2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 7:03 Quote
juanpkumicho wrote:
Longer and slacker is not a huge difference between 2015 and 29er versions.

I think the biggest difference is seat tube angle. Other than that, differences are minor and 2015 version is still an amazing (and extremely cheap when buying used) bike.

There’s a massive difference between the 27.5 and 29 versions, they ride like completely different bikes. You can’t look at head angle and seat angle and pretend to know what a bike will ride like. The suspension system is different, the front:rear balance while riding is different for a variety of reasons, the body position is quite different - sure the seat angle is different but if that’s your takeaway of giant finally putting a modern bike in the 29er long travel trail category, you probably need to ride a bigger variety of bikes before telling people that two very different rides have minor changes except for seat angle.

The 27.5 version has ridden pretty much the same for the past 5 years, and it’s still viable as a cheap park/enduro bike, especially in the used market. Odds are good the 27.5 reign will meet the same end as the 27.5 trance, never get updated and just get cheaper and cheaper until demand fades away. Kinda shitty, since if someone’s first ride is a $2000 trance or the park spec reign SX, there’s a ton of mid-priced rides on the market that would impress right off the bat compared to those, and giant doesn’t retain them as a customer.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
juanpkumicho wrote:
Longer and slacker is not a huge difference between 2015 and 29er versions.

I think the biggest difference is seat tube angle. Other than that, differences are minor and 2015 version is still an amazing (and extremely cheap when buying used) bike.

There’s a massive difference between the 27.5 and 29 versions, they ride like completely different bikes. You can’t look at head angle and seat angle and pretend to know what a bike will ride like. The suspension system is different, the front:rear balance while riding is different for a variety of reasons, the body position is quite different - sure the seat angle is different but if that’s your takeaway of giant finally putting a modern bike in the 29er long travel trail category, you probably need to ride a bigger variety of bikes before telling people that two very different rides have minor changes except for seat angle.

The 27.5 version has ridden pretty much the same for the past 5 years, and it’s still viable as a cheap park/enduro bike, especially in the used market. Odds are good the 27.5 reign will meet the same end as the 27.5 trance, never get updated and just get cheaper and cheaper until demand fades away. Kinda shitty, since if someone’s first ride is a $2000 trance or the park spec reign SX, there’s a ton of mid-priced rides on the market that would impress right off the bat compared to those, and giant doesn’t retain them as a customer.

I'm sorry, you are totally right. I think my reply can be misinterpreted to what you thought, so let me make it right.

I was just trying to say that the only reason the 2015 would still be "outdated" is because of the STA. The wheel size does make a hugely different ride, but wheel size is a matter of preference, so I wouldn't compare them in that sense.

In other words, if you are offered a 2015 (like the person that originally asked was) and just want to know if it is outdated or no and why, IMO it's only the STA. And that would be comparing to current 27.5 bikes (not Reigns).

Now, if the question is, is it as good as the current reign 29er as a whole package? Of course not, but I don't think that was the question. Especially considering that someone in the market for a 2015 bike clearly is not looking at new bikes, which is totally OK if that is the case.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
loris-brthlt wrote:
Hey,
Here's my updated beast. Can't wait to ride it... thank you lockdown Cry

photo
Nice, same bike

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
Hi, i have a Giant Reign 2018 1,5 GE.. I would like to know more about the wheels specs. They are a couple of P AM2 wheels, do u know the weight, the internal canal measure, are they a Formula hubs due to giant Tracker name ecc ??

Second question, do you know if is it possible to mount a coil shock instead of dpx2? Any suggestion for coil models? Is it a good choice or it will kill my bike in the pedaling efficiency?

Thanks for helping from Italy!

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2020 Giant Reign 2 27.5 and wanted a couple of questions answered. First of all I do like my bikes a little smaller for personal reasons and was wondering how the mode runs for size. I’m 5’7 with a 30 inseam and t-Rex arms for reference. Secondly I do a bit of everything when I ride from local trails to bike parks and was wondering how the bike climbs? Thanks y’all.

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
I’m 6’ dead on and had a large 2020 frame, frankly I found it a little short for my arms so if you buy the size that’s recommended for you then the shortness will probably help.

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 19:58 Quote
pimpin-gimp wrote:
I’m 6’ dead on and had a large 2020 frame, frankly I found it a little short for my arms so if you buy the size that’s recommended for you then the shortness will probably help.
Word, thanks man. The site I thought had the bike in stock doesn’t ship right now unfortunately so I’m still searching. Wish me luck.

Posted: Apr 4, 2021 at 23:49 Quote
I just saw that little line in my reign 2, 2016, will it be a fissure?

photo

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 22:41 Quote
theMISSIONARY wrote:
Frame skin?

here it looks better

photo

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 1:16 Quote
yes that could be a problem or cracked paint..... but I am on my second 2016 frame.....

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 2:48 Quote
theMISSIONARY wrote:
yes that could be a problem or cracked paint..... but I am on my second 2016 frame.....

My problem is that I am the second owner, and I have no guarantee

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
warriaza23 wrote:
theMISSIONARY wrote:

Is there a guarantee for a 2016 bike even if you were the first owner?

Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 8:00 Quote
toys19 wrote:
warriaza23 wrote:
theMISSIONARY wrote:

Is there a guarantee for a 2016 bike even if you were the first owner?

They could offer a crash replacement deal

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Anyone know the shock specs for the 2019 Reign 2? I think it is 205x62.5. Thinking about putting 205x60 or 65. Has anyone tried this? Any issues?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020583
Mobile Version of Website