2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
O+
Posted: Aug 6, 2018 at 8:20 Quote
I have a 2017 Reign with DT Swiss 370 hubs. The rear hub has drag when axle is tightened, loosen axle and wheel spins freely. Hub hardly has any hours on it. The previous hub did the same thing. I can't imagine the bearing being bad as they feel smooth. Any ideas?

Posted: Aug 6, 2018 at 13:24 Quote
You sure it isn't the rotor rubbing?

Posted: Aug 6, 2018 at 15:35 Quote
lanham wrote:
I have a 2017 Reign with DT Swiss 370 hubs. The rear hub has drag when axle is tightened, loosen axle and wheel spins freely. Hub hardly has any hours on it. The previous hub did the same thing. I can't imagine the bearing being bad as they feel smooth. Any ideas?
Check the hanger is in right, then put the axle trough without the wheel to check if the rear triangle is misaligned.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 11:56 Quote
Schummy wrote:

I figured that when the axle was loosen and the wheel spun better that the brakes were not the issue.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
lanham wrote:
Schummy wrote:

I figured that when the axle was loosen and the wheel spun better that the brakes were not the issue.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 11:59 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
lanham wrote:
Check the hanger is in right, then put the axle trough without the wheel to check if the rear triangle is misaligned.

I will check that. On another note when the shop put the wheel in the truing stand he said the same thing (when tightened down the wheel had resistance), so it seems likely not my bike. It's in the shop now because 5 or more spokes became lose.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 23:11 Quote
The headset on my 2016 reign started creaking recently when I get hard on the front brake. No play, just creaking under load. Pulled the headset apart and the cups look worn in an odd manner - there is a ring from the bearings worn right into each. The bearings however are fine - nice and smooth.

The crown race on the fork was also fairly loose. I was able to remove the race with a small screwdriver and pop it back on by hand. The fork steerer tube appears to be quite worn where the race presses on - all the anodizing has worn away in the front and back, where it takes the most load.

Cleaned everything, greased all mating surfaces and put everything back together. Still creaks. Any thoughts about how I can fix the creak?

The large amount of wear between the fork steerer tube and the crown race is also pretty frustrating, as the headset has never been taken apart before since I bought the bike. Is this the type of thing SRAM would warranty? The fork is less than 2 years old.

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 23:15 Quote
grahmification wrote:
The headset on my 2016 reign started creaking recently when I get hard on the front brake. No play, just creaking under load. Pulled the headset apart and the cups look worn in an odd manner - there is a ring from the bearings worn right into each. The bearings however are fine - nice and smooth.

The crown race on the fork was also fairly loose. I was able to remove the race with a small screwdriver and pop it back on by hand. The fork steerer tube appears to be quite worn where the race presses on - all the anodizing has worn away in the front and back, where it takes the most load.

Cleaned everything, greased all mating surfaces and put everything back together. Still creaks. Any thoughts about how I can fix the creak?

The large amount of wear between the fork steerer tube and the crown race is also pretty frustrating, as the headset has never been taken apart before since I bought the bike. Is this the type of thing SRAM would warranty? The fork is less than 2 years old.

photo

photo

Unless it’s the fork steerer that’s moving in the crown and causing the creek (which is fairly common on pikes), I doubt it’s something Sram will warranty

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 7:14 Quote
grahmification wrote:

I would call SRAM. It might be the CSU on the fork. That’s what happened on mine. I had to get new uppers. Also maybe get a new crown race and see if that helps.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 7:19 Quote
Could have been a improperly installed race from day one. If installed correctly does it say in place now? If not I would take it to the shop you got it. Could be something they screwed up or something Giant screwed up.

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 12:26 Quote
How does it look like when race installed improperly?
I mean, if visualy it's ok, is there any ways to find out that it's installed improperly?

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 13:30 Quote
ka81 wrote:
How does it look like when race installed improperly?
I mean, if visualy it's ok, is there any ways to find out that it's installed improperly?
It should fit super tight.

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 13:44 Quote
mfoga wrote:
Could have been a improperly installed race from day one. If installed correctly does it say in place now? If not I would take it to the shop you got it. Could be something they screwed up or something Giant screwed up.
Headset cups are installed in the factory - LBS have nothing to do with it, so it'd be a Giant issue.

Get the verniers out and measure if the HT is ovalized.

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 14:01 Quote
CSU imo. Put your fork on the ground with blocks supporting the dropouts and top of steerer. Then step on the triple crown and listen. Flip the fork 180 degrees to apply load from other side and repeat. Find your heaviest friend to assist if your a flyweight.

Posted: Aug 8, 2018 at 17:10 Quote
juanpkumicho wrote:
I need help, 2016 Reign 2, 1x10 with e13 42t extender and XT cassette.

Recently my chain started slipping over my very very worn out 42t range extender. The 42t cog was super worn, the chain was long, so I changed the chain and extender. I spend most of my uphills there since my local track is a ~600 m (vertical) climb in technical single track, so the rest of the cassette is like new.

Changed the chain (KMC 10v), and put new e13 42t extender on, same as before just because it is cheap. Now it is not slipping over the 42t, but I am getting some kind of ghost shifts or like very short drops in load torque, just in the 42t cog, everything else works PERFECT. It is like it was trying to shift gear but never does, but IS NOT the typical out of adjustment sound where it is trying to shift gear all the time even without load. This is different,it is not all the time, it happens under load, but sometimes just low load, other times needs bigger load. If pedalling on flat or even decent gradient it won't happen, and of course I can't reproduce it on the bike stand.

I have checked everything, cable adjustment (and tried to go far both ways), hanger, the derrailleur, b-tension (seems to go better if I keep it close to the cassette), top-outs, pivot play, rollers, and so on, everything seems normal and not weird at all. It is not the freehub because I can go into 2nd gear (36t) and pedal like a monster and everything works fine, the problem is that I am not fit enough to climb these trails in 2nd gear without almost dying. The only difference with my previous (perfectly working for 2 years) setup is that I left the chain 1 full extra link longer than before to have more to cut if necessary, but it is still within range, has tension all thru the range.

I am running out of options or guesses, my only guess is that, since the chainline in this 42t cog is a bit diagonal, the new chain needs some "loosening" or "wear-in", but I have never heard of this (not much experience in drivetrains really). I have done about 50 km only so far, so maybe this is it? When I first converted to 1x10 the bike already had some good miles on it, so the chain was definitely more worn in and loose. Anyone could share an experience or some value?

Those 2019 Reigns look mint.

Anybody help?

The problem does not seem to get completely solved, riding has made it better but it's still there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016021
Mobile Version of Website