2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 4:58 Quote
A small update, threw on a Hillbilly Grid up front for autumn and ditches the HD in the rear and moved my MM to the back. Some more purple Hope stuff on the way from the UK: Tech 3 E4 brakes with braided cables.
photo

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 5:40 Quote
philo-bedo wrote:
my stem is as high up on the steerer tube as it can go. bars are 20mm rise. i do feel like i am looking down to much while riding, not sure if a shorter stem would bring my hands closer in to body this lifting my upper body up naturally and helping with head position looking up more betterer?

You said previously that the reach feels pretty good the way you have it set. At 183cm/6ft tall, bar with is less of an issue than if you were of shorter stature, as you can get away with a wider grip. However, if you're already feeling tat you are looking down too much, I would personally not change the cockpit anymore. If you’re comfortable, try and focus more on body position, keeping your core tight and conciously looking further down the trail.

Posted: Oct 12, 2017 at 9:10 Quote
sayrius wrote:
Climbing ability depends on bars height. Put a few rings above the stem and you will notice the difference.
Don't really feel the difference between 40 and 50 stem in climbing. I thought it would be worse.
Just to really muddy the waters I found the complete opposite lol. Short cockpit with low bars equalled the slowest times on my local climb. Just chalk it up to individual preferences I suppose.

Making the cockpit longer made a dramatic difference on how fast I did my local climb, combined with a somewhat taller cockpit.

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 at 0:10 Quote
180 on the nose, 105kg on a large '15 advanced 1. 35mm Spank Spike stem, 800mm Spank Spike Race bars w 40mm rise. Bars currently as low as they can go. Wanted to give a bit more reach than I had with the flatter bars at the top of the steerer tube. Reckon I've gained about 10mm - 15mm reach over the last setup (slammed riser bars are further forward than flat bars with loads of spacers below)

180mm marzo 66 RC3 (coil) and a de-debonered M Plus RC3 (swapped debonair air can for standard volume air can)

Climbs as well as I can push her. Extra weight on the front thanks to the marzo (3.2kg - EEK!) is actually BETTER for climbing, can you believe it. Also MUCH better for descending 'cos Marzo.

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 at 0:11 Quote
xviggenx wrote:
A small update, threw on a Hillbilly Grid up front for autumn and ditches the HD in the rear and moved my MM to the back. Some more purple Hope stuff on the way from the UK: Tech 3 E4 brakes with braided cables.
photo

Let us know how that Hillbilly feels! Really interested in that tire.

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 at 2:23 Quote
I'll do! Don't have much else to compare with to be honest, the MM/HD combo in supergravity casing is pretty much a year round combo here in Åre. But It's hard not to buy the Big S tyres when I have a 15% discount on their already low prices over counter compared to say Maxxis and Schwalbe.

It looks a lot like the Shorty/Dirty Dan, nice open thread pattern which should shed mud and keep good steering in the wet/muck. Felt significally lighter than the MM SG I moved to the rear, at 965 grams it's pretty light for a sturdier casing. Supposed to have a really low rolling resistance as well, think the new Gripton compound plays in (same guy that developed the Black Chili compound for Conti and also all the Addix compounds for Schwalbe!). Enduro-mtb (german/english) magazine just released a pretty big test in which it got their "best value" award, second behind Maxxis Minion DHR II. And with Maxxis around 80-90$ over counter in Sweden the 40$ Hillbilly is a no-brainer!

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2017 at 0:13 Quote
Kenfire24 wrote:
philo-bedo wrote:
my stem is as high up on the steerer tube as it can go. bars are 20mm rise. i do feel like i am looking down to much while riding, not sure if a shorter stem would bring my hands closer in to body this lifting my upper body up naturally and helping with head position looking up more betterer?

You said previously that the reach feels pretty good the way you have it set. At 183cm/6ft tall, bar with is less of an issue than if you were of shorter stature, as you can get away with a wider grip. However, if you're already feeling tat you are looking down too much, I would personally not change the cockpit anymore. If you’re comfortable, try and focus more on body position, keeping your core tight and conciously looking further down the trail.

Yeah that sounds like wise advice. I defiantly feel more in control when my head/eye line is up and its gonna be a physiological modification more so than a material mod to keep that working lol.

Thanks for everyones input on this, much appreciated

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 5:47 Quote
---------------------------------------

is ot ok that there is a wide gap between left pivot (blue arrow) and no gap at all where the red arrow?

photo

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 6:47 Quote
ka81 wrote:

is ot ok that there is a wide gap between left pivot (blue arrow) and no gap at all where the red arrow?

photo

I think so:
"Lower suspension rockers are offset to the left to provide a stiffer, wider stance for the bearings and axle, and also to clear space for a phantom front derailleur which will most likely, never be fitted to a Reign 27.5 1."
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/giant-reign-275-1-reviewed.html

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 12:17 Quote
ka81 wrote:

photo

No. It does curve in slightly, but not nearly that much. That looks bent. Or out of shape

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 12:23 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:

No. It does curve in slightly, but not nearly that much. That looks bent. Or out of shape
It's not in horizontal position on photo, it's turned for 80°. When this (right) povot in normal horizontal position it doesn't touch seat tube.

Posted: Oct 16, 2017 at 13:39 Quote
ka81 wrote:
cptmayhem wrote:

It's not in horizontal position on photo, it's turned for 80°. When this (right) povot in normal horizontal position it doesn't touch seat tube.

Okay well then that's fine.

Posted: Oct 17, 2017 at 7:52 Quote
Owners of Reign 2 2016, has anyone installed succesfully Fox Racing Shox Float X2 EVOL 2POS Factory Modell 2018 on bike?
Were there any problems? I mean lower links (or hose holder on link) didn't mess up with air can?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015173
Mobile Version of Website