2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Author Message
Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 1:18 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
renio wrote:
Hi folks,

I would appreciate your comment and feedback on the following.

I have had some minor issues with my rear brake on my Reign since I bought it last autumn. I changed the brakes from stock deores to slx and didn't worry too much about the brake rub because I thought that they are in bedding in period.

Now that I have ridden more and the pads are worn out I realized that I seem to have a problem which is something more than simply misaligned caliper. I bled the brakes, reset the pistons but still the pads were rubbing against the rotor (which is perfectly true). I gave up at 2 AM and went to sleep. The next day I inspected the whole thing again in daylight only to learn that it was not me being a shitty mechanic (I worked with MTBs for like 15 years now) but one of the PM brake tabs is bent.

This is presented on the pictures below. As a result I cannot set the caliper to be centered against the rotor. The brake does not operate optimally (pistons do not work evenly) and pads will not wear optimally.

I suspect this to be a manufactuting defect. The whole element was not welded precise enough.

I want to file a complaint to Giant but I'm not sure if they will care and suspect that might be saying that it is the caliper problem or poor adjustment but it's obviously not


I appreciate your feedback.


Submit it for warranty, I've seen that before, there's a miss aligned jig at the factory or something.

Thanks a lot for the comment. So it seems that it is a known issue.
I was expecting just that. Something was out of alignment while they welded it or the whole part is crooked or something.

Anybody else has some information on such warranty claims and its result?

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 1:33 Quote
I would also like to install 203 mm rotor as I'm not happy with heat management but it would barely fit and would most probably rub the frame in corners. Again limited functionality and performance because of this defect.

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 2:37 Quote
renio wrote:
Hi folks,


I have had some minor issues with my rear brake on my Reign since I bought it last autumn.
that one - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/pl/reign-27dot5-2-ltd-2016 ?

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 2:52 Quote
ka81 wrote:
renio wrote:
Hi folks,


I have had some minor issues with my rear brake on my Reign since I bought it last autumn.
that one - https://www.giant-bicycles.com/pl/reign-27dot5-2-ltd-2016 ?

Exactly. Sorry for not specifying. It is Reign 2 LTD 2016

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 7:58 Quote
renio wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:
renio wrote:
Hi folks,

I would appreciate your comment and feedback on the following.

I have had some minor issues with my rear brake on my Reign since I bought it last autumn. I changed the brakes from stock deores to slx and didn't worry too much about the brake rub because I thought that they are in bedding in period.

Now that I have ridden more and the pads are worn out I realized that I seem to have a problem which is something more than simply misaligned caliper. I bled the brakes, reset the pistons but still the pads were rubbing against the rotor (which is perfectly true). I gave up at 2 AM and went to sleep. The next day I inspected the whole thing again in daylight only to learn that it was not me being a shitty mechanic (I worked with MTBs for like 15 years now) but one of the PM brake tabs is bent.

This is presented on the pictures below. As a result I cannot set the caliper to be centered against the rotor. The brake does not operate optimally (pistons do not work evenly) and pads will not wear optimally.

I suspect this to be a manufactuting defect. The whole element was not welded precise enough.

I want to file a complaint to Giant but I'm not sure if they will care and suspect that might be saying that it is the caliper problem or poor adjustment but it's obviously not


I appreciate your feedback.


Submit it for warranty, I've seen that before, there's a miss aligned jig at the factory or something.

Thanks a lot for the comment. So it seems that it is a known issue.
I was expecting just that. Something was out of alignment while they welded it or the whole part is crooked or something.

Anybody else has some information on such warranty claims and its result?
My 2015 reign had the same problem, But I got it aligned with a clamp making force in the opposite side of the bend, 2 years later I have no problems, also running saint brakes and it doesn't rub anymore in the disc

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 14:14 Quote
Have you done It yourself or was It repaired under warranty? I was thinking about It but
sińce It is made of aluminium It is a bit risky operation

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
renio wrote:
Have you done It yourself or was It repaired under warranty? I was thinking about It but
sińce It is made of aluminium It is a bit risky operation
Are you the original owner? If you are you will just get a new rear triangle. Just take it to your Giant dealer.

Posted: Jun 28, 2017 at 16:54 Quote
renio wrote:
Have you done It yourself or was It repaired under warranty? I was thinking about It but
sińce It is made of aluminium It is a bit risky operation
Did it by myself, if you prefer go to warranty then

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 7:03 Quote
Hey guys
I bought a new rear shock and I'm ready to install. Does anyone know what size allan key I need to remove to lower hardware on the existing shock? Hoping to avoid multiple trips to home depot! lol

Thanks

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 7:39 Quote
Rustyrake76 wrote:
Hey guys
I bought a new rear shock and I'm ready to install. Does anyone know what size allan key I need to remove to lower hardware on the existing shock? Hoping to avoid multiple trips to home depot! lol

Thanks

Can't remember off the top of my head, but it's certainly worth buying a set, nothing fancy is needed and they're always useful. 4,5 and 6mm are common with MTB's, and probably larger sizes for mounting hardware etc.

Personally I like to use T bars, but this would do the trick.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Allen-Long-Arm-Metric-Hex-Key-Set-9-Piece-56606G/205564270

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 7:48 Quote
Rustyrake76 wrote:
Hey guys
I bought a new rear shock and I'm ready to install. Does anyone know what size allan key I need to remove to lower hardware on the existing shock? Hoping to avoid multiple trips to home depot! lol

Thanks

Lower is an 8 and upper is 6. You will need a crescent wrench too.

But a set is a good investment for sure.

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 8:15 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
renio wrote:
Have you done It yourself or was It repaired under warranty? I was thinking about It but
sińce It is made of aluminium It is a bit risky operation
Are you the original owner? If you are you will just get a new rear triangle. Just take it to your Giant dealer.

Yes, I am. I wilk take It back to Giant and let them sort It out.
Thanks

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 10:24 Quote
Rmcfarland wrote:
Rustyrake76 wrote:
Hey guys
I bought a new rear shock and I'm ready to install. Does anyone know what size allan key I need to remove to lower hardware on the existing shock? Hoping to avoid multiple trips to home depot! lol

Thanks

Lower is an 8 and upper is 6. You will need a crescent wrench too.

But a set is a good investment for sure.

If you get the right size cone wrench you can get it so you dont have to pull the cranks to swap shocks. I forget the actual size.

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
mfoga wrote:
Rmcfarland wrote:
Rustyrake76 wrote:
Hey guys
I bought a new rear shock and I'm ready to install. Does anyone know what size allan key I need to remove to lower hardware on the existing shock? Hoping to avoid multiple trips to home depot! lol

Thanks

Lower is an 8 and upper is 6. You will need a crescent wrench too.

But a set is a good investment for sure.

If you get the right size cone wrench you can get it so you dont have to pull the cranks to swap shocks. I forget the actual size.

If it's the first time taking the bolt out cranks need off. Then put the bolt in the other way for future. Thats how mine came anway. (allen head on none drive side).

Posted: Jun 29, 2017 at 14:38 Quote
http://m.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/2017-Emerald-Enduro-EWS-Pit-Bits,11046/Josh-Carlsons-Prototype-Giant,115335/iceman2058,94


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018420
Mobile Version of Website