2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
| Next Page
Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 3:19 Quote
I'm looking for the torque specifications for my Reign 1.5 ltd 2017, anyone got this information? Especially looking for the torque specs of the suspension bolts.

I see the newer versions have the torque specs mentioned on the bolts, mine hasn't Confused

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 at 10:31 Quote
Trel wrote:
2015-2017 Giant Reign Pivot Bearings

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 at 21:37 Quote
Figured I’d jump into this epic thread to share my newest project. Picked up this ‘15 locally from another member here the other day. He’s a young ripper who had clearly ridden this thing till the wheels (almost) fell off. Trying to get the wife out on the trails with me and the kids, so figured it would be a good budget option since I work at a shop and can get a good discount on parts.

Stripped her down and found several seized pivot bearings, so out they all came. While waiting for replacements, I decided to give it a fresh look. I’m pretty handy with a spray can and 2k clear, so I went with the matte speckled finish you see. Turned out pretty awesome if I do say so myself. Was able to get the all new bearings pressed back in today, and loosely assembled. I’m going to run with the stock suspension for now, but I need to freshen up the lowers on the Pike before going any further. The drivetrain and brakes were in good shape, so I cleaned them up and got new pads and rotors. The dropper was shot, so I grabbed a new X-Fusion to replace it. Wheels are fresh Bontrager Line 30 (with six pawls) and 2.6 XR5’s. Really stoked on how she’s shaping up so far!

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 1:42 Quote
Nice paint! But I'd rather cut off ugly front derailleur mount.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 3:07 Quote
undertheradar wrote:
. I’m pretty handy with a spray can and 2k clear, so I went with the matte speckled finish you see.

Like the paint job! Very nice tup

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
sayrius wrote:
Nice paint! But I'd rather cut off ugly front derailleur mount.

Eh, it’s not too obvious with it all built up and I didn’t feel like potentially messing up the structural integrity of the frame.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 11:04 Quote
Hi guys,

Has anyone converted Giant freehubs to XD? Or anyone know if this is possible? and if so which parts are needed?

I have a Giant Reign 2 2017 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/reign-2-2017

This year I plan on upgrading to a 12-speed gear. I have my eyes set on GX 12-speed but it needs a XD Driver.

I've seen some videos showing how to convert freehubs into XD but I am unsure if this is possible the hubs that Giant provides.

On my rear hub, all I can find is this info: Giant GDC-1528 QA and cannot find anything on them.

(I know there's a NX 12-speed freehub option but I much rather upgrade to GX)

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
ShallowPunk wrote:
Hi guys,

Has anyone converted Giant freehubs to XD? Or anyone know if this is possible? and if so which parts are needed?

This year I plan on upgrading to a 12-speed gear. I have my eyes set on GX 12-speed but it needs a XD Driver.

I've seen some videos showing how to convert freehubs into XD but I am unsure if this is possible the hubs that Giant provides.

On my rear hub, all I can find is this info: Giant GDC-1528 QA and cannot find anything on them.

If that's the same as the 2016 reign 2 hubs its a Formula hub giant "branded" they are POS and i had to wait two weeks to get a replacement(second time the freehub has died) HG let alone a different one.

i use those wheels on my HT and put Hope wheels on the Reign

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
ShallowPunk wrote:
Hi guys,

I would highly suggest replacing and upgrading your rear up, if not both front and rear, so something better quality. As the comment above stated, they are garbage. I just replaced my "giant" hubs with Hope.

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Hi All,

I have a 2016 Advanced 1 Reign and still loving it - and (Covid permitting) planning on using it for an EWS100 event in Italy later this year.

I just noticed a bunch of hairline cracks in the rear triangle (in the upper piece that joins the seat stays together). Each is about 4mm long. I'm checking regularly to see if they are growing.

I'm not able to afford a new bike so I'm wondering if...
a) anyone else has experienced this
b) there is a really good 'fix' - like wrapping the piece in carbon fibre or epoxy resin
c) anyone has a spare rear triangle for sale (maybe someone whose front triangle cracked?). I understand the rear triangle was the same for all Reign frame sizes between 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Thanks for any thoughts

Posted: 23 hours ago Quote
If you were the original owner, giant would replace that for free. If you have a decent local shop that stocks giant, they should be able to get you a rear triangle at ‘crash replacement’ pricing - how much they mark it up from there/bill for their time to get it is up to them. Giant has always been good in the past about warrantying their composite components.

Rear triangles also go up for sale frequently. I wouldn’t reinforce that kind of thing myself, and it’s probably not much more to get a new triangle instead of having it professionally repaired.

Posted: 20 hours ago Quote
Hello All,

I'm looking at buying a used (very good condition) 2015 Giant Reign, but wanted to know if Giant has made any significant changes to the more recent models in terms of suspension design. Looking at the geo numbers on the giant website, it looks like it is a little bit longer and slacker, but I don't see many changes beyond that.

Anything else that might have changed I should be aware of?

Posted: 13 hours ago Quote
spizwhiz wrote:
Hello All,

I'm looking at buying a used (very good condition) 2015 Giant Reign, but wanted to know if Giant has made any significant changes to the more recent models in terms of suspension design. Looking at the geo numbers on the giant website, it looks like it is a little bit longer and slacker, but I don't see many changes beyond that.

Anything else that might have changed I should be aware of?

the suspension leverage ratio's have changed after 2017(2015,16 and 17 are the same)

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007895
Mobile Version of Website