2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 0:49 Quote
I am looking at getting a 2015 Giant Reign Small for my young teenage son. The seller is fairly honest about the bike and it is a good price. The main issue is that the Giant dropper seatpost is beyond repair so we will need a new one. I know the diameter will be 30.9 but what length post will fit this size Reign. Thanks in advance from the UK. Laurence

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 2:08 Quote
threerock wrote:
I am looking at getting a 2015 Giant Reign Small for my young teenage son. The seller is fairly honest about the bike and it is a good price. The main issue is that the Giant dropper seatpost is beyond repair so we will need a new one. I know the diameter will be 30.9 but what length post will fit this size Reign. Thanks in advance from the UK. Laurence
any will fit. The question us about riders inseam.

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 2:35 Quote
ka81 wrote:
threerock wrote:
any will fit. The question us about riders inseam.

^^This.

Seat tube on the small reign is 380mm long, which means that the max insertion of a post is about 100mm vs the large's 200mm (same pivot & seat tube bend location, which is the limiting factor)

Therefore any dropper / post you buy needs to take his current measurement (ideal saddle height, measure distance from top of seat tube clamp to saddle rails) and add that to the max 100mm insertion, to get the max dropper length that he can have.

It may be that he can't fit any dropper in there, but you may be lucky. May have to rely on the old style manual dropper (QR)

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 3:56 Quote
Great. Thanks for the advice. The 100 insertion sounds like the limiting factor. That and the curve ball of teenage growth spurts.

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 4:01 Quote
threerock wrote:
Great. Thanks for the advice. The 100 insertion sounds like the limiting factor. That and the curve ball of teenage growth spurts.

Yep. Probably best to get a solid post.

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 16:54 Quote
threerock wrote:

Check out the OneUp dropper post. Available in 30.9 and loads of drop lengths. You can fit a shim to reduce the travel from the standard drop too (from memory you can reduce it by up to 30mm)

Seems perfect for what you’re looking for, as you can effectively increase the length of the dropper as your son grows

As for reliability, I’ve been running the 170mm model for about 8 months now and I’ve had no problems whatsoever

Hope this helps

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 1:43 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:
Schummy wrote:
The 2015 -2017 Reigns do not perform well with coil springs, hi leverage values mean you have to use really heavy spring rates to combat bottoming out all the time. That means your small bump suffers terribly. There are already people who have mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Both mine and my mates 2015 reigns are working flawlessly with a CCDB Inline coil at the right spring rates. Excellent small bump sensitivity and support. It's still a progressive leverage rate, so coils work. They just work *better* on the new one. Granted, we don't ride super hard and favour more technical terrain over large jumps and drops, but neither of us have any problems with bottoming out.

I can confirm bottoming out with coil. I have this season on DVO Jade, tried different spring rates. It's all good during average riding, but when it comes to fast strikes on high speed - it bottoms out easily. As for example, your can try to ride down the stairs with good amount of speed, or hit the rock with your rear wheel on speed. Playing with LSC/HSC doesn't solve the problem. Now trying to revalve stock shimstack to add more compression.
I also ride stock air monarch. Not bad at all. Feels poppy and easy to jump up everithing on your way. Coil just give you more planted feeling and gives more contact on rough rocky terrain.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 8:08 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:
threerock wrote:

Nope that's not true. I myself have Giant Reign 2016 size Small, I'm only 170cm tall and rocking 125mm dropper post but with outer cable routing. Hope this help. 100mm dropper sucks !

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 8:14 Quote
tulipanek wrote:
cptmayhem wrote:
threerock wrote:

Nope that's not true. I myself have Giant Reign 2016 size Small, I'm only 170cm tall and rocking 125mm dropper post but with outer cable routing. Hope this help. 100mm dropper sucks !

Yeah, but the "young teenage son" may not be 170cm tall, like you are. Great that you can rock a 125 tho.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 9:01 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:
tulipanek wrote:
cptmayhem wrote:

Yeah, but the "young teenage son" may not be 170cm tall, like you are. Great that you can rock a 125 tho.

I am only 5 foot 4 , have a 2019 small Reign, with 100 dropper and have to adjust it higher for climbing height. It means 125 dropper is still better insertion wise and climbing height setting

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 9:09 Quote
anyone used CCDB Inline on Reign ? any problems ?

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 10:17 Quote
celedonio wrote:

I am only 5 foot 4 , have a 2019 small Reign, with 100 dropper and have to adjust it higher for climbing height. It means 125 dropper is still better insertion wise and climbing height setting

Old giant dropper? Reason I ask is that those things are STUPIDLY long for their drop, and the 125mm is actually shorter overall and above the collar.

Still doesn't change that the little guy's saddle height measurement needs to be checked before buying a dropper for him.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 10:18 Quote
razorjack wrote:
anyone used CCDB Inline on Reign ? any problems ?

Air or coil?

Air suffers from sealdemolitis due to the high leverage rate (their seals explode)

Coil = amazing. Running the inline coil at the moment and it's brilliant.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 14:39 Quote
Schummy wrote:
The 2015 -2017 Reigns do not perform well with coil springs, hi leverage values mean you have to use really heavy spring rates to combat bottoming out all the time. That means your small bump suffers terribly. There are already people who have mentioned it earlier in this thread.

How about MRP Hazzard with progressive spring?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010618
Mobile Version of Website