2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 12:17 Quote
Medicfung wrote:
hey guys, looking to replace my wheels with a pair of light bicycle rims, the 733 series with onyx hubs. what is the widest rim that will fit the rear triangle, like can these new wide trail tires fit with 40mm outer diameter rims in the rear triangle without touching and dragging? anyone else out there that has swapped to carbon wheels, and can input the dimensions they ran with?
thanks in advance

I'm running 35 internal asym Rims and know of a few others running the same in carbon without any issue.

Rim width isn't an issue at all.

Posted: Oct 10, 2017 at 12:45 Quote
Medicfung wrote:
hey guys, looking to replace my wheels with a pair of light bicycle rims, the 733 series with onyx hubs. what is the widest rim that will fit the rear triangle, like can these new wide trail tires fit with 40mm outer diameter rims in the rear triangle without touching and dragging? anyone else out there that has swapped to carbon wheels, and can input the dimensions they ran with?
thanks in advance

I have Easton ARC40 (40mm internal) and did not have any problems with Magic Mary 2.5, both front and rear (Fox 36 with mud guard).

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 0:17 Quote
xviggenx wrote:
philo-bedo wrote:
cptmayhem wrote:

Yes. Normal dimensions. Giant scrapped their stupid oversized standard before the reign

Thanks for the input guys. I have a set of 780 31.8 bars in my possession so just searching for a stem. Not sure if i should go for a 50mm as a direct replacement for the truitiv 50mm thats on the bike now or go shorter. I feel pretty comfortable with the current reach so not sure if going shorter would be a good idea
I have a 35mm stem paired with my 800mm bars on my Reign SX, sure I have an ever slacker head angle than the regular Reign. Spiced up the steering a lot and helped with getting a good feel on the bike for sure.

And as have been pointed out bu others, you could always go back to a 50mm stem and just chop down the bars/swap them for a narrower pair, but I doubt you will once you've tried a wider/shorter cockpit. #onceyougowideshortyoudon'tgoback

i had 800 bars on the bike when it came in to my possession and now have the 780 renthals on and i like the slightly narrower feel. its more the shorter reach that i am a bit worried about if i were to go for a 30mm apex stem. i understand the impact of a shorter stem on the steering performance but its just the tighter fit with a short stem that concerns me

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 1:41 Quote
philo-bedo wrote:
xviggenx wrote:
philo-bedo wrote:

Thanks for the input guys. I have a set of 780 31.8 bars in my possession so just searching for a stem. Not sure if i should go for a 50mm as a direct replacement for the truitiv 50mm thats on the bike now or go shorter. I feel pretty comfortable with the current reach so not sure if going shorter would be a good idea
I have a 35mm stem paired with my 800mm bars on my Reign SX, sure I have an ever slacker head angle than the regular Reign. Spiced up the steering a lot and helped with getting a good feel on the bike for sure.

And as have been pointed out bu others, you could always go back to a 50mm stem and just chop down the bars/swap them for a narrower pair, but I doubt you will once you've tried a wider/shorter cockpit. #onceyougowideshortyoudon'tgoback

i had 800 bars on the bike when it came in to my possession and now have the 780 renthals on and i like the slightly narrower feel. its more the shorter reach that i am a bit worried about if i were to go for a 30mm apex stem. i understand the impact of a shorter stem on the steering performance but its just the tighter fit with a short stem that concerns me

Your effective reach is already a bit shorter thanks to the more normal sweep angle of the Renthal bars - 7 deg vs 5 deg. Makes a big difference at the grips.

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 7:29 Quote
All this bar/stem talk leads me to ask....

What size frame and how tall are you? How wide are your shoulders? It’s easy for us to suggest sizes but without knowing the way you’re built, recommendations are nothing but our own preferences.

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 7:48 Quote
Kenfire24 wrote:

What size frame and how tall are you? How wide are your shoulders? It’s easy for us to suggest sizes but without knowing the way you’re built, recommendations are nothing but our own preferences.

HI kenfire. Have you guys received the carbon versions in the states yet? I'm still waiting.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 8:33 Quote
Kenfire24 wrote:

What is PB, must got as short on stem as possible, wide as possible on bars lol.

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 10:43 Quote
machchicken wrote:
Kenfire24 wrote:

HI kenfire. Have you guys received the carbon versions in the states yet? I'm still waiting.

According to Giant there are some retailers within a hundred or so miles (160km give or take) of me that have the ‘18 advanced 1 in-stock. All sizes besides the x-large should be shipping out in the states. I would imagine they have to be getting super close to shipping in Canada. I’m surprised they aren’t already to be honest.

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 13:08 Quote
Kenfire24 wrote:

186 proper length units tall with narrowish shoulders at around ~50 proper length units, on a L frame.
Also owner of a pair of positive ape-index arms.

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 14:31 Quote
R2 2016, Monarch+ RC3 on the rear. 93 kg, Setup update for those interested:

Previous setup: 260 psi with 4 bands. Liked the setup a lot, used trail mode or climb mode, descend was too soft and bouncy, trail mode does not sacrifice so much bump compliance but provides a lot more chassis control.

Current setup: 260 psi with 6 bands. I think it may be a little too much, don't know yet. Hardly ever use full travel now, and trail mode feels a little too locked, been switching between trail mode and descend mode and I am unsure which is best, but having a good time testing the different options.

Maybe I will go back to 4 once DH season is more over (have a separate DH bike) and I ride the Reign only, to compare back 2 back and see which option feels better overall.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 22:11 Quote
Kenfire24 wrote:

I am 183cm tall/90kg and on a large frame. medium build, average width shoulders i guess. I climb a lot given the nature of the local geography and tight switchbacks are common occurrence. So i am unsure about shortening the cockpit that might have a detrimental effect on technical up hill perhaps. Everyones thoughts and opinions are gratefully accepted

Posted: Oct 11, 2017 at 23:02 Quote
i put a different bar (785mm,8degree sweep) and 35mm stem on my Large Reign and have found it to be Slightly worse on climbs...mostly the long fire road types, tech stuff its in some ways better

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 1:10 Quote
Climbing ability depends on bars height. Put a few rings above the stem and you will notice the difference.
Don't really feel the difference between 40 and 50 stem in climbing. I thought it would be worse.

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 1:55 Quote
sayrius wrote:
Climbing ability depends on bars height. Put a few rings above the stem and you will notice the difference.
Don't really feel the difference between 40 and 50 stem in climbing. I thought it would be worse.

i would have to get a really think ring to slam it right down,i currently have two above two below.

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 2:27 Quote
my stem is as high up on the steerer tube as it can go. bars are 20mm rise. i do feel like i am looking down to much while riding, not sure if a shorter stem would bring my hands closer in to body this lifting my upper body up naturally and helping with head position looking up more betterer?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015604
Mobile Version of Website