2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 5:27 Quote
PeaFunk wrote:
Hi guys,

i destroyed the threads on my cranks on my 2017 reign. So I have to get new cranks. Are these correct or do I have to get B (Boost) version? https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/FC-M7000-11-1-SLX-Hollowtech-II-Cranks-p49988/

Thanks.

Those cranks will work, but if you have a SRAM crankset you will need to change out your bottom bracket as well. None of the 2017 giant reign midels are boost spacing

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 6:36 Quote
PeaFunk wrote:
Hi guys,

i destroyed the threads on my cranks on my 2017 reign. So I have to get new cranks. Are these correct or do I have to get B (Boost) version? https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/FC-M7000-11-1-SLX-Hollowtech-II-Cranks-p49988/

Thanks.
2017 Reign is not boost.

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 10:21 Quote
been a very long time since I have been on here.

I need to replace the rear shock on my 2015 Reign. Now I am tossing up between a Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil Climb Switch CS, a Vivid Kage RC, or a Cane Creek DOUBLE BARREL AIR CS.
What would people recommend?

Also What is involved in removing the front derailer to go go 1x11 with an extender ring on the rear?

Cheers KB

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 11:19 Quote
karlb07 wrote:
been a very long time since I have been on here.

I need to replace the rear shock on my 2015 Reign. Now I am tossing up between a Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil Climb Switch CS, a Vivid Kage RC, or a Cane Creek DOUBLE BARREL AIR CS.
What would people recommend?

Also What is involved in removing the front derailer to go go 1x11 with an extender ring on the rear?

Cheers KB

I've been told the Kage is awful, better off getting a vivid - that's what i'll be upgrading to as soon as funds allow.

Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil Climb Switch CS is supposed to be awesome too.

Whichever you choose stick with coil

Posted: Jan 4, 2018 at 11:52 Quote
With the leverage ratio of the 2015-2017 Reign, coil is only an option if you can ignore the loss of small bump sensitivity, added weight & ease of setting the right spring rate. You can't tune small bump & still hope it ramps up hard enough for the bigger hits unless you have a damper tune specific to your riding style & terrain.

I get why a coil is awesome, my current bike has a coil & it feels so planted & all that. It's not an "old Reign 1 2015" though & the leverage ratio is a little bit better suited to a coil.

If your light enough to not blow up an X2 packed with volume spacers then that or a Vivid would be better suited to it.

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 9:58 Quote
Schummy wrote:
With the leverage ratio of the 2015-2017 Reign, coil is only an option if you can ignore the loss of small bump sensitivity, added weight & ease of setting the right spring rate. You can't tune small bump & still hope it ramps up hard enough for the bigger hits unless you have a damper tune specific to your riding style & terrain.

I get why a coil is awesome, my current bike has a coil & it feels so planted & all that. It's not an "old Reign 1 2015" though & the leverage ratio is a little bit better suited to a coil.

If your light enough to not blow up an X2 packed with volume spacers then that or a Vivid would be better suited to it.

My ’17 Reign SX comes stock with Fox DHX2 that feels awesome. When checking shock ID on Fox webpage it turned out it is a firm tune. Perhaps that is the solution for this leverage ratio.

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 10:45 Quote
endor wrote:
Schummy wrote:

My ’17 Reign SX comes stock with Fox DHX2 that feels awesome. When checking shock ID on Fox webpage it turned out it is a firm tune. Perhaps that is the solution for this leverage ratio.
Firm Compression & firm Rebound?

Posted: Jan 5, 2018 at 12:03 Quote
I've a ccdb coil on mine. Small bump is spot on. Rides so much better than the standard air shock. Had to pump it to max psi to stop blowing through the travel. Only regret I have is I never went for the climb switch.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 1:31 Quote
Right a wee while ago I spoke about taking the paint off my reign(s).
So I have a carbon reign and an alloy reign frame. My plan is that I'm going to strip the paint off the alloy frame then swap all the parts onto it once it is polished or lacquered (not figured that out yet) then remove the paint from the carbon frame while I ride the alloy one.
Hope that makes sense.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 1:34 Quote
So to remove the paint from the frames I actually contacted a chap called dangerholm for advice (mostly about the carbon frame). He was the guy who made the lightweight scott xc frames in bare carbon on here. So he said to scrape the paint off with a knife then sand it back after the bulk of te paint was off. So I did a bit of practice for the carbon frame using the alloy frame.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 1:40 Quote
so I scraped and then took some extra off with a sander. I will now use nitromors on it to save time but it was good practice for the carbon strip down.

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 2:06 Quote
You didn't remove bearings, cups, bb??

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2018 at 2:13 Quote
ka81 wrote:
You didn't remove bearings, cups, bb??

The bearings that are still in are the bb and the two lower linkage bearings. They will both come out today and the bb chucked in the bin. Headset is already out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019457
Mobile Version of Website