2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Sep 22, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
LeoInclan wrote:
HELP!

So I'm still running my trusty 2015 reign 2. She runs well and I love her, but today tragedy hast struck:

Some idiot (me) put the rear axle (modded when the maxle handle thing broke off years ago) into the frame without the hub, as the tyre was being patched up and I didn't want to lose the axle.

I apparently went far too tight and now my axle is stuck on the "a" piece that has the thread.

I can't unscrew it and I don't know how to do this without damaging the axle. help me?

(I've removed the A piece and the axle from the bike, but I still can't get it out)

I had a stuck stripped out aluminum bolt recently that I just hammered a torx of similar size into, came right out. I'm so lazy I used the same torx next two times I unscrewed that bolt out before finally replacing it. lol

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
Anybody own or ridden the 2020 Reign Advanced 27.5? Some good deals at the LBS right now but can’t seem to find many reviews online. Coming from a 2017 Reign 1 and wondering if it’s worth the upgrade.
[reign advanced 27.5](https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/reign-advanced-2020)

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
BSV wrote:
Anybody own or ridden the 2020 Reign Advanced 27.5? Some good deals at the LBS right now but can’t seem to find many reviews online. Coming from a 2017 Reign 1 and wondering if it’s worth the upgrade.

I went to a 2018 which I think is pretty close to the 2020. You get boost in the rear (bonus) and it's made for a coil shock (that's my understanding). Other than that it still feels the same but I am not "expert" enough to notice the little things.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 13:16 Quote
Hi people. Anyone with old reigns (2015-2016) seeing the anodizing on their Contact dropper wearing out?

Mine is very worn out. I think it might be my fault as a while back I removed the threaded collar and lubed all with grease from the outside. The seal on the threaded collar doesn't actually seal, so if I grease the top bushing, the stanchion ends up all greased after cycling it. Then dirt gets stuck to the grease, and then you have kind of a nasty, gray grit compound.

I did a bit of "service" and cleaning today, re-lubed and all, but I have one doubt. Should I grease the top bushing like there's no tomorrow or just the bottom plastic "keys". I re-built it by lubing just the keys but feel that there is a lot of friction, so I'm tempted to lube the top bushing, but then I know that I will get dirt in there once more.

Any experiences regarding the dropper are welcomed! Smile

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 14:27 Quote
BSV wrote:

The 2020 is a tad more progressive in the geo department compared to the 2017. It shouldn't be a night and day difference, assuming your current model is in good shape.
You get the unlimited 2 yr warranty on the carbon front triangle in case you mess up. I'll also say that you *need* inserts for those TR1 wheels, imo. The hookless profile is super, super thin, unlike their carbon offerings. That thin bead seemed pretty strong, but it also slices through tires no problem, no matter what casing.
I will say unless you're running it for primarily park use, the new 29er is a much easier all-rounder to live with, if this is your main rig. Also, resale value if you're into that. I have a '19 which is the same, except with DVO suspension instead of the fox on the model you linked. I found the stack height a bit low, and the seat angle a bit slack. A slightly higher rise bar and pushing the seat pretty much all the way forward helped with that. However, if you've got a killer sale lined up, the used market is offering top dollar for just about any bike at this point.

@juanpkumicho Anodizing wears out pretty quickly, especially on the older models. Kind of comes with the territory, shouldn't be your fault for greasing it as long as you weren't smearing it all over with grease. Unscrewing the collar, cleaning above and below, and putting some slickoleum on it does help it feel much more smoothly. Once the anodizing starts getting worn off and the shaft is grooved, it's not going to feel smooth ever again. The contact droppers aren't a high end piece, but they're very simple to work on and maintain.

If you're setting up from new, triflow in the cable housing, a higher quality stainless cable than what comes stock, and some sealed housing stops, along with pre-stretching and tensioning the cable before tightening down the grub screw at the lever will give you a very light lever throw (as would going with a nicer aftermarket lever!) compared to how many bike shops set them up. Greasing the shaft will only go so far; as the bushings do wear out under heavier riders within a few seasons, especially on the reigns.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
jasminov wrote:
jasminov wrote:
Reign Advanced 1 2016
Stock fork 160mm, 15x100.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/reign-advanced-27dot5-1-2016

Thinking about getting some new fork.
First question is about standards: 99% of forks today are 15x110 BOOST versions. Is there any issues about using that kind of forks with that bike? Yup, I know I'll have to get a new hub 15x110 boost.

Second question: thinking about DVO Diamond D1 170mm, 15x110 boost.
https://dvosuspension.com/fork/diamond-d1/
170mm meaning - 150 to 170 travel. I guess I can adjust that fork to 160mm, but - what if using 170mm, any issues?

Thanx.

One more questio please:

what if - instaling DVO Diamond 29" - 150mm - 51mm Offset - Tapered - 15x100mm ??
Yup, I'm talking about going "mullet".. )

First question: no issue. The boost fork will be much wider in terms of tire clearance, too.

Second question: look at the axle to crown measurements for the amounts of travel you're planning on using, and take stock of how you set the bike up and where you ride. Could be about an inch of difference AC, not to mention that giant was still using custom short offsets in the timeframe of your bike, IIRC.

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
juanpkumicho wrote:
Hi people. Anyone with old reigns (2015-2016) seeing the anodizing on their Contact dropper wearing out?

Mine is very worn out. I think it might be my fault as a while back I removed the threaded collar and lubed all with grease from the outside. The seal on the threaded collar doesn't actually seal, so if I grease the top bushing, the stanchion ends up all greased after cycling it. Then dirt gets stuck to the grease, and then you have kind of a nasty, gray grit compound.

I did a bit of "service" and cleaning today, re-lubed and all, but I have one doubt. Should I grease the top bushing like there's no tomorrow or just the bottom plastic "keys". I re-built it by lubing just the keys but feel that there is a lot of friction, so I'm tempted to lube the top bushing, but then I know that I will get dirt in there once more.

Any experiences regarding the dropper are welcomed! Smile

i have destroyed three Giant droppers,they all wear out in the area near the seal,i am having a much better run with X-Fusion post

Posted: Oct 1, 2020 at 5:56 Quote
[Quote="parkourfan"]
BSV wrote:

@juanpkumicho Anodizing wears out pretty quickly, especially on the older models. Kind of comes with the territory, shouldn't be your fault for greasing it as long as you weren't smearing it all over with grease. Unscrewing the collar, cleaning above and below, and putting some slickoleum on it does help it feel much more smoothly. Once the anodizing starts getting worn off and the shaft is grooved, it's not going to feel smooth ever again. The contact droppers aren't a high end piece, but they're very simple to work on and maintain.

Thank you for your feedback! It's still good not super duper worn out, and it's been 5 years so I can't really complain. I'll remove the collar and put suspension grease on the bushing and try to keep on cleaning out dirt before it becomes a thick grit compound.

I'll try to squeeze it to the point when I sell the bike.

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
BSV wrote:

The 2020 is a tad more progressive in the geo department compared to the 2017. It shouldn't be a night and day difference, assuming your current model is in good shape.
You get the unlimited 2 yr warranty on the carbon front triangle in case you mess up. I'll also say that you *need* inserts for those TR1 wheels, imo. The hookless profile is super, super thin, unlike their carbon offerings. That thin bead seemed pretty strong, but it also slices through tires no problem, no matter what casing.
I will say unless you're running it for primarily park use, the new 29er is a much easier all-rounder to live with, if this is your main rig. Also, resale value if you're into that. I have a '19 which is the same, except with DVO suspension instead of the fox on the model you linked. I found the stack height a bit low, and the seat angle a bit slack. A slightly higher rise bar and pushing the seat pretty much all the way forward helped with that. However, if you've got a killer sale lined up, the used market is offering top dollar for just about any bike
Thanks for the input in this one. I might see how it goes on the market and if it sells it sells. At the end of the day it’s still a great bike and I probably don’t need a new one right away. Cheers

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 4:44 Quote
yooooo
I have a 2015 Giant reign 1 (Orange & Yellow), i love it.

Its more bike than i need now but i wont ever change it as it handles the xc i do and has more to give when i go full enduro.....I know, never go full enduro.

More of a post to sub and say hi.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 5:35 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
Second question: look at the axle to crown measurements for the amounts of travel you're planning on using, and take stock of how you set the bike up and where you ride. Could be about an inch of difference AC, not to mention that giant was still using custom short offsets in the timeframe of your bike, IIRC.
My current Marzocchi 350NCR wit h160 mm travel has in fact 557 mm Axle to Crown.

DIAMOND D1
https://dvosuspension.com/product/diamond-d1/
Axle To Crown
27.5 – 575mm

Is it a problem?

I just can't figure out by myself all the important aspects.. (

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
jasminov wrote:
parkourfan wrote:
My current Marzocchi 350NCR wit h160 mm travel has in fact 557 mm Axle to Crown.

DIAMOND D1
https://dvosuspension.com/product/diamond-d1/
Axle To Crown
27.5 – 575mm

Is it a problem?

I just can't figure out by myself all the important aspects.. (

Sounds about the right amount of difference. I'd personally stay away.

Imagine the front wheel hovering an inch off the ground on a climb, and how far back that would push you. I wouldn't be super concerned about the extra stress on the headtube, but the extra inch will give you some floppy ass steering at low speeds.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
parkourfan wrote:

Imagine the front wheel hovering an inch off the ground on a climb, and how far back that would push you. I wouldn't be super concerned about the extra stress on the headtube, but the extra inch will give you some floppy ass steering at low speeds.
If it will clarify anything:
1. I don't climb at all.. Well, less than 1% of riding time.
2. I adore gnarly rootie rocky terrains, riding there slowly.

Am I right saying that - little bit higher front wheel will bring little bit more confidence ? More comfort according to my preffer riding?

And yes, bit concerned about stress on headtube..

By the way, they say that Diamond D1 is adjustable at travel,. So, if I install it - I will immediately reduce it to 160 mm.

Sorry for bad english.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 11:30 Quote
jasminov wrote:
parkourfan wrote:

If it will clarify anything:
1. I don't climb at all.. Well, less than 1% of riding time.
2. I adore gnarly rootie rocky terrains, riding there slowly.

Am I right saying that - little bit higher front wheel will bring little bit more confidence ? More comfort according to my preffer riding?

And yes, bit concerned about stress on headtube..

By the way, they say that Diamond D1 is adjustable at travel,. So, if I install it - I will immediately reduce it to 160 mm.

Sorry for bad english.

If you legitimately never climb with the bike, and put in offset bushings or lowered the fork travel, it'd be okay.
However, if you're moving slowly through gnarly terrain, my shorter, steeper trance 29er is much faster and easier to move around than the reign. If you're dead set on the new fork, there's those couple of things you could do to mitigate any of the bad effects.

Posted: Oct 9, 2020 at 1:12 Quote
Haven`t read all the questions regarding putting a DVO Diamond into the reign, but I´m running a Diamond in my 2016 Reign with full 170mm travel and don´t have any issue at all.
No problem with climing here in the Alps and Downhill performance is just great compared to the previous Pike RC (but that´s my opinion)

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017370
Mobile Version of Website