2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 8:54 Quote
Hi,
Has anybody with a 2015, 2016 or 2017 model experienced large amounts of play in the rear end of their reign? It appears to come from the upper linkage plates, where they bolt to the front triangle. Fitted brand new linkage plates though and the issue isn't solved. I am thinking that it is possibly the tabs on the front triangle that are worn.
Any people had the same issue? Any ideas?

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 12:11 Quote
DB03 wrote:
Hi,
Has anybody with a 2015, 2016 or 2017 model experienced large amounts of play in the rear end of their reign? It appears to come from the upper linkage plates, where they bolt to the front triangle. Fitted brand new linkage plates though and the issue isn't solved. I am thinking that it is possibly the tabs on the front triangle that are worn.

I had the same issue, replaced all the linkage bearings with enduro max bearings and the problem was solved

Posted: Apr 7, 2018 at 1:03 Quote
Little Vlog putting my reign through it's trials paces here in HCMC I only have the reign here with in Vietnam so I need to use it for trials to Big Grin

Posted: Apr 7, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
GeorgeAlbery wrote:
DB03 wrote:
Hi,

I had the same issue, replaced all the linkage bearings with enduro max bearings and the problem was solved

And as above, max enduro bearing sorted this out for me too.

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 7:04 Quote
Thinking about changing the Monarch Air Shock to a RS Kage RC. Should I still go with a M/M Tune or change to something different? Weigth is 78kg with all bike clothes

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 10:31 Quote
MariusW wrote:
Thinking about changing the Monarch Air Shock to a RS Kage RC. Should I still go with a M/M Tune or change to something different? Weigth is 78kg with all bike clothes

I've been told the Kage is a very bad coil shock. Get a vivid coil.

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 11:32 Quote
HarryStenner94 wrote:
MariusW wrote:

Definitely stick with the MM tune. The Kage isn't available aftermarket, it's OEM only. I picked up a vivid coil and it definitely changes the character of the bike. As far as a kage being a "bad" coil shock, I haven't heard that. It is less adjustable than the vivid, and would be specced on lower end bikes than a vivid so that could be some of the issues.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 11:46 Quote
Greenday9261 wrote:
HarryStenner94 wrote:
MariusW wrote:

Definitely stick with the MM tune. The Kage isn't available aftermarket, it's OEM only. I picked up a vivid coil and it definitely changes the character of the bike. As far as a kage being a "bad" coil shock, I haven't heard that. It is less adjustable than the vivid, and would be specced on lower end bikes than a vivid so that could be some of the issues.
Used to run a vivid when I still had my reign 10/10 would recommend it made that thing bad A$$

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 15:33 Quote
ka81 wrote:
cunniff81 wrote:
I think it's a 40X8 on top?
803-03-189
8mm x 39.88mm

Cheers

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 21:17 Quote
Can buy the Kage here for 150CHF while the Vivid is close to 300CHF - as I don`t know for 100% sure, if I will stick to coil, 300 is a bit too much.
Thanks for your help

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 4:05 Quote
The Kage is not a bad shock. It is heavier than the vivid and doesn't have as many external adjustments but it actually works very well. It is great for a DH bike.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 9:19 Quote
MariusW wrote:
Can buy the Kage here for 150CHF while the Vivid is close to 300CHF - as I don`t know for 100% sure, if I will stick to coil, 300 is a bit too much.
Thanks for your help

Once you've tried a coil and got it set up correct there is no way you are going back to air.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 12:36 Quote
HobNob wrote:
Zip tie trick - it's what i've always done & it always works.

There is a harder, better solution - when building the bike, slide catapault rubber tubing over the cable outers for the bits that live inside the frame.

So, once you put the ziptie on the cable you can still fit it through the hole in the down tube?

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 18:52 Quote
Question for those of you posting about coil shocks: How exactly does it change the behavior of the bike? I'm fairly happy with the Float X2 that came on my bike, but it only holds 2 or 3 of the air volume reducers and I'd like to be able to drop a little pressure to make it more supple on small chatter and braking bumps for racing at Whistler. However I also like a progressive mid and end stroke for getting boosty. Will the coil shock make it feel linear and "dead" like a DH bike?

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 0:39 Quote
trentpaulk wrote:
HobNob wrote:
Zip tie trick - it's what i've always done & it always works.

There is a harder, better solution - when building the bike, slide catapault rubber tubing over the cable outers for the bits that live inside the frame.

So, once you put the ziptie on the cable you can still fit it through the hole in the down tube?

If you take the grommet out first, and tie the zip-tie on the hole side of the grommet, yes. That hole is reasonably large

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017036
Mobile Version of Website