2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
O+
Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 4:58 Quote
Just take a page out Loris's book and try everything lol

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 5:14 Quote
mc2 wrote:
I'm 90 kg kitted and I settled on a 500 on a 2016 reign. Looking at the 2018, I think the spring rate will be a fair bit lighter because the shock stroke is longer (65mm vs 57 on the old reign). When I put my numbers into tf tuned spring calculator and just changed the shock stroke it looks like 400 would be about right on a 2018. but id talk with tf tuned as well, especially if they've revalved the shock

What I found was that the sag was almost identical with all 3 coils I tried, possibly because it's so plush in the first part of the stroke (So you can get a high sag %, even if you're a bit oversprung). so you may not go over 30% even with a slightly lighter spring on there.

You're right i think the 2018 will be a bit different as I read somewhere that Giant made the frame 15% more progressive from 2018 onwards.

I think I see what you mean now. I guess because you have that multi linkage design, it may be that even with a softer spring the sag doesn't really enter that 'next bit' of the travel. Think I will order a 400 and see what it's like.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
Alright guys!

Quick questions for all the folk who have not been gifted with normal sized legs...

Has anybody managed to find a dropper that fits in a Small Reign (2017) and actually sits flush?

Currently running a 125mm reverb that still has an inch below the collar, with no way of lowering it any more (I've already removed the connectamajig to shorted a slight bit).

Would be great to be able to drop it flush, looked at the Oneup V2 but looking for any real life success.

Cheers Big Grin

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 9:55 Quote
Vital test lists insertion deptha: https://m.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Dropper-Posts,1762

Couple years old, there are others out now, I believe KS Lev had the shortest collar to base /\.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 1:37 Quote
Mrbeau wrote:
Vital test lists insertion deptha: https://m.vitalmtb.com/features/Vital-MTB-Face-Off-The-Best-Dropper-Posts,1762

Couple years old, there are others out now, I believe KS Lev had the shortest collar to base /\.

Cheers mate!
Very useful information on there, the Oneup V2 Dropper is another 7mm shorter than the shortest on that list too so think that should work

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 6:22 Quote
Has anyone tried fitting a One-Up Dropper V2 150mm into a Reign 2017 frame size Medium? Does it slam all the way down?

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
twijg wrote:
Has anyone tried fitting a One-Up Dropper V2 150mm into a Reign 2017 frame size Medium? Does it slam all the way down?
I have not but no way it will fit all the way in unless someone’s specs are quite a bit off. The KS lev leaves about 20-30mm (not by my bike) and the One up insert is only 3mm shorter.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 6:30 Quote
Okay, thanks for the info!

mfoga wrote:
twijg wrote:
I have not but no way it will fit all the way in unless someone’s specs are quite a bit off. The KS lev leaves about 20-30mm (not by my bike) and the One up insert is only 3mm shorter.

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 3:16 Quote
So.... New Reign for 2020. Looks insaaane.

Anyway. Spamming pics of me and my 2015 RA1 on some of my local trails. LOOOOVE this bike!!

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 4:31 Quote
Well that was disappointing. I was hoping for something with more rear travel not something with just a tad more than my everyday bike. I guess its either get a cheap 2019 on clearance or find something different.

Anyone know how heavy the 2019 Sx 1 is?

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 4:36 Quote
mfoga wrote:
Well that was disappointing. I was hoping for something with more rear travel not something with just a tad more than my everyday bike. I guess its either get a cheap 2019 on clearance or find something different.

Anyone know how heavy the 2019 Sx 1 is?

yeeeah, BUT - you can't just determine how a bike will perform based on its rear travel number. It may be even more of a bruiser than teh 160mm 275 version. No, it's not 160mm, but it's a revised linkage with a far lower leverage ratio, which may result in a very similar ride to the 275 version.

I wouldn't write it off until you ride one, to be honest.

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
cptmayhem wrote:
So.... New Reign for 2020. Looks insaaane.

Anyway. Spamming pics of me and my 2015 RA1 on some of my local trails. LOOOOVE this bike!!

Amazing how far ahead of it's time the 2015 was eh? Some big manufacturers still haven't caught up to that bike. Absolutely still a modern relevant bike today.

As far as the 2020, looks brilliant. There may be a caveat though. I recommend giving the long travel 29ers in general a good long demo on a variety of trails before diving in, especially if you're not a tall rider (I'm only 5'10").

I demo'd a couple of them on steep Cypress trails, if your trail is not tight-low-speed-vertical you're mileage may vary. The tire butt buzzing and unexpected bail outs on sharp turns to roll-ins had me perplexed...and sold on long travel 27.5 for life. Or maybe a mullet.

On fast wide open stuff the long travel 29 was amazing though. Climbing and general roll-over was great too. Interestingly that same demo convinced me to shop for a short travel 29. Trance is on my short list.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 6:47 Quote
Mrbeau wrote:
Amazing how far ahead of it's time the 2015 was eh? Some big manufacturers still haven't caught up to that bike. Absolutely still a modern relevant bike today.

As far as the 2020, looks brilliant. There may be a caveat though. I recommend giving the long travel 29ers in general a good long demo on a variety of trails before diving in, especially if you're not a tall rider (I'm only 5'10").

I demo'd a couple of them on steep Cypress trails, if your trail is not tight-low-speed-vertical you're mileage may vary. The tire butt buzzing and unexpected bail outs on sharp turns to roll-ins had me perplexed...and sold on long travel 27.5 for life. Or maybe a mullet.

On fast wide open stuff the long travel 29 was amazing though. Climbing and general roll-over was great too. Interestingly that same demo convinced me to shop for a short travel 29. Trance is on my short list.

Absolutely, man. I mean, the reach is 458mm on the large, with a 640mm top tube. Recent large frames don't have that longer top tube, but they have the reach at or above this 458mm on the 2k15-2k17 Reign. In terms of reach, this is perfect for me and the trails I ride. Not super steep, but more slow tech is what I LIKE to ride. I'm also not all that fast, but with the current setup, it's a bloody capable bike that I can only dream of allowing it to get to its full potential. It's a tank that likes to listen to "BOUNCE" from SoaD. And it eats eeeeverything in its path. If I let it.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 at 7:19 Quote
For me the new Reign 2020 29er (there is a 27.5 option also from what I can see on the dealer sites which is unchanged) is what I was looking after riding the 2015 (when I passed from Trek Slash 2012). Thank god they redesigned it this year!

Reign 2015 vs Slash 2012 improvements
- longer reach and TT, slacker and lower
- faster (over bumps it was significantly faster then the 26" Slash, was it the kinematics or the wheels, I'll never know) and safer on the jumps (because of the larger bike)
- lighter (2015 alu frame is light!)

Reign 29er 2020 vs 2015
- higher seattube angle (mostly ride fireroads and it is easier to pedal when more upright)
- little less travel for my usual rides/mountains
- 29er gobels over roots and rocks!

Ima 6 feet, and will be getting a Large. Now I'm on a 50mm stem (original), since the seat tube is more upright, the cockpit will be def shorter than on the older frame.

When will they start shipping the pre-ordered bikes ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.029726
Mobile Version of Website