2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Dec 4, 2019 at 23:41 Quote
Has anyone tried an Ohlins STX22 air on the 2015-2017 reign frame?

Certainly looks sexy, but I'm not too sure about that air spring compared to a Fox X2 for example, the Ohlins one looks a bit small.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
juanpkumicho wrote:
Has anyone tried an Ohlins STX22 air on the 2015-2017 reign frame?

Certainly looks sexy, but I'm not too sure about that air spring compared to a Fox X2 for example, the Ohlins one looks a bit small.

I run a stx22 on a -15 advanced. Works great. Can’t compare with X2 but way better than both the stock rt3 plus and a vivid rc2 coil. There is a photo earlier in this thread.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 0:10 Quote
Hey guys , Im search for new rims with wider profile 25mm+ ...
Now Im interested , what would be maximum width of rim (inner/out) and max.width of tyre for Reign ?

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
kaki wrote:
Now Im interested , what would be maximum width of rim (inner/out) and max.width of tyre for Reign ?

Hi!
I am using 35mm internal width rims with 2.6 "Maxxis DHF-DHR on a 2016 Reign Advanced.

In the back wheel it is too tight, it should be less than half an inch of space. I do not recommend using more than 2.6 on the back wheel.
On the front wheel it will obviously depend on the fork. I am using a 2016 Lyrik and there is even less space left, I cannot install a decent fender because the wheel does not spin. When I pass through a muddy place, the wheel locks immediately
Other forks like Fox and the newer Rockshox do have enough space to install a 2.6 "tire

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 7:30 Quote
kaki wrote:
I really do not recommend to put anything greater than true 2.35 tyre, especially if you want to ride in mud. 28-30mm id rim should be fine.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
Thanks for the reply, I meant to go to max.30mm internal, so outer max.35mm. with tyre 2.4 (HR2).
The rear wheel must have a prominent space between the frame and the tire, as I ride in muddy conditions as well.

So the main quest is whether I would go for the 30mm inner width (DT EX 511) with the 2.4 tyre, and if there would be enough clearance between the frame and the tire?

I ride 2016 .1.5LTD

On front is not problem, there is boost lyrik...

Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 22:53 Quote
Hi everyone,
I ride a reign 2015 ith some upgrades. I bought it new and I am happy with it since then.
With all the new bikes on the market and put in our faces, I am starting to think about buying a new one.
My question is: is a new bike really better?
When I compare the geometry of new enduro bikes, it seems like the 2015 reign is still in the game (except the seat post angle though).

What do you think?

Posted: Dec 29, 2019 at 3:13 Quote
you mean new Reigns or ANY new enduro-bikes to choose?

new Reigns (from 2017) have new type of upper link, people say it's way better..

Posted: Dec 29, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
I am talking about any kind of new bike...

Posted: Dec 29, 2019 at 11:54 Quote
Gregvart wrote:
I am talking about any kind of new bike...

If you have money and need for a new bike, go for it !
First think if you would ride it better than this, are you on a bike everyday, are you riding a trail you can't pass with that bike, and a new one will handle it - what an old bike can't ...?

It started out like electronics, if you have that much money - you can keep track of it - but the usage is the same...

I ride 2016 Reign , also bought it new , changed everything on him ex.seatpost...

Posted: Dec 29, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
I'm in the same boat (Reign 2 2015). I've been reading and watching some youtubers that compare the new 29er Reign to the previous version and to other bikes.
Conclusion: with good shock, 2015+ can hold its line against newer bikes (Singletrack article). 5000-6000$ is not worth the "upgrade" but it never is. 2015 Seatpost angle is outdated and 29er has it resolved.
Many youtubers that tested many bikes say the new 29er is excellent, some say it is best riding bike till that day (one compared it to new Santa cruzes Megatower and Bronson, and personally owns a reign 2019 I think). Search YouTube and you'll find it. Bike Magazine got a good review in their Bible bike test also.
From what I see, the new 29er is still in the lighter spectrum of the bunch. Not light as 2015/2016 but still...

I'm not sure if to go again with new reign 29er since my experience with Giant has been stellar, or to go shorter travel.

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
I've had the 2015 Reign 1, the 2017 Reign Adv 1, the 2019 Reign Adv 0 and now I'm on the 2020 Reign 29er SX.

The 15-17 frame compared to the new 19 27.5 frame wasn't much of a change, the small bump was better, and they added a bit of reach, it felt more like you'd upgraded your components than you were riding a new frame.

The 29er is a different story though, it is a vast improvement on the 27.5 (Bearing in mind I am 6"2' and love the bigger wheels) I rate it really highly, I've not ridden anything from other brands to compare it too though, but if you like the 27.5 one, the 29er feels just like home. If you've ridden the Trance 29er, it feels like it's got the sprightliness of that mixed with the plow confidence of the 27.5 Reign.

I like it more for the increased performance on the flatter/tamer trails where you've got to pedal to keep speed, it does the rough stuff the same if not better than the 27.5, but it just feels like more of an all rounder now, not something you groan about doing a grade 3/4 on. And I'm not way off the back of the group on the climbs now haha.

Posted: Jan 1, 2020 at 13:16 Quote
Bravo for the post!

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 2:52 Quote
Has anyone tried 29" fork with their 27.5" Reign?
Conclusions?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006447
Mobile Version of Website