end up with just a Reign but you know what it's like, when you put so much into getting your bike just about as perfect as it can be for you, there's a reluctance to move on. Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and can't wait to get a Reign on demo and see for myself just how great they are. Much appreciated!

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 11:09 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:
ka81 wrote:
sam-hughes1 wrote:

Chainring, rear mech, cassette, chain, shifter, gear cable (if you're converting from 2x10)
what about chainline? Where to instal new chainring (instead of small or big 2x chainring)?
New crankset?

Install it on the inside face of your 2x10 crank - ie exactly where your current big ring sits. Ideally, put a 3mm spacer or a few washers in place to get optimal chainline, but it's not necessary really. You can run it without spacers until you get hold of any.

That depends on the ring some are already spaced for this.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 11:41 Quote
Can somebody please post a photos of the 1x system with one new chainring on stock cranckset?.,

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 13:30 Quote
ka81 wrote:
Can somebody please post a photos of the 1x system with one new chainring on stock cranckset?.,
here's a whole page explaining it:
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/pages/understanding-chainline-for-optimal-1x-conversions-boost-and-non-boost
If you happen to live in the Ukraine, I think these guys are too:
http://garbaruk.com/chainrings-round/bcd-mount.html
plus they make wide-range cassette parts too.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 20:58 Quote
Just swapped the stock GIANT seat off my 2016 Reign Advanced...my, why didn't I do this sooner. That seat was just never comfortable and seemed to like to grab my shorts. Back to a tried and true Chromag Trailmaster. Worth mentioning kudos to the Spank Spike Vibracore handlebar I also added - miles above the stock bar in comfort...

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 0:18 Quote
Hey guys, Ive converted to a 35mm stem from the standard 55mm on a medium Reign and while I like the manouverability I've gained, I have noticed a loss of front wheel grip and confidence in loose corners. Anyone had these issues and if so, how did you remedy it? Would lowering the stem down a spacer or 2 help or do I need a longer stem?

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 4:38 Quote
bigredride wrote:
Just swapped the stock GIANT seat off my 2016 Reign Advanced...my, why didn't I do this sooner. That seat was just never comfortable and seemed to like to grab my shorts. Back to a tried and true Chromag Trailmaster. Worth mentioning kudos to the Spank Spike Vibracore handlebar I also added - miles above the stock bar in comfort...
Swapped the Giant saddle on my 2017 Reign 1 to a WTB Volt 135mm. Big improvement, particularly on long rides.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 5:07 Quote
fabsmf wrote:
Hey guys, Ive converted to a 35mm stem from the standard 55mm on a medium Reign and while I like the manouverability I've gained, I have noticed a loss of front wheel grip and confidence in loose corners. Anyone had these issues and if so, how did you remedy it? Would lowering the stem down a spacer or 2 help or do I need a longer stem?

You really need to shift your body weight forward while turning with the short stem. And just in general.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 12:12 Quote
sam-hughes1 wrote:
can anyone advise me of the parts needed to convert my reign 2 to 1x11? cheers
Chainring, rear mech, cassette, chain, shifter, gear cable (if you're converting from 2x10)

If you have a shimano mech as o did you do not need to replace it. Just a longer b screw

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 12:14 Quote
ka81 wrote:
sam-hughes1 wrote:
what about chainline? Where to instal new chainring (instead of small or big 2x chainring)?
New crankset?
Do not need a new crank set. Use 104 BCD (the large one) on the inside, and spacers to move the ring in a little bit

Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 12:49 Quote
Gasket-Jeff wrote:
sam-hughes1 wrote:

If you have a shimano mech as o did you do not need to replace it. Just a longer b screw
I've got 2x10 with xtr rd-m986-SGS 10 speed rear der. and SL-M980-B-I shifter. Will it work for 1x11?

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 15:35 Quote
What effect on handling would moving some headset spacers from the bottom of the stem to the top?. Would this help the front end from wondering on steep climbs?. Has anyone tried this?

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2017 at 15:47 Quote
ashfuel wrote:
What effect on handling would moving some headset spacers from the bottom of the stem to the top?. Would this help the front end from wondering on steep climbs?. Has anyone tried this?

I havent lowered my stem yet, but I slid my seat all the way forward and tilted it slightly down and I felt like that helped a ton.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018675
Mobile Version of Website