2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2017 at 16:21 Quote
tricyclerider wrote:
Kaulin wrote:
mc2 wrote:

Thanks, what is the base tune on the monarch plus itself (usually written on the air can) is it LL MM or HH (or some other combination)? I think I read somewhere earlier on this thread about reigns having a high leverage ratio but not sure which way that means you should go with the base tune?

Cheers
95kg kitted and 500 lb spring? I am 80kg naked and I think 500 is way too soft. Ordered 550 and 600 springs but not tested yet. Now I have broken collarbone so maybe testing those in august or smthng...
I have also RS Monarch Debonair rt3 and it is custom tuned (for enduro and more progressive) . Now I have 3 bands inside and I cant get same feeling what Vivid coil gives me. Vivid is like more planted on the ground. Pedaling uphill is one fking pain in the... Will try 4 or 5 bands, but I doubt that. Maybe Fox X2 is The Answer (thats also in my storege shelf)
For pure DH Prowess i dont think you can beat the coil. Im About 75Kg or so and I run a 450. I use all my travel on big drops forsure but through chunky terrain at speed the small bump is just about unbeatable with the coil. I have Heard many people especially the big guys say that the monarch just doesnt play well with the reign. I would recommend uping the spring weight before investing in another shock.

I just tried a coil for the first time. I have a Float X2 arriving next week but bought this just for a spare and to try it. I have to say to was pretty cool. I am 115kg ( 250lbs) and I ran a #700 coil. Ride was pretty good. float X2 is getting revived for my weight and we will see what that is like.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 10:39 Quote
Hey everyone,so my '16 reign 2 had been siting the last few months and the dropper became very slow so I put in a new cable and cleaned around the bottom of the post,after re installing it and pulling the cable taught and tightening the grub screw,the lever does nothing now and the seatpost won't stay down, any ideas?? It's ether too tight and won't move or is too loose and flaps around!
Any help is appreciated I googled it but didn't find my problem exactly

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
SeanOg wrote:
Hey everyone,so my '16 reign 2 had been siting the last few months and the dropper became very slow so I put in a new cable and cleaned around the bottom of the post,after re installing it and pulling the cable taught and tightening the grub screw,the lever does nothing now and the seatpost won't stay down, any ideas?? It's ether too tight and won't move or is too loose and flaps around!
This sounds like dead cartridge. Is it leaking?

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 12:21 Quote
PinkyBikes wrote:
SeanOg wrote:
This sounds like dead cartridge. Is it leaking?

Nope no leaks at all. Before I left her sitting it was working fine,but went somewhat dead then.

Posted: Jun 25, 2017 at 13:13 Quote
tricyclerider wrote:

I have Heard many people especially the big guys say that the monarch just doesnt play well with the reign.

So, everyReignowner, what is the best rear schock for Reign 27.5 ?
Just namw at least few favorites..

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 4:40 Quote
ka81 wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:

I have Heard many people especially the big guys say that the monarch just doesnt play well with the reign.

I'm 100kg kitted up. I'm happy with the Monarch +. My mechanic set it up perfect for my riding style when I got it. I have not tried any other shock in the Reign, so can't comment further.

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 7:59 Quote
tricyclerider wrote:
Kaulin wrote:
mc2 wrote:

Thanks, what is the base tune on the monarch plus itself (usually written on the air can) is it LL MM or HH (or some other combination)? I think I read somewhere earlier on this thread about reigns having a high leverage ratio but not sure which way that means you should go with the base tune?

Cheers
95kg kitted and 500 lb spring? I am 80kg naked and I think 500 is way too soft. Ordered 550 and 600 springs but not tested yet. Now I have broken collarbone so maybe testing those in august or smthng...
I have also RS Monarch Debonair rt3 and it is custom tuned (for enduro and more progressive) . Now I have 3 bands inside and I cant get same feeling what Vivid coil gives me. Vivid is like more planted on the ground. Pedaling uphill is one fking pain in the... Will try 4 or 5 bands, but I doubt that. Maybe Fox X2 is The Answer (thats also in my storege shelf)
For pure DH Prowess i dont think you can beat the coil. Im About 75Kg or so and I run a 450. I use all my travel on big drops forsure but through chunky terrain at speed the small bump is just about unbeatable with the coil. I have Heard many people especially the big guys say that the monarch just doesnt play well with the reign. I would recommend uping the spring weight before investing in another shock.

Thanks for the advice, I tried a 550 and that felt a bit oversprung/bucking on faster jumps even with the rebound damping at maximum. Might give that another shot though, sounds like monarch plus might not be a very good option

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 12:50 Quote
mc2 wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:
Kaulin wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I tried a 550 and that felt a bit oversprung/bucking on faster jumps even with the rebound damping at maximum. Might give that another shot though, sounds like monarch plus might not be a very good option

Just going to throw my opinion out there for fun: I found that the Vivid excelled in dealing with large successive hits on pure dh tracks and the sensitivity once the shock wore in was incredible. Because of that, the grip off the top of the stroke was just insane. However, I found since day one that because the Reign was designed to have an overall linear characteristic throughout its stroke, the coil shock (also linear in nature) just blew through travel at my normal sag setting of 28% which was the limit before the bike started to not track the ground well and the initial stroke started feeling harsh. Since I kept encountering harsh bottom-outs I bought another spring and decreased the sag to about 23%. There I found that the bike used it's travel well and only occasionally could I feel it hit the absolute end of its stroke but since the rear was now so stiff in the initial part of its stroke, I had to set the front up the same way and ran my Pike with 4 tokens to match the initial and midstroke feel of the Vivid. Eventually I decided to try an air shock because I reasoned it would provide the ramp I needed while staying sensitive off the top. I decided to try a Monarch Plus and bought a used one off Pinkbike that used to be installed on a Reign. I mounted it up, went for a ride and was blown away at the Reign's change of personality. Compared to the Monarch, the Vivid just felt like a dead fish on the bike and I could finally set the bike up how I liked without the risk of slamming the thing every couple minutes. I sold the Vivid soon after and never looked back

In retrospect I think part of the problem could have been that the Vivid lacks a hsc adjuster which could have helped solve the problem but that's my experience with a coil shock

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 13:09 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:
mc2 wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:

Just going to throw my opinion out there for fun: I found that the Vivid excelled in dealing with large successive hits on pure dh tracks and the sensitivity once the shock wore in was incredible. Because of that, the grip off the top of the stroke was just insane. However, I found since day one that because the Reign was designed to have an overall linear characteristic throughout its stroke, the coil shock (also linear in nature) just blew through travel at my normal sag setting of 28% which was the limit before the bike started to not track the ground well and the initial stroke started feeling harsh. Since I kept encountering harsh bottom-outs I bought another spring and decreased the sag to about 23%. There I found that the bike used it's travel well and only occasionally could I feel it hit the absolute end of its stroke but since the rear was now so stiff in the initial part of its stroke, I had to set the front up the same way and ran my Pike with 4 tokens to match the initial and midstroke feel of the Vivid. Eventually I decided to try an air shock because I reasoned it would provide the ramp I needed while staying sensitive off the top. I decided to try a Monarch Plus and bought a used one off Pinkbike that used to be installed on a Reign. I mounted it up, went for a ride and was blown away at the Reign's change of personality. Compared to the Monarch, the Vivid just felt like a dead fish on the bike and I could finally set the bike up how I liked without the risk of slamming the thing every couple minutes. I sold the Vivid soon after and never looked back

In retrospect I think part of the problem could have been that the Vivid lacks a hsc adjuster which could have helped solve the problem but that's my experience with a coil shock

Super detailed review. Id say my inverse move resulted in the same satisfaction, and that i like the reign more now feeling like a dead fish (dhx2). My cornering has improved immensely with the coil and its added a boat load of confidence over the rough stuff. I think you get to a point where its different strokes for different folks.

Pun intended.

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 14:16 Quote
Eddkilla wrote:
mc2 wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:

Cheers to some solid and detailed feedback.

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 16:24 Quote
Bulldog61 wrote:
ka81 wrote:
tricyclerider wrote:

I'm 100kg kitted up. I'm happy with the Monarch +. My mechanic set it up perfect for my riding style when I got it. I have not tried any other shock in the Reign, so can't comment further.
vivid air

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2017 at 19:31 Quote
dhftw1231 wrote:
Bulldog61 wrote:
ka81 wrote:

vivid air
that would have been ideal but I have been having a hell of a time finding a vivid air in that size

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 1:10 Quote
Hi folks,

I would appreciate your comment and feedback on the following.

I have had some minor issues with my rear brake on my Reign since I bought it last autumn. I changed the brakes from stock deores to slx and didn't worry too much about the brake rub because I thought that they are in bedding in period.

Now that I have ridden more and the pads are worn out I realized that I seem to have a problem which is something more than simply misaligned caliper. I bled the brakes, reset the pistons but still the pads were rubbing against the rotor (which is perfectly true). I gave up at 2 AM and went to sleep. The next day I inspected the whole thing again in daylight only to learn that it was not me being a shitty mechanic (I worked with MTBs for like 15 years now) but one of the PM brake tabs is bent.

This is presented on the pictures below. As a result I cannot set the caliper to be centered against the rotor. The brake does not operate optimally (pistons do not work evenly) and pads will not wear optimally.

I suspect this to be a manufactuting defect. The whole element was not welded precise enough.

I want to file a complaint to Giant but I'm not sure if they will care and suspect that might be saying that it is the caliper problem or poor adjustment but it's obviously not

I appreciate your feedback.

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 1:13 Quote
renio wrote:
Hi folks,

I would appreciate your comment and feedback on the following.

I have had some minor issues with my rear brake on my Reign since I bought it last autumn. I changed the brakes from stock deores to slx and didn't worry too much about the brake rub because I thought that they are in bedding in period.

Now that I have ridden more and the pads are worn out I realized that I seem to have a problem which is something more than simply misaligned caliper. I bled the brakes, reset the pistons but still the pads were rubbing against the rotor (which is perfectly true). I gave up at 2 AM and went to sleep. The next day I inspected the whole thing again in daylight only to learn that it was not me being a shitty mechanic (I worked with MTBs for like 15 years now) but one of the PM brake tabs is bent.

This is presented on the pictures below. As a result I cannot set the caliper to be centered against the rotor. The brake does not operate optimally (pistons do not work evenly) and pads will not wear optimally.

I suspect this to be a manufactuting defect. The whole element was not welded precise enough.

I want to file a complaint to Giant but I'm not sure if they will care and suspect that might be saying that it is the caliper problem or poor adjustment but it's obviously not

I appreciate your feedback.

photo

photo
Submit it for warranty, I've seen that before, there's a miss aligned jig at the factory or something.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015506
Mobile Version of Website