2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Author Message
Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 5:34 Quote
Hi folks! I have a suspension setup question. What is the correct sag amount for '15 Reign?

I run a coil shock and stuck between the spring rates. I have 450 and 500lbs springs wich give 31% and 26% sag accordindly. All with no additional prelaod. First one feels livier and plush, but it always feels riding deeper in the travel. Second one is firmer and more "poppy" and I noticebly sit higher on bike.

So I wonder wich setup is right and what spring should I go with.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 9:07 Quote
sayrius wrote:
Hi folks! I have a suspension setup question. What is the correct sag amount for '15 Reign?

I run a coil shock and stuck between the spring rates. I have 450 and 500lbs springs wich give 31% and 26% sag accordindly. All with no additional prelaod. First one feels livier and plush, but it always feels riding deeper in the travel. Second one is firmer and more "poppy" and I noticebly sit higher on bike.

So I wonder wich setup is right and what spring should I go with.

Either one will work, but I would go with the lighter spring and add a little preload if you are doing something with a lot of pedaling or just want a firmer feel.

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 8:10 Quote
Has anyone with the Fox X2 shock removed the red volume spacer limiter and added an extra spacer? Supposedly you can do it if your not maxing out the air pressure. This is for 2015-2017 reigns without the trunnion Mount.

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 8:16 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
Has anyone with the Fox X2 shock removed the red volume spacer limiter and added an extra spacer? Supposedly you can do it if your not maxing out the air pressure. This is for 2015-2017 reigns without the trunnion Mount.

I think you should be ok. The guy in this video goes over that exact thing. Worth a watch


Posted: Mar 8, 2019 at 9:41 Quote
Hello guys!

I ride a giant reign advanced 1 from 2016 (actually i got a frame replaced and i got the advanced 0 2017) any way, I wanted to change the fork (pike rc dual position 160mm) to a fox 36 170mm. I dont mind if it will f*ck the uphill geometry, I still have some legs to pedal up...

Does someone have done that? I know sx models of the year came with 170mm on the fork.. And Joan barelly used to ride 170 fork aswell...

What offset do u guys recomend? 44 or 37??
The frame is size M

And but the way I have allready changed the shox for a fox x2 factory... It did really gave a New Life to the bike, way better than the monarch rc+ debonair on every single aspect... And they say that changing the fork i will feel even more the cahnges on the bike...

Can u guys help me arround with my choises?

Ouu and I'm from Chile, here we ride everything, from plain crosscountry trails to step dh trails on the andes (more likely what I do)

Cheers

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
Mwinter wrote:
Hello guys!

I ride a giant reign advanced 1 from 2016 (actually i got a frame replaced and i got the advanced 0 2017) any way, I wanted to change the fork (pike rc dual position 160mm) to a fox 36 170mm. I dont mind if it will f*ck the uphill geometry, I still have some legs to pedal up...

Does someone have done that? I know sx models of the year came with 170mm on the fork.. And Joan barelly used to ride 170 fork aswell...

What offset do u guys recomend? 44 or 37??
The frame is size M

And but the way I have allready changed the shox for a fox x2 factory... It did really gave a New Life to the bike, way better than the monarch rc+ debonair on every single aspect... And they say that changing the fork i will feel even more the cahnges on the bike...

Can u guys help me arround with my choises?

Ouu and I'm from Chile, here we ride everything, from plain crosscountry trails to step dh trails on the andes (more likely what I do)

Cheers
I put a Fox 36 at 170mm on my 2017 Reign Advanced. It doesn’t make a huge difference but what little it does is all good. It helps the descending without hurting the climbing. I have the standard 27.5 Fox 36 offset and it’s fine for me. I definitely recommend it.

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
Not a 170mm, but...I recently (and temporarily) have a 180mm on my '16 Advanced 1.

Huge difference in virtual top tube length, the slackened seat angle makes for a lot more cockpit length. It used to be long and just perfect on long climbs. Now the fit is pretty far off and it's uncomfortable. Combined with the lighter front end and slack seat angle climbing is a chore.

Also longer fork decreased standover clearance more than I would have thought possible. Bike is TALL now.

Longer travel and slacker head angle differences were nice, but less noticeable than above drawbacks IME. I'll be swapping airshaft out for a 160mm asap.

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
I put a Fox 36 at 170mm on my 2017 Reign Advanced. It doesn’t make a huge difference but what little it does is all good. It helps the descending without hurting the climbing. I have the standard 27.5 Fox 36 offset and it’s fine for me. I definitely recommend it.

Sound nice! I Will give it a try with The 44mm offset then

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 11:42 Quote
Mrbeau wrote:
Not a 170mm, but...I recently (and temporarily) have a 180mm on my '16 Advanced 1.

Huge difference in virtual top tube length, the slackened seat angle makes for a lot more cockpit length. It used to be long and just perfect on long climbs. Now the fit is pretty far off and it's uncomfortable. Combined with the lighter front end and slack seat angle climbing is a chore.

Also longer fork decreased standover clearance more than I would have thought possible. Bike is TALL now.

Longer travel and slacker head angle differences were nice, but less noticeable than above drawbacks IME. I'll be swapping airshaft out for a 160mm asap.

Not gonna try the 170mm airshaft? Even the sx came with it...

Btw if i get a 180mm and change the airshaft to 170mm, the height will be of a 180 that travels 170? Or it will lower the height to 170mm??

Im dreaming with the factory Orange...

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 12:09 Quote
I'm going with a 160mm. 170mm might be nice. Leery of slackening out the seat tube or changing cockpit length at all though as things were perfect with the 160 geo.

Change the airshaft out to a 170 and you've got a straight up 170 fork.

This must be a source of confusion for a lot of people. I just bought a new 180mm Lyrik for $600, plus a $40 160mm airshaft which will take 15 min to swap in. The shop also had an otherwise identical160mm Lyrik for sale for $1100...
????

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
Or you can buy dpa spring in case with lyrik. Thich gives you 180 travel to descend and 150 travel for long climbs.

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
I do love the DPA forks! Had a Pike and Lyric U-turn previously.

However I was bummed to learn that I couldn't upgrade the stock Pike DPA air shaft to the Debonair air shaft, as the chassis lacks a dimple. I sold the Pike DPA for an upgradable and hopefully more future proof Lyrik.

I decided to go with the non-DPA when I picked up the Lyrik mostly for fear of not being able to upgrade the DPA in the future, but also because the already low Reign bottom bracket drops just too low for my local chunky climb with the DPA.

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 20:16 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
Mwinter wrote:
Hello guys!

I ride a giant reign advanced 1 from 2016 (actually i got a frame replaced and i got the advanced 0 2017) any way, I wanted to change the fork (pike rc dual position 160mm) to a fox 36 170mm. I dont mind if it will f*ck the uphill geometry, I still have some legs to pedal up...

Does someone have done that? I know sx models of the year came with 170mm on the fork.. And Joan barelly used to ride 170 fork aswell...

What offset do u guys recomend? 44 or 37??
The frame is size M

And but the way I have allready changed the shox for a fox x2 factory... It did really gave a New Life to the bike, way better than the monarch rc+ debonair on every single aspect... And they say that changing the fork i will feel even more the cahnges on the bike...

Can u guys help me arround with my choises?

Ouu and I'm from Chile, here we ride everything, from plain crosscountry trails to step dh trails on the andes (more likely what I do)

Cheers
I put a Fox 36 at 170mm on my 2017 Reign Advanced. It doesn’t make a huge difference but what little it does is all good. It helps the descending without hurting the climbing. I have the standard 27.5 Fox 36 offset and it’s fine for me. I definitely recommend it.

My 2019 Reign Advanced
29er Fox 36 170 paired with 29er wheel/tyre

Have yet to ride it for at least 2 hours in my local trail.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
Reignrob wrote:
theMISSIONARY wrote:
i am a fat bastard who rides heavy.... and i have yet to destroy my Hope Pro4 wheels
I destroyed my hope tech dh rims on first ride with dh spec wire bead Magic mary and 30 psi. There made of cheese imo. Going back to dt Swiss.

I know everyone has a preference but magic mary is nothing but headaches on all of my bikes. I have taken off and thrown them all away. I pop them, i cut them, they roll on the rim, they ding rims, i have to run ridiculously high pressure to protect against it. Dont know about Hope tech personally but friends run em with minions and never break them. Problem could be due to the tire.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 2:00 Quote
machchicken wrote:
Reignrob wrote:
theMISSIONARY wrote:
i am a fat bastard who rides heavy.... and i have yet to destroy my Hope Pro4 wheels
I destroyed my hope tech dh rims on first ride with dh spec wire bead Magic mary and 30 psi. There made of cheese imo. Going back to dt Swiss.

I know everyone has a preference but magic mary is nothing but headaches on all of my bikes. I have taken off and thrown them all away. I pop them, i cut them, they roll on the rim, they ding rims, i have to run ridiculously high pressure to protect against it. Dont know about Hope tech personally but friends run em with minions and never break them. Problem could be due to the tire.

i have buggered two minions so far,one DHF ripped a side wall mid race the second was a hole in the tread of a DHR...the MM i had no issue with but at the price you can get almost two minions so thats what i did till recently......trying some Onza's


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019713
Mobile Version of Website