2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 11:11 Quote
ka81 wrote:
tobes27 wrote:
I’m an idiot and left my crown race on my fork when I sold it. Anyone know which one marries up with the FSA headset on the 2017 Reign Advanced 1? I’ve tried contacting both Giant and FSA, neither was very helpful.

http://www.jensonusa.com/FSA-15-Steel-ZS-Crown-Race

Thank you!

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 0:25 Quote
sayrius wrote:
Has anybody ran dual-position fork on their reign? Lyrik 180-150 for ex. How does it perform when lowered? Does it feel slygish on max travel?

I run a 2014 DP pike on my 2016 advanced. Veeeeeery rarely use it on anything other than the steepest climbs, but when I have I've found it useful for keeping the front end down - it only really saves me from having to get into an extreme climbing position tho, so if you're happy doing that whenever it's required I wouldn't bother opting for it over a standard pike.

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 5:05 Quote
Have been following this thread for a while but this is my first post here on PB.

Have had a 2017 Reign 1 for a few months now, great bike.

Only problem I have noticed is that rocks like to get stuck in the gap between the rear triangle and the lower maestro linkage. The movement of the suspension means it crushes all the rocks and chews up the paint down there.

Was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there are any solutions to prevent this? Have tried clear gorilla tape to protect the paint but it doesn't really work.

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 9:38 Quote
AD4M wrote:
Have been following this thread for a while but this is my first post here on PB.

Have had a 2017 Reign 1 for a few months now, great bike.

Only problem I have noticed is that rocks like to get stuck in the gap between the rear triangle and the lower maestro linkage. The movement of the suspension means it crushes all the rocks and chews up the paint down there.

Was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there are any solutions to prevent this? Have tried clear gorilla tape to protect the paint but it doesn't really work.

This has always annoyed me with my reign, I’ve considered trying pieces of rubber mastic tape on either side but am yet to get hold of any

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 10:16 Quote
sayrius wrote:
Has anybody ran dual-position fork on their reign? Lyrik 180-150 for ex. How does it perform when lowered? Does it feel slygish on max travel?

One thing I've (very slowly) learned about this forum is just how different our needs are -look at the wide range of tire opinions for evidence. The dual position thing is definitely trail dependant.

Locally I've got a half hour slog up a mixed 22% grade concrete slab and then more climbing up lung bursting single track. Been years on this same trail with many different forks. Without a dual position fork there's sections I have to get off and walk.

For a mild grade fire or logging road, while it will still drop your front and steepen up the head angle and seat angle, you'd hardly miss it if you didn't have it. More of a luxury item.

They descend basically identically. It uses the same cartridge.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 18:46 Quote
was staring at my bike the other day, wishing I could be out riding and I got to daydreaming about custom parts. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried, or considered an aftermarket rocker/linkage that would allow for a taller shock option in the Reign? Given how short the stroke is on the 200x57, surely it would benefit from something longer, and I can picture a sleek aftermarket unit that would move the top eyelet forward a wee bit. What I can't picture is just how much that would alter the progressiveness of the suspension or in fact any actual details about how it could perform!

good idea? bad idea? has anyone ever been in market offering alterations like this for standard bikes?

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 5:19 Quote
Hi,
Did anyone compared the new vs former Reign (Alloy), in terms of pedaling. I'm pretty sure the new Reign is as good as the old downhill, but did it improve for uphills ? That's my problem with my Reign : it's quite sluggish in climbs. So I'd like to change bike this year and I'm hesitating between the new Reign and the Trance

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 6:41 Quote
Whipperman wrote:
Hi,
Did anyone compared the new vs former Reign (Alloy), in terms of pedaling. I'm pretty sure the new Reign is as good as the old downhill, but did it improve for uphills ? That's my problem with my Reign : it's quite sluggish in climbs. So I'd like to change bike this year and I'm hesitating between the new Reign and the Trance

It's suggish due to slack HA and STA. The new one share the same angles plus increased reach, so the front wheel grip on steep climbs will be even worse. But giant claims that new lincage design helps to ride higher on it's travel, and keep the actual HA and STA stepper.

You can see that anti-squat remains the same http://linkagedesign.blogspot.ru/2017/11/giant-reign-275-2018.html

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 12:31 Quote
The new linkage makes the new reign pedal much better. Also the dpx2 fox shock makes it miles better, other models have lockouts on the shocks so better still. It sits and rides way higher while staying plush. It feels very different compared to friends 2016/17 reigns. Standing up or sitting down it is a better pedalling bike... thats not to say there are not better pedalling bikes out there....apples to apples...reign to reign it is a better pedaller.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 22:23 Quote
I just changed my air cylinder in my yari for to go from the stock 160mm to 180mm, haven't ridden it yet as I had ankle surgery 2 days later.
Just wondering it anyone else has done this and how did you like it? I've got a while before I'll find out.

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 6:35 Quote
I just put a Lyrik without Giant’s goofy, long offset on my bike. The difference is pretty striking- much more stable through chunky roots at high speeds. If you can afford a new fork I’d definitely recommend it. (Also RS makes a much better fork than Fox right now, 36 was like a pogo stick that went straight to bottom on fast, rough trails)
photo

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 9:48 Quote
But Lyrik is 180mm and before a 160mm was installed right? This should also make it more stable

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 16:30 Quote
MariusW wrote:
But Lyrik is 180mm and before a 160mm was installed right? This should also make it more stable

This one is 160mm

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 21:28 Quote
tobes27 wrote:
I just put a Lyrik without Giant’s goofy, long offset on my bike. The difference is pretty striking- much more stable through chunky roots at high speeds. If you can afford a new fork I’d definitely recommend it. (Also RS makes a much better fork than Fox right now, 36 was like a pogo stick that went straight to bottom on fast, rough trails)
photo

SICK looking bike bro!

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 23:52 Quote
Anyone running a topaz on their reign. Looking for something new and the reviews on these look good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018296
Mobile Version of Website