2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:03 Quote
Rmcfarland wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:
Just ordered a medium Reign 2 2017! I haven't had a bike in about 5 years and my first fully too. Got an absolute steal at £1999 from Tredz.

edit. How bad are the Hans Dampfs on roots/rocks like you'd find at Coed y Brenin? Heading there for a weekend in a few weeks and don't want to die haha!

The hans is okay as a rear tire but id be getting a new front tire asap

I was thinking the same... any recommendations? Was thinking Magic Mary?

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:23 Quote
Rmcfarland wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:
Just ordered a medium Reign 2 2017! I haven't had a bike in about 5 years and my first fully too. Got an absolute steal at £1999 from Tredz.

edit. How bad are the Hans Dampfs on roots/rocks like you'd find at Coed y Brenin? Heading there for a weekend in a few weeks and don't want to die haha!

Couldnt agree more. The Hans has no buisness as a front tire (imo). Magic mary is a solid front tire but I prefer maxxis...HRII or Minion on the front.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:32 Quote
I think the main problem with the Hans dampfs was the compound. "Performance" is actually the opposite of that, and they would probably have been fine in one of the soft compound versions. But yes, they are terrible as-is especially in the front. I was actually afraid I'd made a mistake buying the bike in terms of how it was handling until I switched the tires.

From what I've heard, magic Mary is a good front choice in the soft compounds. I'm just partial to Maxxis because I've had good luck with them in the past.

Do like the dhf/hr2 combo. Hr2 is maybe a bit slow, but the braking is unreal. Would also like to try a dhr2 in the back. Cornering and blasting through awkward rocky rooty section grip is fantastic.

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:40 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
Rmcfarland wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:

Couldnt agree more. The Hans has no buisness as a front tire (imo). Magic mary is a solid front tire but I prefer maxxis...HRII or Minion on the front.

Thanks for your help, just ordered a Magic Mary in the Snakeskin/trailstar compound based on a few reviews and the fact my OCD wont allow me to have tyres from different brands lol

Firehawk989 wrote:
I think the main problem with the Hans dampfs was the compound. "Performance" is actually the opposite of that, and they would probably have been fine in one of the soft compound versions. But yes, they are terrible as-is especially in the front. I was actually afraid I'd made a mistake buying the bike in terms of how it was handling until I switched the tires.

From what I've heard, magic Mary is a good front choice in the soft compounds. I'm just partial to Maxxis because I've had good luck with them in the past.

Do like the dhf/hr2 combo. Hr2 is maybe a bit slow, but the braking is unreal. Would also like to try a dhr2 in the back. Cornering and blasting through awkward rocky rooty section grip is fantastic.

Very keen to try out the dhf/hr2 combo once this first set have worn out, looks like a sweet combo for wet/rainy england

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 15:08 Quote
Firehawk989 wrote:

I can highly recommend the MM/HD combo unless you ride in side wall slashing country. I am currenty running Minion DHF EXO TR 3C 2.3 front and DHR2 EXO TR 3C 2.3 rear both maxxterra. Fantastic grippy combo and rolls suprisingly fast (I roll when some others I have rode with lately have to peda)l. 3C on rear wears quickly though. Will run the Minions 3C f/r again even though I will only get 3 months use out of the rear DHR2, the grip/control/braking power is well worth it. Would like to try the 2.5/2.4 combo maybe next time.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 18:08 Quote
Can anyone tell me the maximum amount of volume spacers you can put in the monarch+?

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 19:25 Quote
murrdogg wrote:
Can anyone tell me the maximum amount of volume spacers you can put in the monarch+?

Eight or even nine if you squeeze it in, wouldn't recommend it though

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 22:02 Quote
I've had my reign since April now, it's my first adventure into Enduro after 20 years riding trials, Love this bike and i've done quite a few updates from the factory build. I made a little bike check video for anyone interested Smile

]

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 22:43 Quote
Awesome Patrick! I subbed to your YT channel.

Here's my still stock ADV 0
2016 Giant Reign Advanced 0

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 3:00 Quote
Thanks Smile really nice bike!

B20PV wrote:
Awesome Patrick! I subbed to your YT channel.

Here's my still stock ADV 0
2016 Giant Reign Advanced 0

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 10:20 Quote
My 2017 Reign Advanced 1 is making a cracking noise from the front end when I get on the front brake hard or hit multiple mid sized bumps while riding. It usually won't do this until about 5 minutes into the ride. I'm hoping it is just the forks CSU but I am worried it's the actuall headtube of the frame or the headset cups. All headset bearings are still perfect and I can't see any cracks in the frame. Anyone else experience this? I can actually feel I through my grips when it makes this noise so that is why I'm a bit concerned. Also so far no nasty crashes on this bike yet.

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 12:08 Quote
Anyone know the tightening torque for the rear triangle pivots?

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 12:46 Quote
Ironyyyy wrote:
Anyone know the tightening torque for the rear triangle pivots?

Thanks!

What year frame? Help us help you.

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 14:17 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
My 2017 Reign Advanced 1 is making a cracking noise from the front end when I get on the front brake hard or hit multiple mid sized bumps while riding. It usually won't do this until about 5 minutes into the ride. I'm hoping it is just the forks CSU but I am worried it's the actuall headtube of the frame or the headset cups. All headset bearings are still perfect and I can't see any cracks in the frame. Anyone else experience this? I can actually feel I through my grips when it makes this noise so that is why I'm a bit concerned. Also so far no nasty crashes on this bike yet.

Could be the cables inside the frame. Give them a tug and see if this makes a difference.

Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 14:29 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:

Did you check your front brakes? Rotor bolts, caliper bolts and the long bolt that secures the brake pads.

If those are all good, double check your headset bearing preload. It is extremely unlikely that there is a crack in the frame but IF the headtube is cracked, luckily Giant is fast with warranty replacement through a shop. However, if the bike is brand new and you havent had any bad spills it would be very very unlikely that there is a frame defect.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013359
Mobile Version of Website